kennel cough

you need to disinfect everything mate a slever can pass it on.
already done mate as soon as i took the dogs off the meds on friday shifted them into spare kennel and sprayed the one the dogs were in with dettol. will do it a few times before i put them back in. or should i ues a stronger disinfectant say jays. Edited by chester
already done mate as soon as i took the dogs off the meds on friday shifted them into spare kennel and sprayed the one the dogs were in with dettol. will do it a few times before i put them back in. or should i ues a stronger disinfectant say jays.

i would just do your complete kennel mate with strong disinfectant if theres a kennel next to the 1 theyve been in clean that aswell i would just clean my full lot mate even though theyve not been in and it should be fine.

already done mate as soon as i took the dogs off the meds on friday shifted them into spare kennel and sprayed the one the dogs were in with dettol. will do it a few times before i put them back in. or should i ues a stronger disinfectant say jays.

i would just do your complete kennel mate with strong disinfectant if theres a kennel next to the 1 theyve been in clean that aswell i would just clean my full lot mate even though theyve not been in and it should be fine.

:drink: mate will do.

put diluted jeyes fluid in a plant type sprayer and do the walls,roof,boxes etc in your kennels so you coat everything and let it air dry so it gets a chance to soak in wear a mask so you dont breath in the vapour benylin is a good treatment for kennel cough hope this helps atb neil

thanks for the replys lads did give them benylin/tcp mix to get rid and its done the trick only had a couple of cough's and strait on the mix aint had a cough out them since touch wood .took them off the said mix on friday and still no cough . have sprayed all the kennel run and bedbox with detol twice gona do it again with jays tomorow so hope that will be the end of that. :drink: chester

Kennel cough is like human flu: it is passed on as an airborne virus, if an infected dog coughs or sneezes then it can be passed on via a human if the dog snots on you. The strain of virus mutates and changes just like our common cold or flu, so once your dog is over that particular bout of it there should not be a problem.

I should know, I live just down the road from a big animal shelter, and every now and then my dogs get a new strain of the cough, carried by the wind. Once they've had one strain of kennel cough each successive infection gets less severe as the dog's immune system is already prepared for something similar.

Disinfecting kennels is OK, but it won't stop that airborn virus from landing on your dog if you are at a show, or simply in an area where an infected dog coughs. If your dog sniffs at the spot where the infected dog coughs, then its likely to get kennel cough, if it hasn't already had that particular strain of virus.

Hope this makes sense: my brain has left for the summer LOL

Kennel cough is like human flu: it is passed on as an airborne virus, if an infected dog coughs or sneezes then it can be passed on via a human if the dog snots on you. The strain of virus mutates and changes just like our common cold or flu, so once your dog is over that particular bout of it there should not be a problem.

I should know, I live just down the road from a big animal shelter, and every now and then my dogs get a new strain of the cough, carried by the wind. Once they've had one strain of kennel cough each successive infection gets less severe as the dog's immune system is already prepared for something similar.

Disinfecting kennels is OK, but it won't stop that airborn virus from landing on your dog if you are at a show, or simply in an area where an infected dog coughs. If your dog sniffs at the spot where the infected dog coughs, then its likely to get kennel cough, if it hasn't already had that particular strain of virus.

Hope this makes sense: my brain has left for the summer LOL

just hope i dont get it back as it has pissed me off big time. can is cause long term damage in a young healthy dog if treated right away as soon as the dog gives out the first cough.
my dogs have just had bout of kennel cough can the infection stay dormant in the kennel block after wards?

YOU NEED TO USE T.C.P. - SPRAY OVER ALL KENNELS, WALLS, ROOF - EVERYWHERE. THIS WILL GET RID OF IT.

my dogs have just had bout of kennel cough can the infection stay dormant in the kennel block after wards?

YOU NEED TO USE T.C.P. - SPRAY OVER ALL KENNELS, WALLS, ROOF - EVERYWHERE. THIS WILL GET RID OF IT.

You don't, Skycat is right. Once the dog gets over the virus thats it.

just finished spraying my kennel's with 22 quids worth of jays fluid so i hope that will be the end of it. the reason i am going to as much trouble is i have another pup coming in a fortnight's time and don't want the little mite getting the cough. thanks for all your replies.