Lamp 100 Rabbits

93.5 rabbits each dog ( Total 187 ) I think somebodys been pulling your plonker mate or you been smoking some funny fags .I'v done some lamping in my time and iv had some good dogs and iv been out with lads who i think have had some fantastic dogs and we have ran the dogs to a stand still and we never got close to 100 rabbits per dog the only that you will pull a 100 rabbit in one night is if 75% of them are blind .....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

93.5 rabbits each dog ( Total 187 ) I think somebodys been pulling your plonker mate or you been smoking some funny fags .I'v done some lamping in my time and iv had some good dogs and iv been out with lads who i think have had some fantastic dogs and we have ran the dogs to a stand still and we never got close to 100 rabbits per dog the only that you will pull a 100 rabbit in one night is if 75% of them are blind .....

never said the dogs matched each other rabbit for rabbit, and one took over the 100 mark, the lads and dogs could of carried on but literally ran out of rabbits, neiter of the lads are still into lurchers, one is putting his experience into training gundogs and the other is breeding and training open class greyhounds dogs good enough for Charlie Lister to take on, dogs worthy of Derby entry and went 3rounds and won the consolation final

Most of the people who mock or doubt it, are either too young or not as good as they think they are, by too young I mean cannot remember when certain areas were so heavily populated that some dogs were regularly picking up 50-60 a night, by not being as good as they think they are I mean they or their dogs are not used to picking up this figure of rabbits.

The lurcher I refered to in the question, was never run to a standstill, it ran 7-8 miles a day beside the bike and lamped 40-50-60 as a routine 3-4 nights a week.

Leeview knows this him and I are not into bullshit, it is genuine from genuine lurchermen.

As you say wild rover they were both young and dedicated at the time 15-16yrs back the elder of the pair is 42 next week.

and the other comment about early on in the season being easier :laugh: it was done just before Xmas when the nights are longer and more chance of conditions suiting them

Y.I.S Leeview

witnessed 160 + taken on lamp at uist western isle of scotland couple of good collie crosses .

was knackerd that nite but worth it the hole we dug on the beach to put the guts in was some hole :blink:

any half decent dog will kill that many on uist used take big bags with air rife oot my room window in dark island hotel :whistling::whistling: when was a chef up there place cralwing with bunnies

i cant see the piont about this 100 rabbs as there areas long the scottish borders were you can do it , had 48 in a few hours most clapped dog caught them and move on , it was the type of place 4 0r 5 hundred a week could be taken but well no price in them at times , took severall out we used to drive feild to feild park up clean a feild then move on maybe drove 12 miles a nite and not hit a road thye have feild trails on the land now for spaneils ,the farm was neglected and was alive , if any use ever fished tweed dale fisheries mid ninties it was alive took 68 bolting with dogs a hundred could have been done, but we used 2.2 some nites and dogs as there were that many ,to me you have to have a good outlet to kill big numbers end off ,its funny if youve caught agreat number of game you never bother about largfe numbers much unless there an outlet , had afew welsh freinds up from aberdare thye went through 3 to 5 hundred bullets in a 6 hour session and they were great shots but no price just pest control for farmers and dog food ,not my seen as well a rabbits a rabbit ,done the numbers thing with rabbs if they price was 1 50 to 2 pound then well there would be more intrest to do the big numbers again , get more fun seeing dogs work a bit harder for there sport nowadays

i cant see the piont about this 100 rabbs as there areas long the scottish borders were you can do it , had 48 in a few hours most clapped dog caught them and move on , it was the type of place 4 0r 5 hundred a week could be taken but well no price in them at times , took severall out we used to drive feild to feild park up clean a feild then move on maybe drove 12 miles a nite and not hit a road thye have feild trails on the land now for spaneils ,the farm was neglected and was alive , if any use ever fished tweed dale fisheries mid ninties it was alive took 68 bolting with dogs a hundred could have been done, but we used 2.2 some nites and dogs as there were that many ,to me you have to have a good outlet to kill big numbers end off ,its funny if youve caught agreat number of game you never bother about largfe numbers much unless there an outlet , had afew welsh freinds up from aberdare thye went through 3 to 5 hundred bullets in a 6 hour session and they were great shots but no price just pest control for farmers and dog food ,not my seen as well a rabbits a rabbit ,done the numbers thing with rabbs if they price was 1 50 to 2 pound then well there would be more intrest to do the big numbers again , get more fun seeing dogs work a bit harder for there sport nowadays

So do I, this was done years ago, when like you said plenty about, to test the dogs stamina and for pest control, rabbits were selling for £1, we sold hundreds a year, mainly to hound trail men for food. Now as I try but sometimes fail to grow old gracefully, its about enjoying the dogs and mates having a day out, I haven't lamped for 2 years.

55 TO ONE DOG . REGULARLY GET 60 BETWEEN TWO DOGS DEPENDING ON THE CONDITIONS ONCE HAD 104 WITH THREE DOGS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO .

81 ON THE LAST TRIP OUT BUT THAT WAS IN GALE FORCE WINDS AND IDEAL CONDITIONS ,PERSONALY I LIKE TO TEST MY DOG BUT TAKING LARGER BAGS THAN WE DO WOULD BE ASKING A BIT MUCH DOING 40 OR FIFTY EACH TIME YOU GO OUT EVEN AFTER THE RABBITS BECOME LAMP SHY TAKES SOME DOING :blink:

heres the 81 colin

PC170090.jpg

wild rover if your brought up with large areas of game ie hares deer or rabbits killing a big number with well schooled dogs isnt rocket sceince , a bit of know how and being street wise maybe if youre brought up on the land you learn as youngster , no being honest ive had as much fun catching five than fifty in some areas caute tthe five were bonuses and the fifty was pestcontrol ,scottish border was and is in some places full of game well keeperd and the 100 could be done but you need good buyers same with any game unless its for fun or sport , its all about why you want to do it , the only time i count what i catch is if people come out and well thtas what they want to do , if you live were it is no big deal , i would get abigger buzz going down beach picking afew salmos out of net or a doizen or two lobsters as i know my tiol would be worth it , i love bolting rabbs but never think how many will i get ,just good sport and table meat or dog meatferret food , people phone mw and mates can you get rid of rabbits i say well ye can we lamp etc as there added bonuses at times, i no some people have to ttravel for sport but ive always made sure i stay or go were the sport is at times cheers