blue merle

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wouldnt you buy a dog from Hancocks? :hmm:

Reason is simple mate,he's a puppy farmer.The man clearly has a great understanding of collie crosse's and has over the years produced some fine dogs,but his methods now leave a bad taste in my mouth.If a dog is earning its keep in whatever way,it should be well cared for and rewarded,not kept caged up as a "rent a womb".I have no problem with David Hancock earning a living from his knowledge of dogs,but i'm sure it could be done differently.As i always say,it's just my opinion and what the f*ck do i know?

My old man kept bred and worked collie x greys for nearly 50 years,as far as my old man was concerned they were the most reliable cross as an all rounder,and he reckoned a lower failiure rate than most.

All I can say is thank god that the likes of Buck ,brae sorrel and any other of the previous generation who srived for the best did not have the same way of thinking as you undisputed or the modern working dog would be in a sorry state

Edited by gavmac

First of all only a fool who'd read to many Plummer tomes would buy a Hancock Collie cross for foxing or absolutely anything hunting related. As for training ANY dog to kill/dislike foxes that is utter bollox ! :wallbash:

If you want to smash foxes either buy a pup from a line that has a few generations of fox killers in it or opt for a bull cross of some kind. Again from decent breeding if possible because despite what people think, owning a bull cross doesn't guarantee you'll be killing every fox you see !

The reason for this is that there are bucket loads of shite bull crosses being bred from crap unproven dogs just as our friend Mr Hancock is doing with his shitty collie curs and poor worn out brood greyhounds !!! :no:

as i said earlier there is a lot of lurcher strains that have collie running through it and if folks were honest it would be hancock breeding because it is so ready available.

Guest oldskool

undisputed

Yeah it has hasn't it...lol...Look I am in no way suggesting I know it all cause I dont my opinions are based on my experience with my dogs. I have found my way to bring on my dogs and its up to others to find theirs. All I am doing is offering an opinion and debating an issue about how dogs learn to hunt. I stand by what I said dogs and foxes are not natural enemys and this has to be instilled in them. If I can offer a view on the dog you mentioned. You never said whether or not you ran him single or doubled up with an experienced dog...and to be badly bitten on his first fox was unfortunate and would have been a massive dent to his confidence. Many people believe that you shouldn't run a dog on a fox till its at least two year old there maybe some validity in this statement but I know of people who have let them go much younger. Maybe you should have aimed a little lower with the dog to get his confidence up by running him on young foxes even cubs at least that way he learns were the sharp end is gradually and it shouldnt come as such a shock to the system when he gets bitten. I dont know if I would have been able to make a better job than you did I dont know your dog my approach might have been different but as I said I dont know what the circumstances were in relation to the night you mention. One other thing I will add if none of the aforementioned litter (what mix are they) take fox the owners are exactly the ones I would be blaming not the dogs.

i've really enjoyed the topic and looked forward to every informative reply, i dont think there is any more we can discuss... i certainly respect your views although i lean towards my own... oh, and the litter i bred was from a bull x whippet/grey bitch back to an ex-track dog... the one i kept was killed out lamping round xmas time and i got a litter brother back for a while but i just didnt click with the dog mainly because he was partially already trained and for me that's 90% of the fun so i passed him on to a wee fella startin out... i wouldnt mind havin a crack at a hancock pup in the future but i'll have my hands full with a litter i'm planning on breeding in the next year or so...

Yes doga and they're all the weaker for it !

bold statment brummy,i wouldnt of said that mate,one of the best lamping bitches ive seen was bred from a first cross hancock bitch to a saluki grey collie grey good in all ways no rubbish. :good:

All I can say is thank god that the likes of Buck ,brae sorrel and any other of the previous generation who srived for the best did not have the same way of thinking as you undisputed or the modern working dog would be in a sorry state

Or in an even worse state if left to you your blowing out yer arse man....totally clueless! but I :notworthy: to obvious superior knowledge

undisputed

i've really enjoyed the topic and looked forward to every informative reply, i dont think there is any more we can discuss... i certainly respect your views although i lean towards my own... oh, and the litter i bred was from a bull x whippet/grey bitch back to an ex-track dog... the one i kept was killed out lamping round xmas time and i got a litter brother back for a while but i just didnt click with the dog mainly because he was partially already trained and for me that's 90% of the fun so i passed him on to a wee fella startin out... i wouldnt mind havin a crack at a hancock pup in the future but i'll have my hands full with a litter i'm planning on breeding in the next year or so...

At least you prepared to fight your corner based on your own experiences and not just make sweeping statements without any real thought to what your saying...ATB for the future :clapper:

I know doga I suppose it is a bold statement.

However let's cut to the knub of the matter here. If like the dirty old farmer (Hancock) you breed enough pups out of crap non working collies and worn out brood bitches (f*****g disgraceful) eventually you'll turn out the odd decent worker !

But like you say the dog you saw only had a small part of it's make being that of Hancock blood !

I live not half a mile from Hancock and know quite a few people who are family friends of his and they all look at you like you're mad when you ask if he owns any working dogs !

How can you sell lurcher pups to hunting folk out of non workers with a straight face?

MONEY and no standards.......... that's how !

:icon_eek:

First of all only a fool who'd read to many Plummer tomes would buy a Hancock Collie cross for foxing or absolutely anything hunting related. As for training ANY dog to kill/dislike foxes that is utter bollox ! :wallbash:

If you want to smash foxes either buy a pup from a line that has a few generations of fox killers in it or opt for a bull cross of some kind. Again from decent breeding if possible because despite what people think, owning a bull cross doesn't guarantee you'll be killing every fox you see !

The reason for this is that there are bucket loads of shite bull crosses being bred from crap unproven dogs just as our friend Mr Hancock is doing with his shitty collie curs and poor worn out brood greyhounds !!! :no:

:nono::doh::doh: Not a bold statement at all just rubbish!