GREAT START TO THE SEASON

THE alarm went off at 3.30 am, i sat up and had a good stretch and fart and got dressed then went down and put the kettle on to make a cuppa and a flask for later ,i sat down at the table to drink my tea when there was sounds of foot steps coming down the stairs ,i looked round and it was my youngest daughter dani, she came over and put her arms round me for a hug then she gave me a kiss and said good luck daddy i hope you do well and off she went back to bed .

so with my daughter wishing me luck i got ready and headed out the door on the way past picking up my gun ,i headed straight over to the dog runs shouted out murphy my fowling dog he shot out the kennel and sat at the gate tail wagging ,i opened up and said come on son lets get off ,i loaded up the van with murphy ,gun and my kit and off we went .

on arriving at the marsh gates i could see some other cars and vans parked up, as i pulled up the car doors started to open and everyone getting out to put there kit on and to have a good old bit of banter we got kitted up and stood for about 20 mins talking and laughing taking the pi** out of each other. then we went our different ways across the marsh to where we wanted to be. when i arrived at the creek where i was going to be shooting, there was duck already in the creek and lifted when i stood at the side of it, the dog heard them and was off i said no and he came beck to heal .

i got set up with two sets of long lines in the creek bottom where there was enough water to float decoys,i got sat down in the long grass at the side of the creek with murphy sat to my right of me, so he could see what was coming up the creek towards us , i got my gun loaded up and got the flask out and poured myself cuppa and sat waiting for it to break light .

it started to break light and i could see the tide had started to push up the creek, so i knew stuff would soon be on the move, so i poured myself another cuppa and with that there was a rattle of fast wing beats my cup of tea went flying, i grabbed my gun and my eyes was like two marbles sticking out my eye sockets, just looking around to see what they were "TEAL" too late ,they had gone out of range ,i settled back down hoping there would be more, then i thought where is my flask cup ,i had a feel around in the half light putting my hands in mud still could not find it .

so i sat back down and waited for the flight to start it was not long before it did ,i saw two small silhouettes of ducks coming fast up the creek towards me they came into range, i was up and took a right and left "tuffted ducks", murphy was out and gone straight back with one then gone again for the other and back again, just as i took the last duck off him, i heard wing beats looked up and there was two "mallard" paddles down coming in to the decoys, i shouted "hey" then they flared up into the wind,i shot, missed with my first shot and took one with my second missed with third .

murphy was out and gone again and back with the "mallard", by this time there were shots ringing out all over the marsh so there was plenty of duck on the move , i got sat back down and could see some ducks moving up and down the river in the half light but they were not coming my way, i got tucked back IN and waited, within 5 minutes then 3 mallard came up the creek and saw the decoys and was straight in, i jumped up and they flared up again but this time i took a 3 out of 3 yes i thought to myself yes, again murphy was out and retrieved all 3 .

we just got sat back down and a single "mallard" came up the creek but he didnt want to come in, he was about 30 yards up heading inland straight over the top of me , i was up wallop he came down and there was a thud in the mud where it fell, again murphy was out and back with it having a shake right next to me and getting me wet . we got tucked in again and waited it was not long again before there was 3 mallard coming up the creek towards us again, they saw the decoys and was straight in paddles down, i was up again they flared, i shot another 3 out 3 ,i thought bloody hell whats up with you to myself again murphy was out and retrieved all 3 again by this time ,i knew i had my bag limit of 10 ducks thats all i was allowed to shoot .

knowing that i had got my bag limit, i fetched my decoys packed them in my ruck sack and sat back down and watched the rest of the flight , also knowing if i walked off now, i would spoil the flight for other fowlers. when the tide got to the top of the creek ,i knew it was time to start making my way back to the bank watching other fowlers collect there stuff up ready to start heading back also ,i got back to the bank and no one else was off the marsh yes so took all my kit off and waited for them to have a chat, one of my mates got back just after me, i had a chat with him giving each other the run down of the flight and what we got then headed home for my breakfast . all in all it has been one of the best flights i have had on the opening day of the season . and it will be one i remember .

i did manage to get some photos with my camera on my phone, i hope you all had some good shooting on your opening morning like myself , i wish you all the best for the season .

044.jpg

049.jpg

052.jpg

054.jpg

WELL DONE WAG A GOOD BAG AND I MUST SAY A ENJOYED THAT READ, ROLL ON THE NEXT FLIGHT :thumbs:

thanks sounder :thumbs: im buzzing mate , i cant wait untill tonight for the next trip out mate ,i did hear some geese mate but did not see them . :no:

WELL DONE WAG A GOOD BAG AND I MUST SAY A ENJOYED THAT READ, ROLL ON THE NEXT FLIGHT :thumbs:

thanks sounder :thumbs: im buzzing mate , i cant wait untill tonight for the next trip out mate ,i did hear some geese mate but did not see them . :no:

TONITE ????feck lucky git but i am going for a even stalk so maybe bag a buck :thumbs:
Great bit a shooting wag.... i bet the missus loved the "i sat up and had a good stretch and fart and got dressed " :D

Lab looks a fine type

Best of luck mate..

Nice write up! I remember "First Day Fowl Fever" Good luck for the rest of the season. Cheers, D.

i have been out again tonight with a mate , we have been on a inland fen drain we shot 33 mallard and 3 tufted duck between us a cracking nights sport .

here is a couple of pics one of my dog pup, who was a little twat tonight but still has alot to learn .

060.jpg

058.jpg

well done a good write up

took a mate out onto a small splash that id be feeding for a few days to see if he could bag his first duck, thought id better leave the main ponds for the boss.. 3 mallard came in he killed with his first two and missed the 3rd, job accomplished i gave him another 5 minutes in which he managed another mallard.. cover still really thick the poor cocker struggled, but found all 3... left the pond well before dark... he was buzzing :victory: