which gundog

which spaniel or pointer would you advise for the first time novice owner ??

thanks

It depends whether you want it as a family pet aswell and do you want it to just retrieve or to be a good pointer to. If you want a good retriever/pointer/house pet i would go for a hungarian vizsla, thats what i have and they are great friendly house pets and also amazing pointers and retrievers.Heres one below

post-23565-1228155708.jpg

Greg :gunsmilie:

Edited by kobidog

Its more about what you do with the young pup that matters mate...at 8 weeks mine was on the whistle...a few pips and she was [bANNED TEXT] back for a bit of ham//chicken..I would take her for short walks round the field and let her hunt up and then recall etc...Buy a small air kong dummy and get her retreiving ...then when you start more formal training half the battle will be over. To many people say I take my walks for long walks is that enough??? I would rather them go for a training session for the same amount of time..the dog will of had more exercise physically and mentall and wont of picked up any bad habits..

489762806_bd1dc53ff0.jpg

This is dad

Regards

Kev

Edited by withnellmoor

out of those mentioned so far I would go for the cocker, I have a vizsla and have it as a pot licker ! bought as a deer dog she's too vocal, when left alone in the landie she howsl the place down, that then has continued when travelling in the back of the navara even if other dogs are there or not, if I take her out picking up she has to be with me the whole day if left she howsl, I am not saying thats the case with them all just my personal experience and it has put me off ever having another one.

As for the cockers, I have 3 at the moment and they are cracking wee dogs, very fun

Nic

which spaniel or pointer would you advise for the first time novice owner ??

thanks

IMO I do think that any of the HPR (Hunt, Point, Retrieve) breeds are a little too involved for the first time or novice trainer. These breeds can be very head strong and stubborn. This combined with a strong hunting drive could be a recipe for disaster in novice hands. They also tend to be quite sensitive, and do not respond well to harsh handling! They will push even the more experienced handlers to their limit sometimes, and this can be disheartening. You are also limited to the number of trainers experienced with these breeds, should you need guidance at any point. Having said that, if you are lucky enough to have a HPR trainer near to you, it is possible for the novice handler to succeed, I have seen it happen with one of our pups, but it takes time and a lot of hard work. Also, these dogs don’t mature until they are about two to three years old, and to a novice this can be a long time coming. For this reason I agree that possibly a cocker would be your best bet, for now anyway.

Good Luck!

out of those mentioned so far I would go for the cocker, I have a vizsla and have it as a pot licker ! bought as a deer dog she's too vocal, when left alone in the landie she howsl the place down, that then has continued when travelling in the back of the navara even if other dogs are there or not, if I take her out picking up she has to be with me the whole day if left she howsl, I am not saying thats the case with them all just my personal experience and it has put me off ever having another one.

As for the cockers, I have 3 at the moment and they are cracking wee dogs, very fun

Nic

I think Nic you were very unlucky with your Viz. As you say, not all Vizslas are like that. The lines that Gary has are very much working type and are a pleasure to watch working, if not sometimes a little worrying when we are getting close to the end of a drive. The power these Vizslas have is something to see!

Nic

I think Nic you were very unlucky with your Viz. As you say, not all Vizslas are like that. The lines that Gary has are very much working type and are a pleasure to watch working, if not sometimes a little worrying when we are getting close to the end of a drive. The power these Vizslas have is something to see!

he he he i keep telling you lisa dont worry i know where they are lol....never a flushing point spoilt lol.....you were unlucky nic what i have is quiet non vocal and works to the death......i like the way i can get inside theyre heads and wind em up or slow them down...the vizsla is the easyest of hpr's to train.... altho the lines i have arent for the faint hearted lol.... they do work and cover ground!!!