Got to see the funny side

Hi all, just had these through from one of our outfitters, Burger Oelofsen from Etosha View in Namibia.

Burger has always kept ostriches and loved them, right up until they did this to him this week!

@008%20reen%20fotos%20ens%20074.jpg

@008%20reen%20fotos%20ens%20075.jpg

This is where they live - Etosha View is right on the edge of the Etosha Pan - stunning savannah grassland and great for plains game!

etosha-view-ostriches.jpg

I'm just glad we don't get 6ft pheasant and pigeon over here, still, you've got to laugh!

Cheers

Roo

Naw, I've been there and these are evil things, really unpredictable. Trouble is, Burger thinks of them as pets, like budgies I guess, except they don't seem to know that!

Actually, to be fair, it's only one of them that did this, but he said it was so quick and unexpected that it had done for him and knocked hm out before he knew anything about it. I've never shot one, always fancied shooting a Kuri Bustard, but never one of these. Now I do though, and while I'm sure this is only a terrible rumour, apparently some of the local farmers go after these at night with pick-up trucks and shotguns - that way, you have to have a head-shot and the body can all be used for handbags and luggage - American's pay a fortune for it!

Anyway, I'm removing Bustards (although I'm told they are delicious) and I'll gladly replace them on my wanted list with these buggers!

There is a joke about a desperate chap and an ostrich, I'mm have a think and see if I can remember it!

Cheers

A man walks up to the bar, with a big ostrich behind him, and as he stops at the bar, a small cat jumps up onto the bar stool next to him. The barman comes over, regards the three rather curiously,

and asks "What'll it be", to which the man replies "Well, I'll have a pint"

and, turning to the ostrich "what do you want?"

"I'll have a pint as well" replies the ostrich.

The man looks down at the cat and says "I suppose you want a drink too?",

to which the cat replies, "I'll have a half, but I ain't f****n' paying!".

The barman pulls two and a half pints and says "That'll be three pounds forty please". To the barman's surprise the man puts his hand in his pocket, feels around, and pulls out exactly £3.40 in loose hange, which he puts on the bar. A while later the same thing happens. The man, the ostrich and the small cat come back to the bar.

"I'll have pint" says the man,

"I'll have a pint says the ostrich",

"and I'll have a half, but I ain't f****n paying" says the cat.

"That'll be three pounds forty" says the barman, and again the man puts his hand in his pocket, feels around and pulls out exactly £3.40. This goes on several times, much to the bemusement of the barman.Finally, as last orders are rung, the man the ostrich and the cat come back to the bar.

"Well" says the man "its last orders, I think I'll have a large scotch", and turning to the ostrich "what do you want?"

"I'll have a large scotch as well" replies the ostrich. Turning to the small cat on the stool next to him,

the man says "and I suppose you want something as well?"

"I'll have a small scotch says the cat, but I ain't f****n' payin'". The barman rings up the drinks in the till, and says to the man, with a sly grin on his face, "that'll be seven pounds twenty please" To his amazement and disbelief the man puts his hand in his pocket, feels about and pulls out exactly £7.20 in loose change. As the three finish their drinks and are about to leave, the barman cannot contain his curiosity no longer.

"Excuse me sir, but before you leave there is something I must know.....how do you always manage to come up with the exact change from your pocket, every time?"

"Well" says the man, "its a long story, but basically several years ago I looked after an old lady who was well into her nineties, and when she died she left me her old house, nothing special, but when I was clearing out the attic I found an old lamp, and when I rubbed the lamp a genie appeared and offered me two wishes."

"Well that's fantastic" says the barman, "what did you wish for?".

"Well," says the man, "if I ever need to pay for anything I just put my hand in my pocket, and the right money will always be there".

"That's brilliant" says the barman, "most people would just ask for a million pounds or something, but you will always be as rich as you want for as long as you want".

"Oh yes" says the man, "its the greatest thing I ever did. If I want to buy a pint of milk the money will always be there. If I want to buy a Rolls Royce the exact money will be there too!".

As the man turns to go, the barman calls him back and says "one last thing sir, your friends ... we don't get many cats or ostriches drinking in here"

to which the man looks glum and replies "well, that was probably the worst thing I ever did ... you see I had two wishes, and on my second wish I asked for a bird with long legs and a tight pussy".

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry for the delay in posting more - been away in South Africa for a bit - as you do!

Anyway, I showed this thread to oom Burger Oelofsen while I was out in Namibia and he was a bit concerned that people would think him a pansey- testosterone and all that, and he's a really nice bloke so I said I'd post this up so you get a better feel for the chap!

burger.jpg

This is Burger Oelofsen (right) together with a huge problem lion that he tracked with the happy hunter shown to the left - quite a chap huh, and the lion's pretty impressive too!

Anyway, Burger's fine now and has healed totally, but I still didn't get to shoot the damned Ostrich - back again in Feb so maybe then!

Cheers folks

Roo

The Hunting Agency