My dogs(2 lurchers, 2 terriers) managed to get into my wifes large tub of cocentrated garlic powder for horses today. It was an almost full 3kg tub and they ate the lot :icon_eek:

No sign of any problems yet :sick: but i was wondering if anyone knew if there might be and wether its worth calling the vet

My main cocern is that with all that garlic in them they might turn into frenchman :11: :haha:

they could possibly get a nasty dose of the scours

i belive like onion it is not real good for em, but powder i dont know

there was a really good post on here a while back about veges u can and cant feed, mentioned garlic and onion

Guest reload

Dont worry Garlic will just scour the dog ;) Big shits more that likely.

Garlic is safe, dont believe that mis informed stuff that keeps flying about on these forums.

It would not be sold a Licensed veterinary Medicine with NO contra indications if there was any risk to you dogs!

To be honest the powder is generally of very low quality and basically the cheapest way to by garlic, it should not cause to many problems anyway apart from maybe some shits and a few honks.

If in doubt, or the look really crook get them down the vets

Regards reload

onions and garlic Contain sulfoxides and disulfides .... which can cause damage red blood cells and cause anemia .... however this is over a sustained period and large doses are needed .... onions are worse than garlic for this ... as reload says garlic powder is low grade and your dogs should be fine .... if you are really worried have a look at their gums if they are looking a bit pale then feed Beef liver .... it is full of iron, protein, B complex, and B12 .... this should bring the red blood cell count back up .............

• 2 months later...
onions and garlic Contain sulfoxides and disulfides .... which can cause damage red blood cells and cause anemia .... however this is over a sustained period and large doses are needed .... onions are worse than garlic for this ... as reload says garlic powder is low grade and your dogs should be fine .... if you are really worried have a look at their gums if they are looking a bit pale then feed Beef liver .... it is full of iron, protein, B complex, and B12 .... this should bring the red blood cell count back up .............

i agree with your post but iron tablets,areometimes more convenient than liver as you will know cooked liver can bind a dog and raw the opposite