Inaccurate .223 reloads

Hi. Please can someone advise me on the following - I know you guys can work magic ;)

I have a Remington VTR .223 with a 9T barrel, and it shoots great groups with 55grain bullets. However, I know the 9T's should be able to stabilize and shoot up to 73 grain heads.

I have tried several batches of 69g Sierra matchking with 25.5 grains BLC2, but the accuracy is terrible! They are all over the place but give a consistent velocity of ~2750 fps.

I have measured the seating depth for these specific bullets for my chamber and I am seating to 2.310'', just back off the lands of 2.315''.

Having done this though I don't know what to try next!! I don't think I can get closer on the bullet seating. Should I be trying to get them faster so they stabilise?

Any advice greatly welcomed!!

cheers,

Shaun.

Hi

I shoot a Tikka T3 varmint 223 1:8 twist. I use 55g FMJ , 65g Sierra gameking and 75g A-max. They all shoot well in the rifle. My main load is 24.5grains of Vihtavouri N140 and a 75g Hornady A-max bullet.

For you to get a consistent velocity and you are loading as per the powder manufacturers recomendations your reloading must be good. When seating bullets I seat them to fit in my mag as A-max bullets are very long, as long as the bullets can't be pushed in the case or pulled out of the case seating the bullet is down to personal preference.

I would look at the sight or mounts or even check the stock screws for tightness if accuracy is that bad.

But if you get good groups with 55grain bullets , "I'm not sure whats next".

Reloading is not a black art its just finding whats best for your gun.

You are correct 1:9, 1:8 and 1:7 twists are for stabilising heavy bullets and 1:12 for light bullets.

Must say I use anything in my Tikka and it shoots great with all weight's of bullet up to 200,250 yds. Greater distance I always use 75g A-max.

I realy don't dont have an answer for you :icon_redface: but as said I have never had an issue with any bullet I've put through my Tikka.

Hi

I shoot a Tikka T3 varmint 223 1:8 twist. I use 55g FMJ , 65g Sierra gameking and 75g A-max. They all shoot well in the rifle. My main load is 24.5grains of Vihtavouri N140 and a 75g Hornady A-max bullet.

For you to get a consistent velocity and you are loading as per the powder manufacturers recomendations your reloading must be good. When seating bullets I seat them to fit in my mag as A-max bullets are very long, as long as the bullets can't be pushed in the case or pulled out of the case seating the bullet is down to personal preference.

I would look at the sight or mounts or even check the stock screws for tightness if accuracy is that bad.

But if you get good groups with 55grain bullets , "I'm not sure whats next".

Reloading is not a black art its just finding whats best for your gun.

You are correct 1:9, 1:8 and 1:7 twists are for stabilising heavy bullets and 1:12 for light bullets.

Must say I use anything in my Tikka and it shoots great with all weight's of bullet up to 200,250 yds. Greater distance I always use 75g A-max.

I realy don't dont have an answer for you :icon_redface: but as said I have never had an issue with any bullet I've put through my Tikka.

[

longer heavier bullets require afaster twist rate youve got it the wrong way round mate

Maybe it's me :icon_redface: but I thought that if you have a barrel that has one complete twist in 7" 8" or 9" and a barrel with one complete twist in 12" the bullet spins faster comming from the 1:7", 8" or 9" twist barrel as there is more complete twists of the rifling in the barrel.

I could be wrong :cry:

Hi. Please can someone advise me on the following - I know you guys can work magic ;)

I have a Remington VTR .223 with a 9T barrel, and it shoots great groups with 55grain bullets. However, I know the 9T's should be able to stabilize and shoot up to 73 grain heads.

I have tried several batches of 69g Sierra matchking with 25.5 grains BLC2, but the accuracy is terrible! They are all over the place but give a consistent velocity of ~2750 fps.

I have measured the seating depth for these specific bullets for my chamber and I am seating to 2.310'', just back off the lands of 2.315''.

Having done this though I don't know what to try next!! I don't think I can get closer on the bullet seating. Should I be trying to get them faster so they stabilise?

Any advice greatly welcomed!!

cheers,

Shaun.

try some 69 grain bergers mate. whats the grouping you getting from them now ? have you tryed upping the powder abit at a time.

Maybe it's me :icon_redface: but I thought that if you have a barrel that has one complete twist in 7" 8" or 9" and a barrel with one complete twist in 12" the bullet spins faster comming from the 1:7", 8" or 9" twist barrel as there is more complete twists of the rifling in the barrel.

I could be wrong :cry:

Spot on mate.

Rick.

did you try any other weights of powder, change the C.O.L. try the recommended col in the reloading books first. changing powder weights first is a must to see which weight gives best accuracy, then adjust the col. how is bullet concentricity once reloaded. are you using good seating dies.

All play major parts in the accuracy process................ ;)

Hey guys - thanks all for the responses!

What I am going to do having read through them all is drop the COL back to recommended for this bullet and increase the powder charge towards the max to find the best sort of groups, if any.

Then I will increase the COL based on the best group/charge and see if it then improves.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks all,

Shaun.

:clapper:

Edited by Shauny

What I am going to do having read through them all is drop the COL back to recommended for this bullet and increase the powder charge towards the max to find the best sort of groups, if any.

Then I will increase the COL based on the best group/charge and see if it then improves.

Thanks all,

Shaun.

the oal has alot to do with it. my friend had groups about 1 and 1/2 inchs at 100 yards. he then seated the bullet deeper and the group size went right down to 1/2 at 150 yards he has got now !

Jamie.

When you say he seated them deeper, do you mean deeper into the cartridge or deeper into the rifle barrel towards the lands?

Also while I am here, does anyone have a Sierra reloading manual to hand - what does it recommend the seating depth for the 69g Sierra Matchking to be??

Many thanks,

Shaun.

Thanks all,

Shaun.

the oal has alot to do with it. my friend had groups about 1 and 1/2 inchs at 100 yards. he then seated the bullet deeper and the group size went right down to 1/2 at 150 yards he has got now !

Just as an add on to Jamie's comments, my rifle albeit a 22.250 has the bullet seated 137 thou back from the lands and will easily group 1.5 inches at 300 yards. I believe we can all get a little carried with trying to seat the bullet head right up to the lands

Thanks all,

Shaun.

Just as an add on to Jamie's comments, my rifle albeit a 22.250 has the bullet seated 137 thou back from the lands and will easily group 1.5 inches at 300 yards. I believe we can all get a little carried with trying to seat the bullet head right up to the lands

yes mate it good to have it sitting back off the lands abit your be surprized how much the groups will tighten when back more.

i was told to get a hand press that way if you make some rounds up see how they shoot in the field. and if there pretty big groups use the hand press and sit them deeper and you watch the groups shrink ;)

i would be happy with 1.5 inch from my 22/250 at 300 yards. and hopefully soon i will find out. just having some things for the rifle at the moment then once thats done i will get out and fire some rounds at different ranges.

dice horn what ammo you using in your 22/250 ? and what powder if your reloading