Dirty ears?

I clean my ferrets ears when necessary carefully with cotton buds.

If your ferret has earmites you can use olive oil when you clean the ears, it will prewent the mites from breathing but it will not kill the eggs so it has to be done more times.

if you want to make sure to kill them you can use a little frontline (in the neck and rub it aoround the ears) or you can use stroghold but here in denmark you have to go though a vet to get that as you would need a prescription.

You can also use fucidin but I don't really find that more effective than olive oil.

i use ivermectic for ear mites 1 drop behind each ear.

Beaphar do a spot on version of ivermectin for ferrets that you can buy in pet shops.

Last time the vet gave me ivermectin for the ferrets it was another brand, Xeno (I think), and it cost more than twice the price :blink:

Guest jojoamojo

i am sure that frontline does not kill ear mites, you will preferably need something with ivermectin in if it has them to kill the buggars dead, as funfuret says xeno is avaliable

the best way to check is to gather some of the wax on a cotton bud (carefully) and look at it with a magnifying glass, you will see while moggies crawling all over it if your ferret has ear mites

a vets will cost a bloody lot for ivermectin though, please be careful with pet shop remedies, especially the bob martin crap

When I clean my ferts ears I also use cotton buds like Flying Ferrets does. The ferrets ears are L-shaped, so you cant hurt the inside. But never the less, you should always be carefull..! *remenber kids - don't do this at home* :haha:

Frontline does kill earmites - has done with mine, the few times my ferts had the "honor" of hosting the little buggers. :gunsmilie: