Irish Wolfhound lurchers

Guest Countryboyo

I used to regularly go out with a first cross Wolfhound greyhound he was ok but nothing special,no good on the turn.He was mated to a first cross collie greyhound and my mate had one of the pups,he was a good lamping dog especially on the bigger game.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Countryboyo
I used to regularly go out with a first cross Wolfhound greyhound he was ok but nothing special,no good on the turn.He was mated to a first cross collie greyhound and my mate had one of the pups,he was a good lamping dog especially on the bigger game.

Nice one its good to see that the instincts of an original Irish hunter are being put to good use,

• 2 weeks later...

Hija,

a friend of ours had Wolfhound x Whippet /Greyhound ( on there abouts ) lurchers, great on most quarry, take some time to pick up speed but then don't stop....

Have Wolfhounds myself and there is nothing wrong with their killing instincts but for them to catch something, they have to chase it down first. They have a lot of stamina but lack in intial speed. So you need a lot of space to run them on anything. Lads we know in the States use Wolfhound crosses for Coyotehunting. Can't find the pictures of the dogs right now but will post them when I manage to find them.

Keep hunting!!!

surely a wolf hound crossed with a grey would just end up much like a deer hound?

the recreated wolf hound is just a shaggy large dog nothing like the ones that used to do the job.i think they are deerhound mastiff x's with a bit of great dane for size(and unhealthyness)

scotty

Guest Countryboyo
surely a wolf hound crossed with a grey would just end up much like a deer hound?

the recreated wolf hound is just a shaggy large dog nothing like the ones that used to do the job.i think they are deerhound mastiff x's with a bit of great dane for size(and unhealthyness)

scotty

NOT TRUE

The bitch i have at home(misses pet)has in the past caught a rabbit fair and square but a one off,she is to owner orientated to run off on a long course,she'd have to stop and check where the misses was.The stride of our bitch is immense and can get a move on but would never bang her on a hare(so to speak ;) ) as wouldn't want any injuries from a no hope course,if she ever had the meeting of a deer i'd see if she would track it :whistling: but don't think much would come of it.She's just started to come into season today,first show and i will be locking up my lurcher dog.

havent seen one in 30 years a lad used come out with us had a half x wolf /grey tippsy it was called and what a beast took all quarry 32in to shoulder even took shot ducks off ponds was a good dog to watch on charlies sometimes live to hand and young lad used shit himself when it did it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Your modern Wolfhound would not have the pace to catch a fit and healthy wolf. They have changed so much in the show ring as have so many breeds. Just look at the modern bulldog to see how far a breed can move in a few hundred years...Would not stand a chance doing what it's ancesters were bred for, just like the Wolfhound.imo...

Beautiful animals though, look fantastic in front of a roaring log fire...

yep allgame is right a lot of staghounds have wolfhound blood so do a lot of pig dogs the wolfhound brings a lot to the table Ie size strenght nose staminer. Very hand trats when hunting our large game that can cover incredible distances in a short time. many stags over here are only used for fox perticularly in the southern states. in the north they are also used on dingos.

stevemac

scotty

NOT TRUE

If you did a bit of research mate, you would find it to be very true.

scotty

NOT TRUE

really!! what is the truth then? the only bonus i can see with crossing a wolfy would be to produce a healthy wolfy looking dog!! one that would live longer with out having to be on pain killers.

so then where did they come from? the big giant dude in Ireland?

scotty

I have heard alright that these dogs have brains to burn. I doubt a first cross wolfhound would be up to much but maybe a guarter would workout good???

thats a fine old part of the country your in, Ballybunion beach a beautiful place, Not a good idea, wolfhound, x to big clumsy, and the health problems,your wolf hound, has a lot of health problems, Thanks to those so called K.c. breeders, you will find plenty of deerhound x that can do your job

for you, good luck to ye,

Guest Countryboyo

scotty

NOT TRUE

really!! what is the truth then? the only bonus i can see with crossing a wolfy would be to produce a healthy wolfy looking dog!! one that would live longer with out having to be on pain killers.

scotty

Not true , One of the oldest breeds there is.

scotty

NOT TRUE

scotty

Not true , One of the oldest breeds there is.

:clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: :clapper: well thats that sorted then!! shows a lot about you my friend.

older than salukis and greys?

scotty