hand rearing puppies

we have a bitch that had pups last week, she has been very unwell since she had them and the vet thinks she could have parvo. the pups are 1 week old and we have taken them off the mother and put them onto another bitch that has just finished rearing a litter herself. the 2nd bitch has taken the pups in and will allow them to suckle but she is not as interested in them as she was in her own pups and they are not thriving like the first litter did.i was wondering if any of you experianced breeders out there could tell me if there is a milk formula for pups that we could give to them as to supplement their feeding?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blackntan
we have a bitch that had pups last week, she has been very unwell since she had them and the vet thinks she could have parvo. the pups are 1 week old and we have taken them off the mother and put them onto another bitch that has just finished rearing a litter herself. the 2nd bitch has taken the pups in and will allow them to suckle but she is not as interested in them as she was in her own pups and they are not thriving like the first litter did.i was wondering if any of you experianced breeders out there could tell me if there is a milk formula for pups that we could give to them as to supplement their feeding?
bad luck mate, go to a agiculture suppler and get calf/lamb milk suppliment it will have doses etc on it , not cheap but will get them thru to lapping, i would be more worried over the bitch re parvo and passing it on , good luck

Hi Dev

I'm so sorry about your bitch - I hope she recovers.

I've assisted a bitch that had 15 pups and also helped with other large litters and I'd really recommend staying with bitch's replacement milk up until the pups are at least 3 weeks, then maybe slowly switch to lamb's milk. Welpi and Lactol are fairly easy to get hold of, your vet or local pet store will probably hold small packs of these. This is a very expensive way to buy it though, but at least it'll start you off. If you Google, you'll find lots of suppliers of puppy milk that's mail order to you. I've used Royal Canin puppy milk and it was good, easy to mix too, which helps! Not sure if I'm allowed to put up a site that sells it, so I'll pm you.

Good luck :)

lactol is the one ,easy to get hold of too,wouldnt bother giving them anything else ,but i would get some asap cos it dosnt take them long to deteriate ,how longs the bitch been sick dev , i wouldnt be happy with the vet thinks , because it could be a number of things , if she ,s been ill over a week ,i dont think it would be parvo as my misses had a dog years ago that died of parvo ,i,d say 4 days from the dog showing symtoms and it was dead very qiuck killer parvo .

Guest smashygadge
cheers mate, its just the vet never mentioned it to us , i'll ask him tonight then does he sell it, thanks

vets do sell it mate its not too pricey and good stuff ive reared some strong dogs on it

just abit harder rearing them by hand .the other bitch will work but will be lacking in goodness now.

i think it was tango on the forum too he just reared 12 on it :thumbs: best off luck

hi mate sorry to hear the bad news, i have pups they are four weeks old now my bitch had to have a cesaerian and when they were born i had to hand feed them for two days every two hours the vet give me a powdered milk formula called welpi its for new born pups and supposed to be the next best thing to the mothers milk the only thing is its quite expensive for the amount you get so i would go along with other peoples decisions on the lactol this i consider to be just as good and cheaper ,i bought a 1kg tin the other day for £9.99 this is your best bet and can be bought from big pet stores or agricultaral food supplies, hope everything goes well for you mate.

very young puppies exposed to parvo can last for weeks and then suddenly die as parvo can effect their hearts older puppies as in 6 weeks upwards will get it in the usual way where they go off food get depressed start vomiting and pass foul smelling blood stained diaphoria (sp), its probably best you leave them with the second bitch and try to help with some lactol feeds to ease the burden after all she will be fed up and may not have a great supply of milk, try taking her away from the pups and just put her back to feed and clean them it may make her maternal side come through, goodluck