Pike/Barbel

Ive recently obtained permission on a bit of water that holds quite a few pike, and apparently barbel aswell. ive never fished for either of these species, but ive done a fair bit of course and loads of sea fishing. i just wondered wether any of you guys had and good tips on rigs, techniques, line, lures etc etc.

Any advice would be much aprectiated!

thanks in advance

Molie

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive recently obtained permission on a bit of water that holds quite a few pike, and apparently barbel aswell. ive never fished for either of these species, but ive done a fair bit of course and loads of sea fishing. i just wondered wether any of you guys had and good tips on rigs, techniques, line, lures etc etc.

Any advice would be much aprectiated!

thanks in advance

Molie

What river mate?

The mole empties out at Hampton court palace,Mole record is 15lb 4oz for barbel,but there was an electro-fishing survey on the thames between hampton and kingston 2 years ago,it turned up barbel to around the 20lb mark :victory:

River Mole mate, in surrey, tributary to the thames. any advice fortcoming ?! its fairly deep, fairly slow, with a weer aswell.

Yep the weirs are a good starting point.

You cant beat time spent walking the banks and fish spotting to start with though look for signs of faster water running into deep areas etc etc overhanging bushes,depth changes, all the usual river features.If its to deep to spot fish ,then talk to the local anglers or check out the worn swims.

Try a few sessions with the chair left at home and go light weight,try as many different swims as possible..........You never just no.

Pluckers son has given out some good bait ideas too mate,look at some of the pastes and boilies too.At this time of year try not to put to much bait in,avoid the frost for barbel as they get real hard work then. Rain and low pressure is best for winter barbs!

Done a bit on the Mole because my mate used to live at Dorking. There wer'nt any barbel around the stretch we fished but the last few years have seen a lot of fish movements round the country :whistling: so who knows now. The pike seemed to really like those rubber shad lures .The big six/seven inch ones. We'd thread a wire trace through the lure and tie a couple of trebles onto the trace using beads to stop them being pulled back into the rubber of the lure. then push a weight into the breast of the lure to act as a keel. This way the shad can be fished in a much more natural way than if the standard weighted -head single hoo

k rig is used. The lure sits in the water just like a real fish and the slightest current makes the tail flick even before you've started a retrieve. Good luck

PS nice slow retrieve ,under the bushes ,round all the snags and along your own bank but don't ignore the open water especially if the current is strong or it is windy.

Edited by comanche
Just checked the records list the Mole record for barbs fell this year (March) to 15lb 6 oz same fish apparently.Looks like there a few barbel in there anyway.

Crikey! mind you the Mole used to hold decent shoals of bream and turned-up some nice chub up to 5lb (ok so I saw some caught ,I did'nt get one meself :icon_redface: )so the feed ing must be quite good.

im going to be fishing a stretch upstream from dorking, aparently no-ones fished there for a long while, so hopefully there could be some deep dark secrets in there somewhere, just a case of where! theres another stretch i would like to fish too but i think that would be a case of mackem style nocturnal fishing :whistling::ninja: any tips on night pikeing, any point?

cheers for all the help barbus and crew!

Molie