Alaunt or Bull Cross...

Im just after a bit of info about alaunts and bull crosses (the more bully type!)

What is the main way that they are bred? What is the bull or mastiff blood in them?

My folks have just got a dobermann, and her guarding instinct is fantastic. How would an alaunt compare? Do they naturally guard? Are they aloof with strangers?

I have seen a few different pics of alaunts on here and also 3/4 bull 1/4 greyhound type crosses which look a nice dog.

Im not looking to get one, just gathering information. I am a bully person which is why im asking about this breed, had staffys and EBT before and loved them but they had poor guarding instincts which is something i would look for in a future dog.

Any info appreciated,

Many thanks

Gaz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers to tiny ive put that in my favourites and will have a read through there pages!

OCS1867 - Im not just after a guard dog, im researching the ideal companion, house dog, guard dog etc. A fair size dog with brawn but also with brains and athletisism.

I have read that rotties can be a little head strong/stubborn and not as easy to train as some breeds? But got no experience with rotties myself.

I will look into the boerboel as i know very little about them.

Cheers for replys!

Gaz

Thanks to all who have replied.

I like the look of the boerboel. I also love american bulldogs. But i have read that ABs are not very aloof with strangers due to being very friendly.

I know my EBT would of run off with a stranger and licked him to death! Lol.

I have considered so far…

Rottweiler

Dobermann

Presa Canario

Cane Corso

Bull Mastiff

American Bulldog

Boerboel

I love the Bully image with bull mastiffs and American bulldogs etc.

But Im also after the guarding instinct of the rotty and dobe with a good dose of obedience and brain chucked in, and without the 'bull in a china shop' behaviour in the house.

I suppose I know what im looking for and im sure it will end up being a mix of breeds in the end.

Anyone seen or heard of a Rottermann? Ive seen one on the internet! Lol.

Gaz

Gaz, why dont you try a GSD. If you get a well bred one, from working lines[not this country]

A male of say 80lbs, would stop any fecker. Dont forget it would be alot sharper, than alot of

the bigger guard dogs. A well bred GSD, are brave and will tackle anthing, thats why the cops

use them. You dont see many of the big breed's do you.???

BIRD

would have to say the Boerbel or a presa or a neo cross great guard dogs and great in the home some bulldogs are good guard dogs but not 100% trust worthy as for the alaunts good dogs but go to some one that knows whats what with them and has both parents their because some people breeding them are just crossing anything to make them mate good look with it some top dogs in the list mate

Gaz, why dont you try a GSD. If you get a well bred one, from working lines[not this country]

A male of say 80lbs, would stop any fecker. Dont forget it would be alot sharper, than alot of

the bigger guard dogs. A well bred GSD, are brave and will tackle anthing, thats why the cops

use them. You dont see many of the big breed's do you.???

BIRD

imo,.....the reason the law dont use the ''bigger'' types is basically......they dont need that much dog

also the shepherd type dogs are more responsive.....

gareth daniel,....what i must stress is,..do alot of research,...some of the dogs you mentioned are serious working dogs and you must see these dogs in 'real life' first before just going out and buying one....they may not be for you.......

valentino

Thanks to all who have replied.

I like the look of the boerboel. I also love american bulldogs. But i have read that ABs are not very aloof with strangers due to being very friendly.

Gaz

who told you that? you sure they werent confusing the Ambull for the American pit bull terrier?

my bitch would just as soon have you for dinner than look at you if i wasnt around to stop her. and she has a mysterious past.

no idea who bred her, or what level of training she's had: either Personal Protection is totally natural to HER or someone spent a shit load of money to have her trained that way. she knows her business either way. i thought i was getting a dog for free (a friend found her in a parking lot, skin and bones, and had just whelped a litter) then i found out exactly what i had when my aunt and uncle thought they would come in the house without knocking. she didnt maul them, no.... but they werent coming out of the corner she'd backed them into...

and that was only with her being in our home for a day.

i trust her judgment on strangers better than my own most times. ...

of course...i dont know the quality you have there but check this out.

i think i would love to have a couple of those dogs in my yard :victory: unfortunately they're in Holland.....

Edited by BlueCoyote