I've just found a couple of old CB Radios in the garage and would like to get one up and running.

The one in the photo is larger than the other one & the other one doesn't have a thingyjig (The bit you talk into)

So It'll probably be the larger one I get up and running :)

Obviously it needs an aerial. What sort and how expensive are they?

It would also need a power supply, the other one says 13.2 volts but the one I intend to use doesn't say.

And of course It would need a speaker linked up to it.

I can see where the Aerial and Power goes but theres two more holes?

Both of them are labeled speaker but the left one is also labeled EXT and the other PA?

Could anybody here help me out?

DSCF1448.jpg

Butch

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ext = external speaker ( for adding additional speaker)

pa = public address ( when speaking into the mic, when the pa switch is selected, it makes it into a loud hailer!!)

most cb's also have a built in speaker.....so no need for an external one!!

sorry not up to date on aerials.

cheers

sean

Guest Ditch_Shitter

The Mhz bit means nothing to me, mate. I was a 'Naughty Network' / AM CB'er, not a Radio Ham. A decent look at the front of the rig may tell me though. I'd want to see how many channels it has and if it offers the choice of going FM. But that'd only be the case anyway if it were a better than bog standard AM rig. " Rig ". Christ, I can hardly believe I'm remembering that far back now! I'll be reminiscing about old Handles and voices next. My old '20 was " Rome " and I used to hit " The Ash Tray " with " +9's " or what ever the hell it was :D

Anyway, my advice is just run it into the nearest Radio Shack and ask them about it. That'd be the easiest and by far cheapest way. That little rig; Not a JAWS is it? They were dinky, but bloody good rigs.

IF ye want to try setting it up? Get a twig (arial). Anything much should do. I forget what the standard one was called. " DV 40 "? Something like that. Flash f*ckers displayed the nice " Fire Stick " ones. Seriously flash b*stards had a transmission light on the top of their Fire Sticks! Looked dead cool as they cruised the main drag. Everyone in the know could see they were talking on their CB :laugh:

Get a twig and ye'll need an SWR Meter to get it fine tuned enough that it'll work properly. Radio Ham mate of mine set up my first rig for me. It too was a Midland. Forty channels. Only he set the SWR using a 'Dummy Load'. However .....

I'm really just talking for the pleasure of the memory, mate. If it's an AM rig, it's Illegal and probably useless. I doubt there's enough people still messing around with those for ye to get a Break. And, because of that, any forlorn signal ye ever put out is likely to be picked up by the govt. before a passing Breaker.

If it's FM? Ye need a license. Tenner, from the Post Office, last I ever heard. But FM was shit before it ever got off the ground. Only forty channels and there was nothing but kids on it and people putting a rubber band over their mike key and leaving it next to a radio. I only ever saw a couple of people 'Get Out' on one. And they got kids.

There was another, newer, legal and, reportedly bloody good thing that came out about twenty five years ago. Different frequency altogether and peopled only by grown men who found they were always able to pick up on a decent conversation and at relatively huge distances. God knows what that was all about. Life took a turn for me then and I just plain forgot about it all.

Anyway; Radio Shack :yes:

Oh; Edited to say: Power Pack / Transformer. Or, in a pinch; Car battery run off a Charger.

that screw thread on the back is where the arial attaches, you either have to buy a pre swarred arial or get yourself a swr meter to put inbetween the arial and base unit, airials have to be the correct length to work, or you could blow the rig (base unit) the swr meter allows you to fine tune the airial

you can hook it up to a normal 12 volt car battery, or simple run it of a car battery charger, dont worry bout the 13.2v, trust me, was a very big "rubber duck" in my younger days (butch scratches his head saying, who's rubber duck :laugh: )

if you get a dv40, this were made as a car airial, get yourself an old metal dustbin lid, punch a hole near the handle and fix to that, the bigger the base plate(lid) the better reception/distance your get

then google "convoy" watch and learn the lingo, :clapper:

:laugh: :laugh:

Got a couple of Car battery chargers here, they should do the job :D

All I really need now Is an aerial. Did somebody say the saw a load at the car boots?

I haven't been to one in years and am probably not likely to go anytime soon, could ye be so kind if you see one to get it for me?

Then I could pay you back :)

Roughly how much are they?

How many channels, no idea mate. doesn't say on the front either but heres a pic anyway

DSCF1455.jpg

Butch

Edited by Little Butch

one nine a rig check!

you might get one at a car boot if your lucky,going to a car boot though is like going dogging.. your still getting f****d over by a stranger in a field!

try ebay, theres a section for radio equipment in consumer electronics

that screw thread on the back is where the arial attaches, you either have to buy a pre swarred arial or get yourself a swr meter to put inbetween the arial and base unit, airials have to be the correct length to work, or you could blow the rig (base unit) the swr meter allows you to fine tune the airial

you can hook it up to a normal 12 volt car battery, or simple run it of a car battery charger, dont worry bout the 13.2v, trust me, was a very big "rubber duck" in my younger days (butch scratches his head saying, who's rubber duck :laugh: )

if you get a dv40, this were made as a car airial, get yourself an old metal dustbin lid, punch a hole near the handle and fix to that, the bigger the base plate(lid) the better reception/distance your get

then google "convoy" watch and learn the lingo, :clapper:

Loved that film when I was a kid, that's a big 10/4! :laugh:

CW Mcall- Convoy