world record

Guest jbswildlife

is there a world record for longnetting and if not could we have a go for charity and promote or business and the hunting life forum

I don't think there is a world record for long netting however my gandfarther was a keeper in Dorset, he spent some time in the 1950's on a sheep farm in Australia where he put his long netting skills to work on the sheep station where he worked, before he died I remember he told me he and a sheep hand had caught over 500 rabitts in one night using a Heeler (cattle dog) to heard the rabbitts into the nets. He was prone to telling the odd ripping yarn but certainly knew his stuff, he went on from there to trap beavers and Coyote's in Canada for the Hudson bay Company.

I dont do nettin i prefer my dogs but sounds like it could be good. i think it would have to be catah and release cos no matter if its to raise money for good causes the anti's would have a field day.

I think you have hit the nail on the head .Don't think any true hunter would want to be involved. Catch and release would be just as bad -Probably be mass prosecutions under the 1996 protection of Wild animals Act which forbids the doing of " things "to wild animals unless it is an unavoidable part of genuine pest-control.Yes, the antis and their legal advisers would be in heaven and the Courts full of test-caes.

I suppose though,a sponsered long-net "knit-in" would be harmless enough.Imagine hundreds of people over the country being sponsered by the foot ,each running up a few yards of net and then sending it somewhere to be joined together and measured. It would probably look bl**dy awfull but I'm sure someone would buy it if it was auctioned off at the end . Even better it could be sent out to oppressed Kalahari Bushmen so they could use it for catching little antelopes. :whistling: .If the antis got too clever we'd just claim we were going for the "longest volley-ball net" record :whistling:

I saw that footage,catching mouse-deer or duiker :laugh:

Apparently a few of the Long-net purists are after the Bushmen's blood now. Took all the mystery out of it and made it look too easy. .....Not only that,..rumour has it they were using the wrong sort of end pins!