ratting

Guest Born-and-Bread-to-Hunt

Hardness has nothing whatsoever to do with it....its only ratting for gods sake, even a yorkie can do that :blink: Just let a dog be a pup, why are people so eager to get their dogs killing things at the earliest possible moment, they only have a short time to be a pup but the rest of their lives to work. Some dogs dont like to get bitten and what they learn at a young age stays with them, at least with a full set of adult teeth they can deal with it properly.

My last bitch would have killed rats and had a go at killing anything from a very early age (wicked little devil :D ) and her litter sister did from a very young age. But she didnt start till she was 6mth, and i cant say its had an adverse effect on her...lol.

rats22505.jpg

ratstretch121004.jpg

halloween002.jpg

ratting150521.jpg

ratage2.jpg

ratage1.jpg

ratage.jpg

mink1.jpg

MOLL.

Hiya what breed is the all tan dog?? Red Lakeland?? Very nice lukin dog :D

I got the litter sister to Mollys bitch and that thing was slaughtering rats at 12 weeks,...and i do mean SLAUGHTERING..lol.

But as Moll says, hers was a little older before it started...I can remember little Bricca (my bitch) drawing and killing three large adult rats, in about 10 seconds when she was just 14 weeks...I was there, Royston2 from this site, and Hern and HOTWINGS from the old smoochers site...we was all a little gob-smacked to be honest!..lol.

No point in rushing them mate...i would agree, MOST good terriers will kill rats at 3-4 months...but WHY risk it!?...i would start MOST terriers at 6-9 months old...but as soon as a pup had had its jabs it would be out and about and watching the other dogs kill rats!...thats how you get 'em keen as feck!..lol...if a pup has been wound up like that from the age of 12 weeks, to six months it will kill rats VERY well!..

Kye..

PS...you got any pics Molly, of when Bricca was back home!?...

IMO its best to get a youngster out on its own .Older dogs may teach the pup that rat is fair game but may also put the pup off with bad habits like jealousy, barking or eating rats .I like to work the pup at its own pace and hopefully produce an individual and not a shy pup that lets an older dog pinch its kill.

Guest MOLLY
IMO its best to get a youngster out on its own .Older dogs may teach the pup that rat is fair game but may also put the pup off with bad habits like jealousy, barking or eating rats .I like to work the pup at its own pace and hopefully produce an individual and not a shy pup that lets an older dog pinch its kill.

Agree :good: But the opportunities arnt always there, in a perfect world id have liked to take the pup somewhere alone there were dozens of rats so she would learn more to do a quick bite then drop and go for the next one.

Hiya what breed is the all tan dog?? Red Lakeland?? Very nice lukin dog

Thank you very much :D , she is a lakie x fell.

PS...you got any pics Molly, of when Bricca was back home!?..

Def, ill have a look now Kye.

MOLL.

Here you are Kye...

briccarat1.jpg

briccaferrets.jpg

briccapuprat.jpg

MOLL.