Just wondering if anyone uses this honey on wounds to help the healing process on themselves or there dogs? My dad recently had a heart opp, and the wound wasn't healing. Anyway when he was on dialysis, one of the nurses told him to try putting manuka honey on it. I took the p!55 calling him a hippy, witch doctor, but it seemed to work pretty quick,!

Don't take the piss - it works! Tried it on a horse who had a terrible involvement with a cattle grid. The wounds were horrific. We used manuka honey and it made alot of difference. I thoroughly recommend it. Use it topically on a dressing and change it daily.

Manuka Honey Dressing on YouTube

Edited by Pignut

I use "raw" unheated honey on bigger surface wounds (of dogs) and it works well, heals quicker and with less scar. Clean unheated honey is excellent wound dressing. It will become more popular in wound treatment.

It is a primitive antibiotic cause it generates (by enzymes) enough hydrogenperoxide to kill bacteria and flesh grows really good at low ph and high sugar. The high sugar content also extracts fluid from the wound.

The Manuka people have a honey that also contains a plant derived antibiotic next to what the bees put in. It works but I am not sure if it is much stronger in effects as a fresh clean unheated (cold storage prefered) local spring honey.

L

Edited by Lennard

What sets this type of honey appart from any type available in the uk?

What plant do the bees forrage in order to obtain and produce a honey of medicinal quality.

Is there a honey produced in the uk that can offer similar treatment properties, other than propolis?

Just curious.