Right first of all your opinions will be well appreiciated no matter what.

Right, i've been involved with a shoot for about 4 years and had no problems with beater or guns. but this past year i have been helping the keeper out a fair bit (every weekend in summer working/ feeding, paying for the birds, and cover crops) all i asked in return was 3 days shooting and one or two guests. considering none of the people help the keeper out in anyway or sort.

on one of my days i relised a distinct hostility against me from the beaters, and know the day i was meant to have my guests on, all bar two beaters have refused to beat for us, this i cant understand as they will get their tip and i have never intentionally annoyed them or upset them.

is this bad form on my part or what? much need to rest my head on this issue as the keeper is in the middle of the flack and hes nicest bloke and goin through a rough time atm.

im really sorry to hear that you are being treated like this after effort you have put in!!!!!!!

i used to do a fair bit of beating on different estates but stopped due to absolute snobbery and ill treatment.

you turn up ...often on request from the keeper coz they struggling to get folks.....

and when your there your treated like shite from "the locals" and blanked totally by the picking up team coz

1- your a beater

2- your an unkonwn beater

therefore your scum

i love fieldsports but unfortunately the snobbery in these instances are just bollocks!!

I DONT THINK YOU ASKING TOO MUCH,

work mate did all the work on their duck ponds (7 of em) and when he changed jobs and told rest o syndicate you have to help feeding etc the quality turned to rat shit coz no-one wanted to get of their arse....just wanted the shooting with no thanks or effort .

sauer

i poposly try to include everyone ( i first started beatin when i was about 4 so i was the low of the as you say). the thing about this situation is that its the beaters treating me like shite the guns are generally ok, i should think i spent well in excess of my days worth in birds and everything and man hours. i dont know how i get them on my side.

Im off i've got A-Level maths exam tomorrow first thinf (fun times)

i poposly try to include everyone ( i first started beatin when i was about 4 so i was the low of the as you say). the thing about this situation is that its the beaters treating me like shite the guns are generally ok, i should think i spent well in excess of my days worth in birds and everything and man hours. i dont know how i get them on my side.

Im off i've got A-Level maths exam tomorrow first thinf (fun times)

Good luck with the exam :victory:

If were closer id bring my hubby and his mates and we would beat for you. I love it and my dog loves it too!

Sounds like you need to tackle one (or more) of the beaters who refused to turn up for your day - try and pick one who will tell you how it is, not a shrinking violet! Once you know what the problem is, you can figure out a solution.

Perhaps there is some jealousy there, but i'm not sure how your shoot works, so it's difficult to judge.

I beat every shoot day, and at the end of the season we have beaters day where the guns are meant to beat - we are lucky if ANY bother to turn up, which is a shame. It's always the volunteers and people who don't want anything but a day in the country and to be a part of it that make it work.

that is disgusting to hear! if i was the keeper i would send the beaters packing and find others to replace them and put the word about to other shoots about these beaters! sounds like jealousy and nothing else. Im sure you put your fair share of work into the shoot and that sould be highlighted to the beaters! cheers, mo

Cheers guys and gals. i'll see if i can have a chat with them.

By the way....Maths is really really really really hard, never mind i'll retake it in a few months.

Thanks again.

Iknow it's a hard thing to do but if you can have all beaters together say lunch time or when they get their pay just speak up and ask the buggers if they have a problem with you and if so get it sorted like big boys not the infants they seam to be i bet its one jelouse sod stiring it up.! plus the keeper should be backing you up if not then go find a proper shoot to help out with.and stuff the lot of them they don't know that its youngins who will keep field sports going.PS been thier got the T shirt moved on don't want the hassel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the situation.

i've been beating on a near by shoot in the time i havent been helping out on this mentioned shoot. one of the fellas came upto me and asked "where were you last saturday...i expected you to be shooting" at first i was quite perplexed but soon realised the situation. The so called "keeper" has been holding shoots for all his mates (the ones i thought were to blame) and shooting what i class to be MY birds on days that i am still owed (cant see me getting these days back). To make this worse i saw him with these mates in the cafe before all came apparent.

Quite frankly im really quite pissed off and i know the others who have helped out are as well. Nor will we be helping out anymore with anything to do with the shoot which will tbh crumble in our absece.

i think we'll be looking for another shoot wanting help in return for days or ferreting/rifle permission.