ratting

Guest Born-and-Bread-to-Hunt

Guest Born-and-Bread-to-Hunt

Hello fellow hunters im a young keen hunter and normally only have lurchers but just recently got a terrier it's fell terrier x patterdale at what age do u reckon i should start it on RATS ???? Please message back

Sounds like its going to be a good Terrier, Male or Female?

I'd say, around the time they loose thier milk teeth, but saying that, mine are out and about the farm from day1, and I know my latest pup caught one at 13wks.

Regards Rob

let my pup run with the other terriers from 6 months and she just started killin rats.she has just been to ground for the first time at 15 months.she watched older dog then put her in when the other bitch came out.she had alook around a little 2 holer but nothing at home.she is very eager when out in field and up the ditches.she has got abit of a temper though so have to be careful cause she is a small little thing and she mite get a bit carried away.we will see

I'd say that its when you think your pup is ready, all dogs are individuals and mature at different rates and only you will know if you think its capable. Other than that what most ppl have said on here, once they have their adult teeth. I have two pups exactly the same age, that I recently took ratting at just under 5 months old, one is much more mature than the other and took to it like a duck to water. Since then he's had a couple of stoats as well :blink:

Dont forget that they are still only babies. I dont think that pups that rat at an early age is an indication of whether they are hard or not, just that they have matured more quickly. Be patient and dont expect too much too soon.

dcbc9f24.jpg

696eb678.jpg

Hardness has nothing whatsoever to do with it....its only ratting for gods sake, even a yorkie can do that :blink: Just let a dog be a pup, why are people so eager to get their dogs killing things at the earliest possible moment, they only have a short time to be a pup but the rest of their lives to work. Some dogs dont like to get bitten and what they learn at a young age stays with them, at least with a full set of adult teeth they can deal with it properly.

My last bitch would have killed rats and had a go at killing anything from a very early age (wicked little devil :D ) and her litter sister did from a very young age. But she didnt start till she was 6mth, and i cant say its had an adverse effect on her...lol.

rats22505.jpg

ratstretch121004.jpg

halloween002.jpg

ratting150521.jpg

ratage2.jpg

ratage1.jpg

ratage.jpg

mink1.jpg

MOLL.

I'll shut up now :sorry: , I can sence you all take it a little to heart :good:

Regards Rob

Its not that Rob :rolleyes: ...its you have to remember you have young and niave people reading these forums and will take everything someone says as gospel, they dont have any insight. I was that person once and would have probs had my dogs doing all sorts from being able to walk if someone had told me it was correct...ive already ruined one terrier from listening and acting on other peoples advice. If youve only ever had 1 dog you have nothing to compare it with, i wouldnt have known one of my dogs was late to mature and to treat it differently had i not had the other dogs as a guide.

MOLL.

:good: well said moll , we dont want youguns spoilt by other peoples bad habbits , (quote ; let the pup be a pup ) its got a long working life :good:

It's not Bad Habbits numb nuts, it's real life. :good:

Regards Rob

If the start young works for you then do it .As you get older experience has a lot to play in entering a dog to any quarry ,as a youngster then you are guided by the dog.Just dont overmatch a pup of any age.