Pike/Barbel

Yep thats right you learn the markings of the fish and then name it to make it easier for future reference.........thats all I'm saying. No rights and wrongs ,just opinions!!

Yeah thats right, no rules, if you look, i put "lol" as i said it, you know tongue in cheek...

No probs dude ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runforyourlife, and comanche. thanks for all the advice! the stretch isnt far from mickleham, upstream a few miles from there. i was planning on goin out this weekend but with shite weather and a stinking cold it wasnt to be! ill keep you informed about it all as and when it goes on!! planning doesnt come well to me so you'll just have to wait with baited breath, or hooks!

Cheers again!

Molie

Ok molie, and good luck...

im going to be fishing a stretch upstream from dorking, aparently no-ones fished there for a long while, so hopefully there could be some deep dark secrets in there somewhere, just a case of where! theres another stretch i would like to fish too but i think that would be a case of mackem style nocturnal fishing :whistling::ninja: any tips on night pikeing, any point?

cheers for all the help barbus and crew!

Molie

Mickleham stretch? The Box hill bit could be fun .Plenty of small chub and catchable roach/dace/perch etc to keep the interest up and always the chance of the odd better fish as a bonus but I'm going back some years. For this sort of fishing and piking I'd probably go for a minimal tackle ,mobile approach,move-on when a swim goes dead but of barbel I have no real experience so barbus has to be" the man", although I did hook and lose one in my local millstream once ! :icon_redface: How it got there one can only guess.

Pike do detect deadbaits by scent .I've watched pike home-in on a dead fish and very delicately pick it up--nothing like the slashing take used on a live fish. I've had the odd jack while night fishing but on the southern rivers I fish the magic time for pike seems to be the last hour or so of a winter afternoon -just as the light fades and the temperature drops.

Pic enclosed of what I reckon is a great lure set-up for these small/ medium rivers. note the weight pushed into the breast of the lure ,aids casting and acts as a keel to keep the bait stable in the water ,the trebles high on the flanks so you can fish slow even in shallow water without snagging the bottom. All you need now is a pike with a rubber fetish ..Good luck!

These rubber shads are good fish pullers, especially on rivers. I had 3 spawn bound 20lb plusers, in an evening shad fishing on the ouze.

The set up should be different to the one pictured tho. As the ones in the pic will miss many striking pike.

The hold at the beak of the shad can be a number 2 sea hook(single) pushed thro the chin and out the nose. The next hook should be along the flank, then carry the wire on and out an inch before the tail then have a number 2 treble(or lure hook) trailing from the shad. This hook will catch more pike than you would believe. It hooks the pike what miss the shad on the strike!!

As for night piking, it can be very very productive, depending on which or what kind of water you are fishing.. Many hard fished waters start to respond at night(like any water and any fish which get preasured throughout the day)..

In the early 90's, i fished a cold deep nw resiviour through the night for over 2 years. The reason for this, was quite simple, i was poaching, and couldnt get on any other time. When i did manage to, it was still good sport with many big fish.

In those 2 years of night fishing i banked over 100 double figure pike, with 18 going over 20lb. I could set my clock by the pike on there, and at 1.15am to 1.30am, i would usually get 2 runs!

I have had 3 20lbers in different areas from loch lomond in the night, while being nicely cuddled up in my bivvy!! gutted, lol.. NIGHT FISHING FOR PIKE CAN BE VERY PRODUCTIVE. Altho i dont see the need to do it, unless you have to..

And the easiest way and most productive way to catch pike from a river is simply wobbling a dead bait!

You dont say yournto lure fishing, so why use them, and why spend money on them. Obviously a lure angler will catch and catch well(i do very little else these days, than just trolling my lures from my boat) Get some roach dead baits and wobble them. Its a killer method on a river, it really is.

Make sure you fish the snags,the shallows, but most of all get a bait as far down to cover the depths as possible. Basically cover all areas. I had a 34 on a lure from a yorkshire river. The lure was bouncing bottom at 28ft!! Ithen had a 30 from a scottish river in 2ft of water while wobbling a jack pike! So try all areas, and dont forget about under your feet but keep quiet. good luck, and keep us in formed.....

:notworthy: Bow to your catches though I'd not boast about spawn-laden fish meself but that's me being old fashioned. Can't see the need or found one for the hook in the head of the shad ,the two staggered hooks in the flank seem to cover most eventuallities. As for a trailing hook . Na ,I've got confidence in this rig as it is and I reckon that counts for a lot.. . Not saying you're wrong but just that some things are not for me.Anyway your catches speak for themselves! :notworthy: . Big wobbled deadbaits though. Totally with you! :thumbs:

Edited by comanche
im going to be fishing a stretch upstream from dorking, aparently no-ones fished there for a long while, so hopefully there could be some deep dark secrets in there somewhere, just a case of where! theres another stretch i would like to fish too but i think that would be a case of mackem style nocturnal fishing :whistling::ninja: any tips on night pikeing, any point?

Molie

Mickleham stretch? The Box hill bit could be fun .Plenty of small chub and catchable roach/dace/perch etc to keep the interest up and always the chance of the odd better fish as a bonus but I'm going back some years. For this sort of fishing and piking I'd probably go for a minimal tackle ,mobile approach,move-on when a swim goes dead but of barbel I have no real experience so barbus has to be" the man", although I did hook and lose one in my local millstream once ! :icon_redface: How it got there one can only guess.

Pike do detect deadbaits by scent .I've watched pike home-in on a dead fish and very delicately pick it up--nothing like the slashing take used on a live fish. I've had the odd jack while night fishing but on the southern rivers I fish the magic time for pike seems to be the last hour or so of a winter afternoon -just as the light fades and the temperature drops.

Pic enclosed of what I reckon is a great lure set-up for these small/ medium rivers. note the weight pushed into the breast of the lure ,aids casting and acts as a keel to keep the bait stable in the water ,the trebles high on the flanks so you can fish slow even in shallow water without snagging the bottom. All you need now is a pike with a rubber fetish ..Good luck!

These rubber shads are good fish pullers, especially on rivers. I had 3 spawn bound 20lb plusers, in an evening shad fishing on the ouze.

The set up should be different to the one pictured tho. As the ones in the pic will miss many striking pike.

The hold at the beak of the shad can be a number 2 sea hook(single) pushed thro the chin and out the nose. The next hook should be along the flank, then carry the wire on and out an inch before the tail then have a number 2 treble(or lure hook) trailing from the shad. This hook will catch more pike than you would believe. It hooks the pike what miss the shad on the strike!!

As for night piking, it can be very very productive, depending on which or what kind of water you are fishing.. Many hard fished waters start to respond at night(like any water and any fish which get preasured throughout the day)..

In the early 90's, i fished a cold deep nw resiviour through the night for over 2 years. The reason for this, was quite simple, i was poaching, and couldnt get on any other time. When i did manage to, it was still good sport with many big fish.

In those 2 years of night fishing i banked over 100 double figure pike, with 18 going over 20lb. I could set my clock by the pike on there, and at 1.15am to 1.30am, i would usually get 2 runs!

I have had 3 20lbers in different areas from loch lomond in the night, while being nicely cuddled up in my bivvy!! gutted, lol.. NIGHT FISHING FOR PIKE CAN BE VERY PRODUCTIVE. Altho i dont see the need to do it, unless you have to..

And the easiest way and most productive way to catch pike from a river is simply wobbling a dead bait!

You dont say yournto lure fishing, so why use them, and why spend money on them. Obviously a lure angler will catch and catch well(i do very little else these days, than just trolling my lures from my boat) Get some roach dead baits and wobble them. Its a killer method on a river, it really is.

Make sure you fish the snags,the shallows, but most of all get a bait as far down to cover the depths as possible. Basically cover all areas. I had a 34 on a lure from a yorkshire river. The lure was bouncing bottom at 28ft!! Ithen had a 30 from a scottish river in 2ft of water while wobbling a jack pike! So try all areas, and dont forget about under your feet but keep quiet. good luck, and keep us in formed.....

:notworthy: Bow to your catches though I'd not boast about spawn-laden fish meself but that's me being old fashioned. Can't see the need or found one for the hook in the head of the shad ,the two staggered hooks in the flank seem to cover most eventuallities. As for a trailing hook . Na ,I've got confidence in this rig as it is and I reckon that counts for a lot.. . Not saying you're wrong but just that some things are not for me.Anyway your catches speak for themselves! :notworthy: . Big wobbled deadbaits though. Totally with you! :thumbs:

I cant understand wether you mean you like big wobbled deads or not, as you put an exclamation mark on the end... And as for spawn laden pike, you go fish loch lomond, and loch awe(20mile plus), and find the fish when they are not spwaning, That is when you fish for the big girls, as they congrigate to spawn from as early as january, right through to late april!! What do you do, do you, pick out the non spawn bound fish, lol....And you wont know the need for the trailing hook, till you put one on, then you will realize how many missed strikes you have been missing.... I didnt think that your rig wouldnt be effective, just helping it on its way..... Showed the trailing hook to Gord Burtton(no longer mates) and he adventually agreed....

Its like when your trolling a dead or live big bait, say a bream, or jack pike, you should always have a big trailing hook, you will find that this hooks a hell of a lot of fish......

And yes, confidence is a major factor while pike fishing... I have no confidence in the chub creek(not because gord made it, lol) because i canr catch on it, yet it holds the british record.lol..

Cornanche, i wasnt having a go at any of your rigs, they are very worthy was just trying to help you....In the past i have tested rods for shimano and another name, if i told the other name any faults or new finds, they seem to spit there dumbys.... there would never be any progresss, if people couldnt better what has already been made......

Molie

I cant understand wether you mean you like big wobbled deads or not, as you put an exclamation mark on the end... And as for spawn laden pike, you go fish loch lomond, and loch awe(20mile plus), and find the fish when they are not spwaning, That is when you fish for the big girls, as they congrigate to spawn from as early as january, right through to late april!! What do you do, do you, pick out the non spawn bound fish, lol....And you wont know the need for the trailing hook, till you put one on, then you will realize how many missed strikes you have been missing.... I didnt think that your rig wouldnt be effective, just helping it on its way..... Showed the trailing hook to Gord Burtton(no longer mates) and he adventually agreed....

Its like when your trolling a dead or live big bait, say a bream, or jack pike, you should always have a big trailing hook, you will find that this hooks a hell of a lot of fish......

And yes, confidence is a major factor while pike fishing... I have no confidence in the chub creek(not because gord made it, lol) because i canr catch on it, yet it holds the british record.lol..

Cornanche, i wasnt having a go at any of your rigs, they are very worthy was just trying to help you....In the past i have tested rods for shimano and another name, if i told the other name any faults or new finds, they seem to spit there dumbys.... there would never be any progresss, if people couldnt better what has already been made......

p.s tgher hook in the head is for a better hold thats all, and it seems to move better on the retrive, abit more soldid, than being to floppy contacnhe

Your probably right mate but like you said it's the confidence thing . I was never happy with the weighted head /sea hook rigged shads . The first time I took my weighted keel beastie out I caught a pike accidently! I'd only dangled it under the rod-tip to watch its action in what was a very slow flow,not even retieving it or moving the rod -tip and within seconds I was into a fish. Hence I have confidence in the rig but I'm not disregarding your advice ---it makes some sense . :thumbs:

As for not catching spawning fish . Well I don't fish in the Close Season even on waters where there is no longer a Close season . I'm just not comfortable doing it . So I don't.

I know one of the easiest times for pike is when they are shoaling for spawning and yes if started getting heavily spawn laden fish I'd rather go home and leave em to their nuptuals. As a lad I remember the general excitment as all the kids fishing a farm pond would dash over to anyone lucky enough to have caught one of the "big ones" ( We're talking any tench or carp over a pound !).I also remember the stigma & groans of ,"Oh it's full of spawn. That does'nt count.Get it back in the water . " When a ripe fish was banked . Again that's only my outlook based on my introduction & attitude to fishing . I know that in different areas and situations other people do it their own way .

Truth is RFYL I'm a bit of a Luddite and traditionalist and whilst I've been at it for years I'm probably not even an average angler which is probably why I've not caught the sort of fish you have and probably never will :D Each to his own though and wish you plenty of tight lines & look forward to seeing the results .All the best :thumbs: