New guide to snaring in Scotland launched

A new best practice guide on snaring, Snaring in Scotland: a practitioners’guide, was launched by the Scottish minister for rural affairs and the environment, Michael Russell MSP, at the Newtown St Boswells campus of Borders College on 18 November.

The guide was published nine months after the Scottish Government’s decision not to ban snares but rather to regulate their use. It was co-authored by several leading rural organisations dedicated to professional wildlife management in Scotland including BASC, the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) and the Scottish Gamekeepers’ Association (SGA). Mr Russell said: “I am pleased to launch the practitioners’ guide, which is a prime example of different stakeholders working together and a significant step along the way to eliminating improper use of snares.

When done properly, snaring is a legitimate form of pest control. However, we are determined that those who use snares illegally and indiscriminately will be

vigorously pursued and punished. We will bring forward new legal regulations shortly.”

BASC Scotland’s Colin Shedden, who wrote the guide, told ST: “Since earlier

codes of practice were produced there has been legislative change and there will

be more in the future. This guidance is designed to ensure that everyone knows

how to stay within the law, to follow best practice and to understand the changes that are coming.”

The rest of this article appears in 27 November issue of Shooting Times.

A new best practice guide on snaring, Snaring in Scotland: a practitioners’guide, was launched by the Scottish minister for rural affairs and the environment, Michael Russell MSP, at the Newtown St Boswells campus of Borders College on 18 November.

The guide was published nine months after the Scottish Government’s decision not to ban snares but rather to regulate their use. It was co-authored by several leading rural organisations dedicated to professional wildlife management in Scotland including BASC, the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) and the Scottish Gamekeepers’ Association (SGA). Mr Russell said: “I am pleased to launch the practitioners’ guide, which is a prime example of different stakeholders working together and a significant step along the way to eliminating improper use of snares.

When done properly, snaring is a legitimate form of pest control. However, we are determined that those who use snares illegally and indiscriminately will be

vigorously pursued and punished. We will bring forward new legal regulations shortly.â€

codes of practice were produced there has been legislative change and there will

how to stay within the law, to follow best practice and to understand the changes that are coming.â€

All I can say is, thanks to Snareman, we should have enough choice in snaring methods and breakaway devices to comply with anything brought in. We owe Glenn a debt of gratitude for making available his design of breakaway links for various fox snare designs, and also the excellent stopped and breakaway rabbit snare. Hopefully everyone on here truly appreciates how lucky we are. Woodga too, I've recently been in touch with Woodga and he bent over backwards to help me, even though he could hardly breathe due to bruised ribs the guy is a true gentleman. The rest is down to us, and I would hope everyone who decides to snare, would carry it out in as professional a manner as possible, taking all local conditions into consideration. Thanks to the expert knowledge gained from years of experience available to us all on this site, we should be ok. Thanks guys, ian. :clapper:

It was co-authored by several leading rural organisations dedicated to professional wildlife management in Scotland including BASC, the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) and the Scottish Gamekeepers’ Association (SGA).

Does anyone know the credentials of the panel of so-called 'experts' that created this?

Are they genuine experienced trappers or deskbound wannabees?

Did anyone with knowledge 'assist' in its creation??

In my experience a lot of BASC/GWCT etc authorities wouldn't know how to begin with setting and using snares or traps effectively despite what they think.

If this is the case then it will fall at the first hurdle, despite the ability through education to use GW's snare designs to our advantage (and I say 'our' as in UK wide as the rest of the country will surely follow suit)

OTC

It was co-authored by several leading rural organisations dedicated to professional wildlife management in Scotland including BASC, the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust (GWCT) and the Scottish Gamekeepers’ Association (SGA).

Does anyone know the credentials of the panel of so-called 'experts' that created this?

Are they genuine experienced trappers or deskbound wannabees?

Did anyone with knowledge 'assist' in its creation??

In my experience a lot of BASC/GWCT etc authorities wouldn't know how to begin with setting and using snares or traps effectively despite what they think.

If this is the case then it will fall at the first hurdle, despite the ability through education to use GW's snare designs to our advantage (and I say 'our' as in UK wide as the rest of the country will surely follow suit)

OTC

I don't know what credentials they might have. I do know that the stuff on their websites prior to this was absolute rubbish, because I was told so by someone on this site who knows these things.

I agree OTC that this is UK bound, not just for Scotland. They usually test stuff on us first, eg poll tax. I also know that snareman did everything in his power to inject some sanity into the proceedings. Like everything government does, it'll only affect the law abiding folks. Look no further than silly gun and knife bans. When I was 16 you could buy shotguns and bowie knives out of club books. you got your licence at the post office, yet I've never known anyone shot. This latest interference, however it manifests itself will only affect those of us who already care and try to do the job properly. Any "cowboys" will likely not heed anything, and should one be caught, the sh1t will hit everyone.

At the moment I'm hoping it'll be sensible advice, but bear in mind they're being lobbied by the lunatic fringe, with their psychodrama videos.

http://www.scottishcountrysidealliance.org...%20Scotland.pdf

No fox wires through or under fence lines, through hedges, not attached to fences, not alongside fencelines, not on footbridges, or planks, or alongside streams or rivers . . .

Clear proof that no-one listened if GW did speak to them - 4 inch loop and 3 inch high for rabbits . . . I don't think they would have been his recommendations would they??

More office driven politics without the faintest idea of the real world - I wish these people would bloody listen to some sense once in a while. It makes me mad

OTC

http://www.scottishcountrysidealliance.org...%20Scotland.pdf

No fox wires through or under fence lines, through hedges, not attached to fences, not alongside fencelines, not on footbridges, or planks, or alongside streams or rivers . . .

Clear proof that no-one listened if GW did speak to them - 4 inch loop and 3 inch high for rabbits . . . I don't think they would have been his recommendations would they??

More office driven politics without the faintest idea of the real world - I wish these people would bloody listen to some sense once in a while. It makes me mad

OTC

I Just read it, slowly twice, and can't believe it. 3" is actually less than the usually recommended four fingers, and to add insult to injury a four inch loop. FFS. ian

Snareman, Woodga, Peg&Gun, Duckwing, Moley, and anyone else proficient with wires . . .

Please let me see your comments and reaction to this

OTC

WELL OTC ,

FIRST OFF I DONT CONSIDER MYSELF PROFICIENT WITH WIRES .......... I CATCH A GOOD FEW , BUT IAM STILL LEARNING ..

BUT HERE GOES ..............

IMO ............. GLEN HAS BEEN DOING A STERLING JOB TRYING TO EDUCATE THE SCOTTISH OFFICE AND THE ENGLISH AND WELSH COUNTERPARTS ................

HOWEVER .............

IMO ............ THEY WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE ANYWAY AS THE LABOUR PARTY IS BACKED BY THE ANIMAL TERRORISTS

NOTHING SAID WILL CHANGE THEIR WAY OF THINKING ........... FOR INSTANCE ........... THE FOX SNARING ON BRIDGES PLANKS AND NEAR STREAMS ........... IF ............ THEY THOUGHT ABOUT ANIMAL WELFARE THEY WOULD REALISE THE DROP WILL KILL VERY , VERY , MUCH QUICKER .......... YET THEY SAY NO ???????

RABBITS AND FOXES SNARED ON FENCE LINES ARE USUALLY DEAD IF THEY DECIDE TO JUMP BACK THROUGH THE FENCE , ITS QUICK ............ IS THAT A BAD THING ???

NOT TO ME ........... WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IN PICKING UP A DEAD CONEY OR KILLING ONE ???????????

ITS NOT ABOUT ANIMAL WELFARE BOYS ................ ITS ABOUT THE GOVERMENT AND ITS BACKERS ........... IMPOSSING THEIR MIND SET OF ANIMAL CONTROL OVER US WHO DARE TO DO IT THE TRADITIONAL WAY ...... A WAY THATS BEEN PROVEN OVER HUNDREDS OF YRS ,

THE DESK BOUND OFFICALS AND SCIENTISTS HAVE THE BRASS NECK TO THINK THEY KNOW BETTER ............ BULLSHIT !!

AS FAR AS THE GOVERMENT ..............AND THEIR PANEL OF EXPERTS .............. ITS A FECKIN JOKE ..........

I WAS TALKING TO A FRIEND WHO TRAPS IN ANOTHER COUNTRY ............ HES AN EDUCATED MAN AS WELL AS A PRACTICAL MAN INVOLVED IN HIS COUNTRYS GOVERMENT , HES READ ALL THE LINKS IVE SENT TO HIM CONCERNING DEFRA , THE GOVERMENT ETC IN THE LINE OF HUNTING AND TRAPPING ............... TO SAY HE WAS AMAZED WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT , HIS OPINON OF OUR COUNTRY IS NOW LAUGHABLE .........I ONLY WISH I FELT LIKE LAUGHING :(

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

vigorously pursued and punished. We will bring forward new legal regulations shortly.â€

how to stay within the law, to follow best practice and to understand the changes that are coming.â€

This is going to knacker up folks with railway running through. I rely on fence snaring as my mainstay on two little farms I do.

Snareman, Woodga, Peg&Gun, Duckwing, Moley, and anyone else proficient with wires . . .

Please let me see your comments and reaction to this

OTC

i am an SGA member, and really could not believe what i was reading in the scottish gamekeeper magazine, when it arrived last saturday morning, about setting fox snares at 5 inches high, and the usual 100 year old drivel of setting rabbit snares with 4 inch nooses set 3 fingers high, i phoned BASC, and they said it was best practice , thought up by the usual organisations, and to phone BASC scotland , and spoke to the man the office , i explained the situation, and asked what clowns came up with all this nonsense, after an hour,s conversation, isent breakaway fox snares and rabbit snare samples , plus all the simple attachments plus spring handled earth anchors, none of which he had ever seen before, i wonder why, because the basc headquarter,s in wales have had lots of my sample snares away back since the early 90,s, all the main field sports organisations in UK have samples of my breakaway fox and rabbit snares, yet not one of them has ever put forward an article in any of the field sports magazines about them , except steve caple , who wrote about the breakaway rabbit snares, and also in the NPTA, magazine, yet we see snippets here and there in various papers about this college and that one , all trying to come up with new breakaway systems, i have been working with breakaways for the last 14 years . before all the so called experts thought about it , in my opinion , the all in one breakaway fox snare eye that i devised ,which i have put up on H. LIFE, for anyone to copy and freely make , will never rust, has no sharp edges or corners, and is animal friendly, and has been tried and tested on many occasiosns and found to work pretty well, plus the non breakaway non rusting fox snare eye , that just needs to be cut of the old snare and keep reusing them for your lifetime , and never ever need to buy a fox snare eye again, they are both made for one penny, i believe that if any of the large fieldsports organisations had come up with all the breakaway snare systems that i have come up with , they would have been splashed from cover to cover over every field sports magazine in the country , but seeing that it was me a common joe bloggs , a nobody, that has come up with all the .advanced snaring techniqes, and quick two second securing devices , thats taken all the hard work out of modern fox snaring , they don,t want to know, but there is more bad news coming for all the so called experts , because the new fox snare that i have just completed with a humane extra added to it will be on its way to the scottish office , and defra office in bristol, next week , we on the hunting life are committed to try and erradicate all this small noose and set low mentalitry , that has gripped our country for the last century , leading the way forward for best humane setting and snaring practices , as we have the real top notch snaremen with the most advanced snaring and trapping brains in the uk. on this site, the only people who are a danger to us , are the intelligent idiots who come up with all the nonsense that we are opposed to , it is them who will get snaring banned themselves not the men in the field, because every non target species will get caught due to the nonsense about setting snares low to the ground , i know most of these experts , and not one of them has ever snared a thousand rabbits in a week , or snared over a hundred foxes in a winter alone. but these are the boys who know everything . at least the truth is not suppressed on the hunting life. buy the christmas special the sporting shooter out on thursday past. there is an article about rabbit snaring in it .

The advice that has been given is very similar if not the same as the DEFRA code of practise on snares and snaring that was published in October 2005. The main point argued is that the snare is deemed a "Holding" device rather than a "Killing" device......hence the need for stops to be fitted to wires and the requirement to site them where there is no chance of "Fatal" entanglement. All the areas where traditionally a clean kill could be obtained : Hedgerows, gateways, fencelines etc. are forbidden and we have now been told that we cannot use them........and what is even more galling....by someone who has probably never ever seen, let alone set, a wire in there lives. Fortunately the DEFRA code is only a best practice one........and as yet is not law...........but for how long is anybody's guess. But it does ask the question who the hell are these people being advised by when the undertake such drastic measures...certainly not by the people that use wires day in and day out thats for sure. As someone said...........common sense isn't really that common ;)

Rolfe. ;)