Friday morning

foxshooting003kk5.jpg

Approached the ground from one of the top fields and as soon as i got into the lower field i spotted this fox right down the bottem and just sat staring into the hedge at something .As per the farmers wishes i tried a squeak as he really was a small target at that range but he was having none of it .I was lead down prone by now and steadied the rifle on the pod for a shot .I knew this would be a long shot but ........i squeezed off a round and saw charlie roll over .He looked a beauty against the frosty ground as i walked down to him .Ranged back and found it was 202 metres ,well pleased .The pic shows the gateway though which i came and from where the shot was taken .Stalked on and saw a large group of roe,9 in all, in the corner of a field .I was in full view having expected them elsewhere so i had to stand and watch for what seemed like ages but never time wasted watching deer .A mature buck was surrounded by various age does [Paradise if you ask me ]and it was he that was most concerned by my outline ,stamping and running forward short distance all the while staring at me .The does hoever were reluctant to leave the field and the reason became clear when i heard voices up on the railway track ,workers on the line walking through checking for hazards i think .When they had gone a good a good distance the does moved off in single file through a gap ,all except one that ran along the hedge away from them then out in the field abit .Unexplainable behaviour but she payed the price for it .I had ranged the group at 194 but she was on a bit further .Another long shot but no worries .Shot her through the chest and ranged her at a respectable 227 metres.She made a bit of ground after the shot but fell dead by the hedge .

If you look carefully you will see the white rump of the doe in the hedge line where she fell .

foxshooting004tb4.jpg

Dragged her to the gap to show where the rest disappeared through .

Spent the afternoon down with Martin and another god result which he has documented already .

foxshooting005io3.jpg

Edited by foxdropper

foxshooting003kk5.jpg

Approached the ground from one of the top fields and as soon as i got into the lower field i spotted this fox right down the bottem and just sat staring into the hedge at something .As per the farmers wishes i tried a squeak as he really was a small target at that range but he was having none of it .I was lead down prone by now and steadied the rifle on the pod for a shot .I knew this would be a long shot but ........i squeezed off a round and saw charlie roll over .He looked a beauty against the frosty ground as i walked down to him .Ranged back and found it was 202 metres ,well pleased .Stalked on and saw a large group of roe,9 in all, in the corner of a field .I was in full view having expected them elsewhere so i had to stand and watch for what seemed like ages but never time wasted watching deer .A mature buck was surrounded by various age does [Paradise if you ask me ]and it was he that was most concerned by my outline ,stamping and running forward short distance all the while staring at me .The does hoever were reluctant to leave the field and the reason became clear when i heard voices up on the railway track ,workers on the line walking through checking for hazards i think .When they had gone a good a good distance the does moved off in single file through a gap ,all except one that ran along the hedge away from them then out in the field abit .Unexplainable behaviour but she payed the price for it .I had ranged the group at 194 but she was on a bit further .Another long shot but no worries .Shot her through the chest and ranged her at a respectable 227 metres.

foxshooting004tb4.jpg

Dragged her to the gap to show where the rest disappeared through .

foxshooting005io3.jpg

nise pic mate
now that is what you call a beautiful fox :yes: what time in the morning was he shot at? i have only ever shot 1 fox in daylight.

We have a healthy population around here mate[until i see them :D ] and they can be seen out at any time of day .That one was at about 9.30 am .