Bad retrieve lately

L.S.,

My dog is a pleasure to own and work but lately he did not retrieve 2 catches. One of them I found but the other one was eaten by crows when I went up the next morning. It is also bugging cause the work is done over water a lot of times and I don't want to jump in myself.

He has a very good routine, comes back automatically when he got or lost what he was after so I can't really say anything or reward him more or less than normal. He has very little will to please and can't be rewarded with food.

Tennisball or something to practice retrieving is useless too. He does that playful 1 time and then looses interest.

What would you do?

L.

Edited by Lennard

Long line and reward. That makes a point. I will starve him a little bit and take some chicken and give it a go. I have to, I need retrieves over water and don't want to waste game.

It is going to be interesting, I feel I have a chance but I am also curious how far the dog and me are going to push eachothers patience.

I'll get a rabbit from the fridge and make it as fun as possible. To be continued.

Edited by Lennard

my dog will happily retrieve a dead rabbit to me in the garden at 80 ft time after time. In the field he will catch and come in to at best say 10 yards, but just wont make the last bit to hand. Eventually he drops the rabbit and comes in. He has never gone walkabouts with the kill, and comes in when he has missed to a click of the fingers or a short whistle. He is 2 years now and from my perspective I think it wil either "click" into place or perhaps this is the best I'm gona get. . . . . what dya reckon?

I hunt on my own or with my son, very rarely with another dog, and if we do the other dog retrives impecabbly.

my dog will happily retrieve a dead rabbit to me in the garden at 80 ft time after time. In the field he will catch and come in to at best say 10 yards, but just wont make the last bit to hand. Eventually he drops the rabbit and comes in. He has never gone walkabouts with the kill, and comes in when he has missed to a click of the fingers or a short whistle. He is 2 years now and from my perspective I think it wil either "click" into place or perhaps this is the best I'm gona get. . . . . what dya reckon?

I hunt on my own or with my son, very rarely with another dog, and if we do the other dog retrives impecabbly.

just reading your post and was wondering if when you throw the rabbit in the garden is there only you and the dog there ? and when you are out hunting is theer any other dogs with you . only reason im asking you is that when out hunting and there is another dog some times dogs that have been trained with no other dogs there sometimes they dont like to come back all the way because of the other dog ! just a thought for you :D

"just reading your post and was wondering if when you throw the rabbit in the garden is there only you and the dog there ?" - no, it can be me , misus, or son makes no difference.

" and when you are out hunting is theer any other dogs with you . only reason im asking you is that when out hunting and there is another dog some times dogs that have been trained with no other dogs there sometimes they dont like to come back all the way because of the other dog ! just a thought for you" - 90% it is just me or my son. I fully appreciate that some dogs are jealous retrievers. thx for your input.

Lennard, sorry if I am hi-jacking your post !

L.S.,

My dog is a pleasure to own and work but lately he did not retrieve 2 catches. One of them I found but the other one was eaten by crows when I went up the next morning. It is also bugging cause the work is done over water a lot of times and I don't want to jump in myself.

He has a very good routine, comes back automatically when he got or lost what he was after so I can't really say anything or reward him more or less than normal. He has very little will to please and can't be rewarded with food.

Tennisball or something to practice retrieving is useless too. He does that playful 1 time and then looses interest.

What would you do?

L.

If He has constantly retrieved, and this a new. i personally would check his Mouth Teeth etc....... *if his running style and Movement are still the same* too may have a bearance

i have always trained like a building block.. so if one block fails i can go back - rebuild and Hopefully all will work out

Good Luck L hope it sorts out ;)

L.S.,

What would you do?

L.

If He has constantly retrieved, and this a new. i personally would check his Mouth Teeth etc....... *if his running style and Movement are still the same* too may have a bearance

i have always trained like a building block.. so if one block fails i can go back - rebuild and Hopefully all will work out

Good Luck L hope it sorts out ;)

With retrieving, lurchers its not natural.? Ive had them retrieve for 3 seasons great, then i have

found alot will kill at the catch, and leave it there. :o I think they all love the chase [natural]

thats the running dog in them. With other breeds in there, apart from gundogs[labs ..........]

even collies which i like in a lurcher, as clever as they are its not natural to retrieve?

If they bring back GREAT, but ifthey wont at what ever age, there is feck all you can do about it :(

as long as they catch [natural] they have done there job. ;);)

Having a collie lurcher would make it easier, the dog in question is a galgo. A hairy and racy longdog bred for hares on big fields originally...it has very little will to please and is hard to reward. it did some nice retrieves over water but the last times it doesn't.

Edited by Lennard

well leave it at that got saluk lurchers some are good some are not ,i dont push it as well they cant retreive beasties , and if you go out socaily with them likre to or more if they get the odd catch thay will change but got one who always fetches unless feched and one who doues but when shees in the mood but trained her and could retrain her but not fussed

L.S.,

What would you do?

L.

trie going to a small allie and through a pigs ear or some heavy chew that he will defo pick up and call him in, in time exchange it for a tennis ball. i did this with a dog that did not retrieve at all but now the dog loves going to the park to play fetch.