out for a stroll

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice one :clapper:

thanks for your interest,there are 34 hounds in kennels at the present 25 hunting hounds and 9 youngsters,mostly welsh hounds there are a few pure fellhounds which fit in well with the pack,in one of the welsh lines is a bit of english breeding from the east kent out of a bitch called active 83,we had her in 88 and used a welshdog over her,but over the years i have continued to use welshdogs over the offspring,but every so often i still get a crossbred looking hound with a broken coat

Sounds excellent sport Old Dog, dont mean to be nosey but is it a formal hunt or is it something you have built up over the years and are they all your own hounds or are you part of a trencher fed or syndicate set up, like i say sorry for being nosey but i am very interested in people who keep many hounds, would like to myself one day, we hunt a small pack of Lurchers, Terriers and a Cocker x Hound, but i would like to start to introduce a few hounds over the next few seasons.

Dave.

Sounds excellent sport Old Dog, dont mean to be nosey but is it a formal hunt or is it something you have built up over the years and are they all your own hounds or are you part of a trencher fed or syndicate set up, like i say sorry for being nosey but i am very interested in people who keep many hounds, would like to myself one day, we hunt a small pack of Lurchers, Terriers and a Cocker x Hound, but i would like to start to introduce a few hounds over the next few seasons.

Dave.

how u doing dave,i've had hounds 20 years now,all the hounds belong to me .I started doing the terrier work for a farmers pack, the huntsman fell ill and had to finish, so i was asked to take the hounds on,he had about 15 there, but they were wild you could'nt handle them they take chunks out of you,and there was alot of old ones there,basically i had to start from scratch.we are syndicted there are 24 paying members, and there is about 15 farmers that follow us all depending which area we are in.it is a close shop with us, we are all good mates.

Sounds similar. Myself and my Dad have 28 hounds and two litters of young pups this year. we hunt every sat on foot. Do alot of digging bu no guns. we normally have about ten out. but we take no money we run a good show each year which helps fund it. we used to have alot of fell and welsh blood now its nearly all old english or harrier, have good old sport now. good hunting Johnny

Sounds similar. Myself and my Dad have 28 hounds and two litters of young pups this year. we hunt every sat on foot. Do alot of digging bu no guns. we normally have about ten out. but we take no money we run a good show each year which helps fund it. we used to have alot of fell and welsh blood now its nearly all old english or harrier, have good old sport now. good hunting Johnny

Hi johnny,you are a lucky man to run your hounds on the permission you have got,the farmers with me would not allow us ,if we found 6 foxes they expect them all to be accounted for,the only place we can run the hounds without taking any guns would be up on the mountain and i agree with you its a great day out we have always had 2-3 there.You said that you had some welsh hounds were did you get them from, and why did you phase them out for the old english hounds,i would have though the welsh had more drive with them.We also hold a big show every year for funding but we need to take subs as well, between hound, gun,van insurances tax for the van and the odd vets bill and fuel you can kiss goodbye to 2 grand, but whats money got to do with it speak to you soon mate

Hi johnny,you are a lucky man to run your hounds on the permission you have got,the farmers with me would not allow us ,if we found 6 foxes they expect them all to be accounted for,the only place we can run the hounds without taking any guns would be up on the mountain and i agree with you its a great day out we have always had 2-3 there.You said that you had some welsh hounds were did you get them from, and why did you phase them out for the old english hounds,i would have though the welsh had more drive with them.We also hold a big show every year for funding but we need to take subs as well, between hound, gun,van insurances tax for the van and the odd vets bill and fuel you can kiss goodbye to 2 grand, but whats money got to do with it speak to you soon mate

We are friends with a welsh man called Alan Morgan who used to hunt a pack over there and then hunted a pack here then went and hunted the West Street and Tickham, he gave us alot. And Dad is from england and used to work in Wales so kept our contacts. Welsh are full of drive but found to be a bit soft for long days and electric fence. Old english are very hard and would have as good a voice as the welsh I think!. Harriers are sorta wild, but this is good sometimes as they cast themelves very wide at a cast if we far behind. What part of Wales are you.Frfiends from just down the road are very good friends with the Tivyside lads , there going over hunting there this weekend. What sort of terriers you have? Johnny

We are friends with a welsh man called Alan Morgan who used to hunt a pack over there and then hunted a pack here then went and hunted the West Street and Tickham, he gave us alot. And Dad is from england and used to work in Wales so kept our contacts. Welsh are full of drive but found to be a bit soft for long days and electric fence. Old english are very hard and would have as good a voice as the welsh I think!. Harriers are sorta wild, but this is good sometimes as they cast themelves very wide at a cast if we far behind. What part of Wales are you.Frfiends from just down the road are very good friends with the Tivyside lads , there going over hunting there this weekend. What sort of terriers you have? Johnny

The land i hunt over is between dai in the tivyside and carmarthen, me and dai are good mates for the past 20 years.we hunt twice a week ,wednesday ,sundays,i keep russels in he kennels for the mid week, ian does the work on the weekends he keeps all nick stevens breeding has done for 25 years. all the best andy

good thread old dog,i was out with dave c watching hounds yesterday.had a good afternoon :thumbs:

id happily pay £2000 a year to to be able to work terriers with hounds regularly especially back in the old days when a lurcher could be used aswell. :laugh: it costs me more than that a year to work the lurcher.

keep posting updates old dog