which 22

I have just joined a shooting club after buying an air rifle with the intention of shooting some bunnies. New to hunting so thought it would be good to learn to shoot first before trying to find permission. I would like to purchase a 22 after my probation period and also when I have a licence (obviously). I know very little, well no knowledge of rifles and would like recomendation on which gun to start with and weather to look at bolt actions or semi's. Am happy to buy second hand and would like to keep it under £300. Any advice welcome.

Cheers :notworthy:

CZ Rimfires!!! :notworthy:

I now have 3 in different calibres (actually 4 as I have an additional one on my cert at the moment for my lad)!!

I have been fortunate enough over the years to use a great many variations of rimfires and currently I see no reason why I will, or should, ever require more than a CZ!! :thumbs:

Ruger 10/22! it's cheaper than any CZ now, and it shoots straight enough for bunny rabbits. Don't worry about modding it, the only thing you do need is the trigger kit which is cheap. Overall bill still well under a new CZ.

if you care for them they don't jam either, except the odd one. Very useful bit of kit.

But, since there are so many out there, try a few at the club and see what you prefer.

My choice would be a second hand anschutz with a short barrel next would be a sako finfire also secondhand.

You don't need to go new if you want something new get a new scope and a moderator.

Bolt action IMO are best as the semi's always jam at the most crucial times.

Edited by coldweld
My choice would be a second hand anschutz with a short barrel next would be a sako finfire also secondhand.

You don't need to go new if you want something new get a new scope and a moderator.

I have read a bit about the finfire, am i right in thinking they no longer produce them? not that i will be buying new. Also, what are the advantages of a short barrel and if i find a good gun with a longer barrel is it straight forward enough to have it shortened and is it expensive. Im aware of the importance of a good scope, the one on my air rifle is rubbish so I know whats on my xmas list.

Cheers.

I have read a bit about the finfire, am i right in thinking they no longer produce them? not that i will be buying new. Also, what are the advantages of a short barrel and if i find a good gun with a longer barrel is it straight forward enough to have it shortened and is it expensive. Im aware of the importance of a good scope, the one on my air rifle is rubbish so I know whats on my xmas list.

Cheers.

Finnfire went out of production about 3 years ago, but a VERY slim chance you may just find a new one on a dealers shelf somewhere, not many used ones about on the whole as owners tend to keep hold of them!! Replaced by the Quad!

No advantage of a short barrel except ease and manouverability! Barrel cutting is fairly straightforward but NOT cheap, especially if you need to re proof!!

The advantage of a short barrel IS the manouverability and when moderator is fitted ideal for shooting out a confined space [ landrover ]

Cut/recrown and reproof should be about £ 160 max

Look on guntrader there are anschutz and finfires on there ! What you will notice though lots CZ's are cheaper new than a second hand sako !

Need i say more ?

there is no difference in accuracy in any of them really. sako the name says it all super rifles but abit long i think.

annie lovely smooth bolt and trigger, carbine barrel so good in the jeep. for the price tho there wood work ie the stock isnt a very good finish. inless you get the thumbhole one.

i had the cz style nickel finish done the trigger smoothed the bolt. and took alot of rabbits with it.

my money would go one one of them.

if i was after hmr then i would get sako or annie.

hi, if you go for the CZ you wont regret it ,you can spend twice the money ,but you wont get twice the gun ,well made and accurate,with if you look around some have such pretty wood you would kill for it. i have a farmer mate who has been shooting rabbits with his for 25 yrs ,its shot countless thousands and it will still be going srong in another 25yrs which is more than can be said for him[only joking].semi autos are nice and good fun but mine always jammed at the wrong moment,if you want a compromise between the two go for a marlin lever action ,super fast follow up shot but 100% reliable[ and 19 shot mag!] but a heavy gun for a rimfire as they are built like a tank ,hope this helps greasemonkey

there is no difference in accuracy in any of them really. sako the name says it all super rifles but abit long i think.

annie lovely smooth bolt and trigger, carbine barrel so good in the jeep. for the price tho there wood work ie the stock isnt a very good finish. inless you get the thumbhole one.

i had the cz style nickel finish done the trigger smoothed the bolt. and took alot of rabbits with it.

my money would go one one of them.

if i was after hmr then i would get sako or annie.

Hi jaime...I'm a little confused as well, don't forget the Silhouette & Style with Full length and 16 inch barrels are now available in HMR>>>>>I got a full length Silhouette in August, probably the first in the UK, prior to this I was a bit of a fan of the Sako Quad Synthetic HMR but I have to say now, the difference between the 2 is hard to find, and I could no longer bring myself to suggest the Quad is worth nearly twice the money...don't get me wrong...quad is good, but I just can't see it is worth the difference in any way!!

Anschutz is the proverbial brick shithouse..great guns, last forever, take the abuse...but again, not cheap and I struggle to see the possible "tiny" increase in accuracy is worth the serious increase in price to most people, certainly not me!

Cheers!! :thumbs: