The British Deer Society

Does anyone know anything about this organisation, I have sent them 2 emails in the past 6 weeks or so regarding postage to Aust. of some of their books and received NO answer, the books are available on Amazon, but the society say they are a charitable organisation looking after the future of deer in Britain so would have prefered to buy the books of them, if they don't even have the decency to return emails I don't think I would bother buying anything from them, pisses me off as I put a few other blokes from Aust. onto them also, maybe they put postage out here in the 2 hard basket :thumbdown: , the last book I ordered from the UK was here within 5 days and that included a weekend, so don't see the issue.

Is anyone a member that can shed some light perhaps, I would still buy off them if they can be vouched for as from what I have read on their site they do have the wild deer at heart and seem to be looking after sportsmen and women.

Cheers

I don't think they have a very big sales / admin team mate. I rang them the other day and they were sweet as pie and very helpful. Its holiday season and all that so maybe someone forgot to set up an email divert or sommit?

I belong to the Brit Deer Soc. They are indeed a charity that promotes the welfare of our 5 species of deer.

I took issue last year with them over their seemingly intransigence over the plight of deer on Exmoor with regard to poaching on a large scale. This matter I raised at a local branch meeting and all my correspondence to their head office went unanswered leaving me with the opinion that the organization existed to raise money to finance the pay of the directors and the original purpose of deer welfare had been lost

To be fair to them they have since made an attempt to highlight poaching in their quarterly magazine, but they don't seem to want to communicate with individual members

Peter

The BDS is a money making machine. End of. They care little about the individual and , indeed, this is something of an old boys network. I will never join such a "charity".

At the GYS only last week i was chatting to their "experts" , like you do, about the spread of muntjac. It seemed that all three of the chaps in that stall could do with a refresher course on deer!!!

One chap told me that muntys have "a litter" every couple of months , but i said that this was physically impossible because their gestation period of seven months!!!

The next chap, when asked by his unsure friend, said he thought it was three or four months, whilst the third and final chap had no idea.

I knew that this period was seven months and the young are born very well developed. This is why the muntjac are so successful, and thats because their young are "on the hoof" from day one.

So those three guys were there to "educate" we masses on deer and all three had little idea about our commonest deer.

HHMmmm....not an isolated case i am afraid.......

I would urge people to avoid fuelling this "old boys network" .

You DO NOT need to go on its courses to get an FAC, there is no legal requirement, despite the BDS pushiong for such.

Im afraid i cannot believe the BDS want to promote the culling and safety of stalking with the BDS, instead i see it as just another form of revenue for them and yet another step up the "control" ladder.

Apart from that.....yeah, its great!!! lol.JD

I belong to the Brit Deer Soc. They are indeed a charity that promotes the welfare of our 5 species of deer.

I took issue last year with them over their seemingly intransigence over the plight of deer on Exmoor with regard to poaching on a large scale. This matter I raised at a local branch meeting and all my correspondence to their head office went unanswered leaving me with the opinion that the organization existed to raise money to finance the pay of the directors and the original purpose of deer welfare had been lost

To be fair to them they have since made an attempt to highlight poaching in their quarterly magazine, but they don't seem to want to communicate with individual members

Peter

Dicehorn

Help me out with these 5 Deer species, I'm confused as we have at least 6 in the wild! There are suggestions of other small populations of escapees as well ......

So which 5 do the BDS promote the welfare of???

Cheers lads, I did recieve an email off them, the day after I posted this thread..........., they sound much the same as our own deer org over here. Deker, please don't go picking the shit out of someones answer to my question as that is what you are trying to do, the member has been good enough to answer my question and I am sure he isn't looking for criticism, its nit picking posts that stop people from posting info, no need to 'set me straight' either as I won't be answering you, you havn't even offered any info about the BDS, THAT is what the thread is about, not about how much Deker knows about deer in the British Isles.

Too the rest of you blokes, thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated.

Cheers lads, I did recieve an email off them, the day after I posted this thread..........., they sound much the same as our own deer org over here. Deker, please don't go picking the shit out of someones answer to my question as that is what you are trying to do, the member has been good enough to answer my question and I am sure he isn't looking for criticism, its nit picking posts that stop people from posting info, no need to 'set me straight' either as I won't be answering you, you havn't even offered any info about the BDS, THAT is what the thread is about, not about how much Deker knows about deer in the British Isles.

Too the rest of you blokes, thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated.

You really need to lighten up.... and if you can't work out that the BDS looking after 5 deer species is a comment about the BDS I rest my case...and if you don't want me to respond to personal comments about me then don't make them!

It's nothing to do with nit picking...so a new member joins the site ..reads the post and end up with a big debate with his mates because he says we have 5 species of deer in the uk...must be true as I read it on THL. That will be really helpful to everyone!

Does anyone know anything about this organisation, I have sent them 2 emails in the past 6 weeks or so regarding postage to Aust. of some of their books and received NO answer, the books are available on Amazon, but the society say they are a charitable organisation looking after the future of deer in Britain so would have prefered to buy the books of them, if they don't even have the decency to return emails I don't think I would bother buying anything from them, pisses me off as I put a few other blokes from Aust. onto them also, maybe they put postage out here in the 2 hard basket :thumbdown: , the last book I ordered from the UK was here within 5 days and that included a weekend, so don't see the issue.

Is anyone a member that can shed some light perhaps, I would still buy off them if they can be vouched for as from what I have read on their site they do have the wild deer at heart and seem to be looking after sportsmen and women.

Cheers

Why would one expect am immediate response from the BDS to an enquiry that actually has nothing to do with them? If the books are on Amazon, then take it up with Amazon. A very kind thought of you to think of supporting the BDS by buying direct from them; but I'm not surprised that they didn't rush to answer. Would you? :hmm:

I've never had any problems with the staff at BDS hq; they are always polite and know their stuff. It is the volunteers manning the stands at shows that are the problem.... I'm a member of the BDS, but I don't have anything to do with the local branch for that very reason!

Rentmonski, I am not sure what you are getting at, the enquiry has everything to do with them, if you are a member of the BDS perhaps you should check their site out and re-read my post, BDS have THE books for sale on their site, I have no idea what that has to do with Amazon. The BDS are advertising the product for sale, FROM THEM on their site, why wouldn't I expect an immediate responce from them, you have lost me, wouldn't you expect a response from somewhere that advertises something for sale, fair dinkum I really have no idea what you are getting at, if someone made an enquiry about a product I was selling, as you put it, yes I would rush to answer, wouldn't you?

From what I have now been told, I won't be giving them the time of day, it took a post on THL just to get a response about a product they, yes THEY, offer for sale, from them, what the f#ck does that have to do with Amazon?