Ferrets

hi all i was just wondering is there such thing as a black ferret if here is doe sany have any pictures of them cheers Sniper

I have never seen a black ferret but i supose there could be some out there somewhere :laugh:

actually black ferrets are very modern by now in the "pet-world". They have quite a few in germany and also some in denmark where I'm from. We have a couple of 'black reeders' in denmark, I'm not sure if it's ok for me to link here but if interested then ask me and I'll send a link in private. All black ferrets can be traced back to the same man...

Pernonally I'm all for health and not that much for breeding certain colours.

But I've seen a couple of true black ferrets (and still prefere sable)

used to have one mate

have you got any pciks mate

actually black ferrets are very modern by now in the "pet-world". They have quite a few in germany and also some in denmark where I'm from. We have a couple of 'black reeders' in denmark, I'm not sure if it's ok for me to link here but if interested then ask me and I'll send a link in private. All black ferrets can be traced back to the same man...

Pernonally I'm all for health and not that much for breeding certain colours.

But I've seen a couple of true black ferrets (and still prefere sable)

ive never seen one , have you any pictures ,, Cheers Sniper

20070917julia016kz7.jpg

This is a picture I took of my friends 8 weeks old black ferret.

She has grown up today and looks like this.

Copywright Ann Hillerslev

20080709013mg6.jpg

and it is a ferret.

As Flying Ferrets aka Anne says they are becoming more and more common in Europe, espicially Germany, Austria, but are also seen now in DK, Norway, Finland, Sweden and so on. Because people travel to Germany/Austria to get them.

They are traced to one man, Peter Herzoghof, and some think the color origins from hybrids between wild european mink and ferrets.

Very nice looking ferret but no for me i like lighter coloured ones i can see moving about on top ,i fear i would lose that one first time i had it out

yeah me too, prefer white coloured, problem i have is you cant tell who is doing what... so im looking for a light colour but not albino, gonna try get one of them sandy types if they are available here in australia, otherwise go for a black eyed white or a silver as then i can identify who's who

as for black, if you were to breed it you would have to breed poley to poley until you darkened them up, but the poleys would have to come from poley bloodlines, eg make the poley gene very strong

thats how ti was sort of explained to me for getting lighter ferrets, keep breeding to albinos that have been albinos for generations