Hardest hares....

Guest anonymous

Guest anonymous

Seen a few posts on here sucking up to the fen guys as if the fens was the be all end all of Lurcherdom.... Which is your fav fen man and dog springs to mind! :friends: I'll be honest here, I've seen the videos and get this... it don't do it for me. Yes it has wide open space and it's a wildlife camera mans dream because of this but it is so anti hare giving an unfair advantage towards the dog.

The nearest cover for the dog is MILES away! :icon_eek: The Hare gets up, the dog looks at it :snack: as it ambles away knowing fine well a 100 yards is F all and so does the hare. If ANY dog can't get onto a hare with a hundred yard start in the fens then I'd be amazed and I don't just mean lurchers. I'd like to see a full bred Alsation on one just to see what happens. So what I am basically saying is that the one only real quality a good fen dog needs is Stamina! Hence all the Saluki crosses that have sprung up over the last decade.

Now, I reckon places like Perth are far harder and are more demanding on a dog. You need a canny dog with good wits about it to catch a hare here. It needs to be fast off the mark and also have good stamina. A decent size field might only be 50 acres and get this, there are fences :tongue4: to negotiate. Do fen hares actually know what a gate is? :duh:

What you reckon?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

welsh mountain hares are the hardest .not scottish, not english, welsh ,they breath fire when you piss em off,and they have wings

the fens is not about just catching hares mate qaulity of sport seeing the race etc i live in areas were the hares are no slouch but alot of races you dont see it all , same as roe you get places were the deer no what a dog is and he has only a few hundred yds to go to wood they can go like the wind some times , no fences to stop them as there no stock so they hit a wood like if they have nite sites , the fens is not about the best dog in perth its the best dog in the fens , lurcher well clever guys breed dogs which last and suit the locality were they hunt the dog in perth maybe not last twice a week on the fen or matching weekly in winter , ythere more to it than meets the eye if your down weekly as my freind done for yrs

Seen a few posts on here sucking up to the fen guys as if the fens was the be all end all of Lurcherdom.... Which is your fav fen man and dog springs to mind! :friends: I'll be honest here, I've seen the videos and get this... it don't do it for me. Yes it has wide open space and it's a wildlife camera mans dream because of this but it is so anti hare giving an unfair advantage towards the dog.

The nearest cover for the dog is MILES away! :icon_eek: The Hare gets up, the dog looks at it :snack: as it ambles away knowing fine well a 100 yards is F all and so does the hare. If ANY dog can't get onto a hare with a hundred yard start in the fens then I'd be amazed and I don't just mean lurchers. I'd like to see a full bred Alsation on one just to see what happens. So what I am basically saying is that the one only real quality a good fen dog needs is Stamina! Hence all the Saluki crosses that have sprung up over the last decade.

Now, I reckon places like Perth are far harder and are more demanding on a dog. You need a canny dog with good wits about it to catch a hare here. It needs to be fast off the mark and also have good stamina. A decent size field might only be 50 acres and get this, there are fences :tongue4: to negotiate. Do fen hares actually know what a gate is? :duh:

What you reckon?

good post ;) you seen the video's. :clapper: says it all realy. why not try it befor you comment ;)

Guest anonymous
the fens is not about just catching hares mate qaulity of sport seeing the race etc i live in areas were the hares are no slouch but alot of races you dont see it all , same as roe you get places were the deer no what a dog is and he has only a few hundred yds to go to wood they can go like the wind some times , no fences to stop them as there no stock so they hit a wood like if they have nite sites , the fens is not about the best dog in perth its the best dog in the fens , lurcher well clever guys breed dogs which last and suit the locality were they hunt the dog in perth maybe not last twice a week on the fen or matching weekly in winter , ythere more to it than meets the eye if your down weekly as my freind done for yrs

I appreciate that it's horses for courses but anyone new to Lurchers would be forgiving for thinking the fen dogs are world beaters which they aren't. Tell me mate, am I right in what I say regarding stamina is the only really quality you need on the fens?

Guest anonymous

What you reckon?

good post ;) you seen the video's. :clapper: says it all realy. why not try it befor you comment ;)

Don't need to try it, doesn't look the type of ground I'd enjoy. You see mate, a days coursing for me isn't just about numbers. I enjoy walking around the countryside, taking in the view, hunting out a hare. Wait a minute, did I say hunting? I did, do you think catching the hares on the fens is hunting? Me thinks not......... :hunter:

Guest anonymous
=@ ....but for what it's worth i totally agree ;) ..many think a Fen hare is the be all and end all..seen quite a few Fen dogs have a run up here and they are knacked if a hare makes a fence or gate as they don't know how to jump :blink: and you have no chance of letting many of them run if there's sheep in the field :haha: ..NOT ALL but many :signthankspin: ,my friend sold a bitch called Judy a couple of year back for £5000,good bitch on the Fens couldn't catch a cold up here..horses for courses chaps,plus if it missed it buggered off for two hours :angry: ..i wouldn't of gave him a fiver for it but there you go lol!

There speaks a man worth listening to................ :notworthy:

Guest anonymous
Wait a minute, did I say hunting? I did, do you think catching the hares on the fens is hunting? Me thinks not......... :hunter:

I was led to believe the Fens is full of blind men and dogs :whistling: ..dog on slip,walk straight ahead and when dog pulls just let go :clapper: ..not sure if it's hearsay mind? Or is that proper hunting? :tongue2:

LOL [bANNED TEXT]. They should ditch the dogs and use ATV's... be cheaper to run and you get a better view of the chase :yahoo:

people bred dogs for the land they hunt, i think if it was not for the fen lurchers saluks etc half of this country wouldnt have see a saluk lurcher , i like the determanaition of some of the fen type and diluted down with other genuine bred lurchers they make good allround working lurchers as you have to have good feet tp run for 2 to 4 minutes 3 or 4 times weekly, have wind determanation to run soft plough or whatever , speeds easy to breed in but guile at boxing hares keeping them of fences keeping sound footed takes years of triid and tested dogs,most decent hare dogs etc come of off dogs who have one fenland comps just diluted to suit the land

prob a bit piontless but ye people do believe maybe the fen dogs are the best ,maybe the best what they do bit not the best hare dogs all over but youll get some thata re dual purpose but if you buy a fen bred dog you dont run it on small feilds abd tite areas you get a dog to suit the locality or breed you fen dog to gain feet and wind to dogs which need better wind strong feet etc

Guest mickyrich
WHAT A POINTLESS TOPIC EVERYONE NO'S DIFFERENT DOGS FOR DIFFERENT JOBS AND DIFFERENT PLACES

Ahem.... Aye cheers for your input Micky, err well put........ :stupid:

You only put it on to get the backs up of the lads who run there dogs on the fen you numpty