This is how the caterpillers started off when they arrived

323587932.jpg

This is 24 hours later

323801435.jpg

This is this morning , they have gone brown now & a bit fatter

323860536.jpg

Its amazing how they have changed in 2 days & i cant stop looking at them , seeing if anything else is different :laugh:

Haven't taken pics of mine for a couple of days but they're HOOOOGE :icon_eek: With tiny little heads ... and they just never seem to stop eating and crapping. My fushia is now decimated :laugh:

I am down to one the others died & i thought this last one was a gonner as well , i should have made sure the pot was bigger & the plant in the middle so they couldnt drop over the sides & get lost :(

I have touched this one today for the first time & its so soft :laugh:

Haven't taken pics of mine for a couple of days but they're HOOOOGE :icon_eek: With tiny little heads ... and they just never seem to stop eating and crapping. My fushia is now decimated :laugh:

I am down to one the others died & i thought this last one was a gonner as well , i should have made sure the pot was bigger & the plant in the middle so they couldnt drop over the sides & get lost :(

lol...... :clapper: go on Kay, give it a stroke.... :clapper:

Well I had one little cat that was still green, but I found him dead yesterday under a pile of poop :icon_eek: And was dead, not just changing colour or moulting or whatever.

Still, got three left and they're thriving. Darcy one of them has started to wander today ... remind me 'cause I'm dim :icon_redface: He can just go into a little space of his own with some dirt and fushia? How big does container need to be - at the moment the three of them are together in a big plexi container with a lid.

The kids each get to hold one every day while I'm cleaning the box out. They LOVE the cats with their big fat bodies and sticky feet.

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

DSC02722.jpg

They're so plump now it feels like they'll explode!!

lol... just put them in a box on their own if possible ...with some soil and leaves etc and they will pupate.....only do this once they start a-wandering....once they bury themselves leave the box for a fortnight before carefully unearthing them and then you can store them away for the winter in a cold place, or put them in the fridge....

i bred far too many this year and i have been relocating a few into the wild in places with lots of willowherb. Mine are nearly all pupated, so i should end up with about 40 pupas ..lol....too bloody many!!

lol...... :clapper: go on Kay, give it a stroke.... :clapper:

Well after you kept telling me i had to stroke it :laugh: i did & its really quite nice :toast:

These are mine......27 elephant pupa all due to be chilled out for the winter......also 10 eyed hawk pupa too. Looking forward to when these lovellys hatch next may. lol......this is what they look like for the next ten or so months lol.....

post-16-1216479886_thumb.jpg

lol.... well...not exactly....personally i would leave them outside one evening to cool gradually....then place them in the fridge in an AIR TIGHT container. on some kitchen roll. Maybe spray the kitchen roll lightly with a little water. the reason ids that fridges are a dry renvironment...and really, they will dry out the pupa....open the box once a month and maybe give them another light spray...only light though.....

its hard to believe when that moth hatches with its amazing colours that its all occured simply by eating willowherb/fushia......

good luck..JD

lol.... well...not exactly....personally i would leave them outside one evening to cool gradually....then place them in the fridge in an AIR TIGHT container. on some kitchen roll. Maybe spray the kitchen roll lightly with a little water. the reason ids that fridges are a dry renvironment...and really, they will dry out the pupa....open the box once a month and maybe give them another light spray...only light though.....

its hard to believe when that moth hatches with its amazing colours that its all occured simply by eating willowherb/fushia......

good luck..JD

Do they take colour factors from the stuff they eat?