Light Or Lamp

Guest Catcher

i think there is a couple of arguements that can be put forward by both parties...

FIRSTLY,

IMO, the average lad/lass heading out for a nights lamping is probably only running a lurcher with about 50% greyhound in it where as lads that are into daytime coursing are running dogs bred for the job...

SECONDLY,

hares are silly at the start of the season and can even run into the lad holdin the lamp (i turn my light off unless i want the meat) but when they get educated they dont hang around long... if i'm lamping a hare thats been lamped before i've found them just as hard as what they are during the daytime... especially when they realise that to be safe they only have to run out of the beam and in a big field with a dog thats maybe only half greyhound the dog is goin to find it tough goin....

just my opinion :)

Hi oldskool thanks for your input you have a few good points but what I am saying is irrespective of breed of dog or ground daytime is harder

I will say why.As you say when they get educated yes A hare will get wiser and run off the beam that also applys to daytime hares too

this happeds whit any ground that is usd on a regular basis as the hare will be more alert to scent and sound

A good lamping dog should return to the owner when the lamp is turned off.It is just about impossible to call off a daytime run aslong as the dog can see the hare most dogs will keep going and some dogs will try to work it back up when they have lost it plus in a daytime run the dog will have to work the hare up itself. the hare is not presented to the dog on a beam .

You sound half educated with that post catcher hope you've no got wee Bart Simpson typing for you :D

Guest Catcher
Night hares are a bit dumb i found, but defiantly harder in the day.

Thanks for your reply whippeters69 not much i can say as you agree whit me :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Brown noser! :)

it a fair topic Catcher in that picture ASBO put up my dog bang 6 out the ten that nite and was still willing two run he s took day time hares aswell

think 5 was the most in a day and the dog was blowing then but never jack try his hart out day and night but i agree with you on daytime hares are

far harder thou the day (Catcher) ;):icon_redface: KEANO

Thankyou Keano a true gent :clapper::clapper:

Night hares are a bit dumb i found, but defiantly harder in the day.

Thanks for your reply whippeters69 not much i can say as you agree whit me :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Brown noser! :)

it a fair topic Catcher in that picture ASBO put up my dog bang 6 out the ten that nite and was still willing two run he s took day time hares aswell

think 5 was the most in a day and the dog was blowing then but never jack try his hart out day and night but i agree with you on daytime hares are

far harder thou the day (Catcher) ;):icon_redface: KEANO

i also agree with you there mate ! as statrd earlier and asbo you werent even there !! :clapper::clapper: stop stealing my pictures ! :censored:

DAY , alot of hares can get very confused in the lamp, they are hard to catch day or night, but they are alot harder in the day ;) ive seen dogs that have been bred for daytime stuff, and they struggle in the day as well. :(

Guest Catcher
well my mutt has had upto 5 on the lamp in a night, and never connected with 1 in the daytime, so

I would have to say daytime are harder.

Thanks for your input Paid :clapper:

when i ran my dog of 22mnths pre ban he had caught 4 at nite before he caught 2 during day !! but i wouldnt say lampimg hares are easy by any means or standard ! atb

keano ;)

Hi Keano I had a young bitch I would let work whit her mother daytime.She lifted her first hare at just under nine mnths.But they were too dogs on it she had help for her mother :angel::angel:

Edited by Catcher
Guest Catcher
DAY , alot of hares can get very confused in the lamp, they are hard to catch day or night, but they are alot harder in the day ;) ive seen dogs that have been bred for daytime stuff, and they struggle in the day as well. :(

Hi bird When you say dogs that are bred for daytime.I think it depends on the ground you are working The ground i mostly worked was small fields whit a lot of tree lines and small woods.I found a smaller dog did better in this type of ground.A big dog on this ground is just a walking vet bill.They seem to do better in big flat open fields were the hare cant turn as sharp.

Yes some dogs do struggle day or night.It,s not always down to the dog.A untrained or unfit dog shoud never be out running.and shame on the owner.Thanks for your input :clapper::clapper::clapper: