breaking to stock!!!!

after the dog had a shocking experience a couple of weeks ago :icon_eek::icon_eek: i thought the dog was cured of chasing them! while out this morning she showed me she wasnt! after getting out the car and walking past some horses which she never showed an interest in i let her off the lead, she saw some sheep and again she showed no interest, thinking she was going to be ok i walked round them and she walked off more interested in emptying her bowels than bothering sheep, further on after chasing a couple of rabbits she rounded a bush and came across a ewe grazing, she started to set herself and after i shouted NO a couple of times she decided to give chase, i shouted again and again and again and still she gave chase :wallbash: after chasing it over the fell and out of sight i gave chase myself to catch her getting half way there she came back to me looking pleased with herself, after i put her on the lead and a few choice words :censored: we headed back to the car checking on the ewe on the way, thankfully she was ok! i think its back to square one with her and start again!!! she,s only 6 month old so there,s time yet to correct her! hope she takes it on board this time :angry:

longline, when she starts to pay an interest shout no and give her a tug, always shout no before giving her a tug on the line. If she still pays intrest keep doing it until she stops, after this call her to you and when she returns reward her with praise and maybe throw her a ball or give her a treat

good luck :victory:

yes mate youve got to be abit carefull ill tell you what i do i always start pups by tacking them to the local livestock market a few times the pup can then be in close contact with stock but under control on leed so no chance of accidents it works for me

longline, when she starts to pay an interest shout no and give her a tug, always shout no before giving her a tug on the line. If she still pays intrest keep doing it until she stops, after this call her to you and when she returns reward her with praise and maybe throw her a ball or give her a treat

good luck :victory:

[/quote thanks! a friend has just mentioned this to me, i think i,ll have to spend alot more time with her over xmas

Guest anonymous

The only way anything gets used to anything is being around it often. Familiarity makes all the difference. I think sometimes the bigger fuss you make of something, the more it becomes desireable, know what I mean? If you were told you weren't allowed to look at something, you'd try even harder to see it, right? I've seen lurchers who are afraid to look at sheep, they still do but they give it a quick fly glance pretending they aren't looking. Now, they only do this in your presence, once released on a hare, they might travel several miles(fens especially). Chances are they will encounter sheep at some point(unless on the fens) and if they have a grudge towards said animal, who knows what goes through their head. My advice is to get her round sheep as often as you can out a walk under control. She'll soon get bored of them.

The only way anything gets used to anything is being around it often. Familiarity makes all the difference. I think sometimes the bigger fuss you make of something, the more it becomes desireable, know what I mean? If you were told you weren't allowed to look at something, you'd try even harder to see it, right? I've seen lurchers who are afraid to look at sheep, they still do but they give it a quick fly glance pretending they aren't looking. Now, they only do this in your presence, once released on a hare, they might travel several miles(fens especially). Chances are they will encounter sheep at some point(unless on the fens) and if they have a grudge towards said animal, who knows what goes through their head. My advice is to get her round sheep as often as you can out a walk under control. She'll soon get bored of them.

advice taken mate :thumbs:

Spot on, i still walk mine by them every day, and he is 14months old. You can never really

trust them a 100%, some can be great with sheep, but get excited by lambs.? it must be size and

movment thing . I train them the same way with both, and get same result's, which is fine. But as

above keep taking them what ever the age :victory: