secret fish followed on

Let me apoligize firstly for the quality of the photograph used in this artical,,..... Wont say to much about this this fish because everything about it is bizarre!!!

This salmon was caught on the 30th December!! In a frozen river!! on a live bait!! measuring nearly 10"" long!!! and was a golden trout!! Now it is hard enough to get a slamon to take a small fly, never mind a f... off lively livebait. As salmon once in the river rarely feed, and that is why they are so difficult to catch. They have one thing on there mind, and usually have to be wound up by the constant casting of a fly, that they strike!

And what the hell was this salmon doing in the river at this time of the year!!And feeding in such cold conditoins.

The salmon didnt look like it was dieing like alot do after or before spawning, it looked fit and fought like nothing else i have hooked, and i have pike and cats to well over 30lb.

It weighted 21lb and i returned it alive(if i had got caught on the river, never mind with a salmon in my persession i would have been in the shit, lol)

post-17284-1226398076.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RFYL, Once again great fish, The only bizarre thing is the look on your face were is the smile mate ?

or was the weight too much to hold

LOL, i knew some one would mention that, lol, it didnt just fight like f... in the water, it did on the bank also!! i was fighting to hold it straight, hence the face...

And what the hell was this salmon doing in the river at this time of the year!!And feeding in such cold conditoins.

That's one big salmon rfyl. :clapper:

I don't know what river you caught it in but it would be common to find salmon of that size in the rivers up here in December and even January.

I don't think for a minute that it was feeding,more than likely it was on a redd waiting to spawn when your live bait entered it's territory and the salmon just snapped at it to move it on and hooked itself. :hmm:

looks like a kelt (a fish that has spawned) but a good fish none the less

Whys that mick, just curious? These isnt a mark on it, cut fin, bang, bashes, and certainly wasnt dying, lol?

Not all Atlantic Salmon die after spawning, like the pacific salmon.... I thought it looked like a kelt too

looks like a kelt (a fish that has spawned) but a good fish none the less

Whys that mick, just curious? These isnt a mark on it, cut fin, bang, bashes, and certainly wasnt dying, lol?

Not all Atlantic Salmon die after spawning, like the pacific salmon.... I thought it looked like a kelt too

Right nice one troutabout, dont really know to much about the different species.....And is not easy to tell when a salmon is full of spawn....