what vehicle

had a few 4x4s in my time.

teranno,suzuki,110,pajero,hilux surf,sportrak etc but now run a 98 discovery 300tdi,not too bad on juice and get all the kit in.

but as others have said,any 4x4 will do the job IF the tyres are for the job,the first thing i did was throw away the road tyres and boot her up with mud tyres,now she goes over hill and dale.

as said earlier,you have to like to do repairs yourself on landrovers,so far i havehad good luck with mine and only had to put in a door switch,but parts are easy to get both new and second hand,and most are easy to fit.

just my two pennys worth.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richie, did you used to own a vitara? If so, what was it like, fuel/repairs etc? Jimny outside my budget.

Cheers

if tracks are rutted then you must take ground clearance into consideration landy defender good bet

Richie, did you used to own a vitara? If so, what was it like, fuel/repairs etc? Jimny outside my budget.

Cheers

if tracks are rutted then you must take ground clearance into consideration landy defender good bet

hi all, being in the motor trade thought i would add my tenpennys worth,my first choice would be hi lux surf with the cylinder head sorted[got one]or pajero, both imports and not usually prone to rust[not been here long enough!] and have japanese reliability, landy and discos and range rovers have a certain charismatic something that appeals but you need to be an enthusiast to maintain an old one and you need to get them checked out well before buying, landys rot chassises and discos and range rovers rot everywhere else, i have welded dozens. for 2k you should be out to pick up a cleanish jappo diesel which you can get a few years out of .off road tyres are great if you dont use it for daily transport,if you do the road noise will drive you mad, hope this helps.. greasemonkey

Edited by greasemonkey

Cheers

hi all, being in the motor trade thought i would add my tenpennys worth,my first choice would be hi lux surf with the cylinder head sorted[got one]or pajero, both imports and not usually prone to rust[not been here long enough!] and have japanese reliability, landy and discos and range rovers have a certain charismatic something that appeals but you need to be an enthusiast to maintain an old one and you need to get them checked out well before buying, landys rot chassises and discos and range rovers rot everywhere else, i have welded dozens. for 2k you should be out to pick up a cleanish jappo diesel which you can get a few years out of .off road tyres are great if you dont use it for daily transport,if you do the road noise will drive you mad, hope this helps.. greasemonkey

Thank you all very much for your replys, much appreciated :clapper: at the moment i dont know weather to go little or large ie Suzuki jimny. or Daihatsu fourtrack

greasmonkey. being in the trade what do you think of these two choices :icon_redface:

thanks all

the roof can come off the jimny aswell. i've got one with a soft top. is a bit of a hair dressers car but mine doesn't ever go on the road, it has no tax etc just use it to travel across my parents land with the rapid 7 which is going to be replaced with a .22lr and a 12g 2moz morning.

great little car tho, hasn't put a foot/wheel wrong. and never got stuck once and my dads old disco doing the same job did, alot.

Edited by karlp86

I run a 1960 Landy SWB 2 1/4 petrol for my shooting wagon. Big 7.50x16's on it, so it'll go anywhere. Free tax, insurance £78 per year including my mate as a named driver.

It's rebuilt on a galv chassis, has a Turner engine, and so should last ages.

Only downside is 19mpg (err, could be 15... ouch!!)

But as someone else pointed out, it has so much character, and I love it.

I do have to say that a Fourtrak would make better sense though, especially if it was your only car.

Effortless.

Just like to add most of the jap stuff i've seen when put near mud look like pigs having fits(loads of mud flying about but not getting anywhere.)

Jimny goes anywhere almost anything else can. Less ground clearance than some but narrower track so can travel one side in the rut and one side on the centre of the track. Cheers, D.

Cheers

Thank you all very much for your replys, much appreciated :clapper: at the moment i dont know weather to go little or large ie Suzuki jimny. or Daihatsu fourtrack

greasmonkey. being in the trade what do you think of these two choices :icon_redface:

thanks all

daihatsu if you can find a diesel,but jimny,s are a good little tool.
Just like to add most of the jap stuff i've seen when put near mud look like pigs having fits(loads of mud flying about but not getting anywhere.)

Jimny goes anywhere almost anything else can. Less ground clearance than some but narrower track so can travel one side in the rut and one side on the centre of the track. Cheers, D.

all suzuki vitaras sj410 samurai jimney if you put a pro comp lift kit on and 4 inch body lift they will leave a landy in the shite anyday oh yea and a good set of tires

Only thing that puts me off any Land Rover is the rotting chassis problems.

I'm in the motor trade and I can tell you that I've spent many hours repairing Jap Crap chassis, Shoguns are far worse than any Landy.

Rob...........hates welding.