I've been thinking about this a while. And I'm slowly getting very tired, and slowly getting nowhere :yes:

I think the last time I bought a Shotgun that I knew I was going to keep was about two years ago, I've bought a lot in between, but they were either going to be sold on, or they we're inherited or given. I've also bought a few to "try" but was not struck on.

Now I want a gun that I'm going to keep and that I can happily take through 4ft bramble as I could on a Driven day.

It's going to be an Over & Under, thats my favoured style and it's going to be 12 bore as I've not long sold my 20 which I didn't use.

It has to have 3" chambers and as with any new 3" gun, be Steel Shot proof.

Am I getting too specific..... :D Oh, and I have Beretta or Browning in my head. :laugh:

Any suggestions, thoughts, reviews, recommendations or anything else for that matter. (Except what to have for Lunch, have that sorted :D )

Thanks.

SS :thumbs:

Well you know my thoughts on the subject, but i'll repeat them for your immediate benefit. :icon_eek:

Beretta Silver pigeon 28" M/C Field. IMHO the most versatile gun. :yes:

You know where to find photographic justification if you need it..... :D

There...that was easy...job done

beretta silver pigeon, or browning 525........

Get a look at the two, hands on, my friend is a big beretta fan and recently i took him to a dealer with both in stock,

he shouldered both, And gobsmacked me when he bought he browning, He said the gun simply fitted him like a glove, he liked the weight, style, swing, of both but said the browning had the edge............All he shoots is shotguns, And there all beretta's so i was really surprised,

hope this helps :o

Miruku are a good weapon I use a little 26" barrel 3800 for everything from game including high birds to pigeon and rabbits, its never failed me. But Beretta silver pigeon or Browning 525 will do exactly the same. My advice would be to go to have a look in the gun shop and see what feels the best in your hands.

I've shot both the Silver Pigeon and the 525 many times.

Most recent? I think it was the Silver Pigeon III in 30".

My 20 was a S.P III, it fitted me very, very well.

My Miroku Trap gun is, as some will know, made by Browning. And they feel exactly the same. Paying for a name :yes:

Smudge, I have a 26" Miroku 800 HSW Skeet gun, I do love shooting with it, but its not going to be happy on the marsh as it's 2 3/4" and getting on now, needs looking after :D

I will take a trip soon up to Mid Wales, they would normally have both in stock, if not they will by the time I get there, shoot a few hundred clays with each of them.

Thanks so far, any other ideas?

What sort of price are you looking at paying ?

Ive heard on the grapevine that purdys are a half decent gun ;)

Ive got an old beretta o/u and Its a nice gun even though its over 40 years old.

If I wanted a rough gun though that was going to take some stick and be dragged through brambles etc, I wouldnt want to be paying too much for it......

Aye, good idea Dixy, the new Purdey Sporter, :yes: :yes: :yes:

But they say, never buy a Purdey, or people will think you can shoot :cry:

A 40 year old Beretta O/U, keep a hold of that Dixy ;)

I'm hoping the Brambles wont be tooooo often, but I don't mind it getting well used, what its for at the end of the day.

Budget? Now then, difficult one. About £12-1300? Seems pretty reasonable for a lifetime of gun. I'll do some dealing before I buy a gun for that though :D :D

didnt think id ever see you asking for advice :D, my first shotgun in 12 bore is going to be a lanber 2097 sporting. ive had my eye et on it for abotu a year now. and in 2 years i dont care how out dated thay may be. ill own one :p

didnt think id ever see you asking for advice :D, my first shotgun in 12 bore is going to be a lanber 2097 sporting. ive had my eye et on it for abotu a year now. and in 2 years i dont care how out dated thay may be. ill own one :p

It's what forums are for :yes:

I wanted to know which was the most popular (I sort of knew already) and what people thought of each one ;)

Lanber Field (or sporting deluxe with auto safe conversion as it comes in 30" barrels)

Lanber make other models, look at their website, that you might be able to get if you speak to GMK.

5 year warranty

Berretta SP (If you wait until it is advertised you may get a 10 year warranty)

Browning 525 Nordic Hunter , I love the look of this Gun and I covet it a great deal.

Good engraving

Not sure on warranty

I saw a new one this week for £1070!!!! bargain

Also dont forget the McNabs, these are very good guns as well

Lanber Field (or sporting deluxe with auto safe conversion as it comes in 30" barrels)

Lanber make other models, look at their website, that you might be able to get if you speak to GMK.

5 year warranty

Berretta SP (If you wait until it is advertised you may get a 10 year warranty)

Browning 525 Nordic Hunter , I love the look of this Gun and I covet it a great deal.

Good engraving

Not sure on warranty

I saw a new one this week for £1070!!!! bargain

Also dont forget the McNabs, these are very good guns as well

One of my colleagues, is just getting rid of his McNab for reliability issues, He is trading it against a silver Pigeon,after looking at the build quality on mine.. I'm sure there are good and bad in all brands though.. :thumbs: