undocked tails

as we know it is now stupidly illegal to dock tails on dogs now. was just wondering how this affected you terrier lads, e.g. does it prevent dog from working in certain areas etc etc? would love to see some pics o your undocked tykes aswell. cheers

i would never grab or pull a dog by the tail . i seen a dog years ago who's owner had tried pulling the dog out of a dig by it's tail. after it had latched on to a fox. he damaged the dog's spine.[ vertebrea] and afterward the dog walked like a constapated ferret. :gunsmilie:

It is most definitely NOT illegal to dock a dogs tail, it must be done by a vet who will issue a certificate for the LEGAL docking.

There must be valid reason for the docking of the dogs tail, the working dogs exemption, and this is based on the welfare of the dog and the possibility of injuries to the dog during its working activities.

And i still think that a terrier with an un-docked tail just doesn't look right, doesn't effect the ability of the dog in any way at all, but just doesn't do it for me.

regards

It is most definitely NOT illegal to dock a dogs tail, it must be done by a vet who will issue a certificate for the LEGAL docking.

There must be valid reason for the docking of the dogs tail, the working dogs exemption, and this is based on the welfare of the dog and the possibility of injuries to the dog during its working activities.

And i still think that a terrier with an un-docked tail just doesn't look right, doesn't effect the ability of the dog in any way at all, but just doesn't do it for me.

regards

well said ginga john, couldnt agree more, mines docked, looks lovely! :whistling: not sure it was a legal dock though, wasnt given any certificate to say it was, i think they just do the tail and dew claws at birth, then the mother cleans them up ??

as we know it is now stupidly illegal to dock tails on dogs now. was just wondering how this affected you terrier lads, e.g. does it prevent dog from working in certain areas etc etc? would love to see some pics o your undocked tykes aswell. cheers

One docked, one undocked... They're pants photos, but you can see a tail. Neither dog is attractive and the one with a tail is only half patterdale, quarter russell and quarter heinz terrier (probably even including some teckle or even yorkie!)

post-18944-1218389325_thumb.jpgpost-18944-1218389353_thumb.jpg

heres mine one docked and pup undocked

2008_0608casper0017.jpg

2008_0716casper0002.jpg

I can't believe anyone would say that pup looks weird, or odd... What's wrong with it? Equally, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the docked one of course. Why not keep tails if they're not going to undertake work that could harm a tail.

And... Here's something I've often wondered...

What is the difference between a border's tail and a patterdale, russell's or lakeland's tail? Are they more robust?.......

regards

Is here mate!

got a dog thats docked, two thats undocked that are 13 this yr,

because didnt know anyone at the time who'd dock em got used to em know though

but prefer to a docked dog it looks neater,

but as the dont bite with their arse it dont and ain't made no difference to them working