earthdogs & working terriers

well talkin of smithy i know a few great terriermen from ireland that travelled to gouldys many years ago to see the dog work but when they got there ken declined in bringing the dog for a dig and instead wanted to go to the pub and talk about the dog rather than letting the men see em under the sodd one of the lads in question told me that when they examined the dog he didnt show much signs of havein been worked hard but ken told them the dog was as hard as iron in the way he worked.im not in anyway running the dog down in this post im just stateing a true story because when i was told it many years ago it just always has stuck in my memory.the terriers in my kennell have lines back to smithy but they have been diluted as time goes by with old nuttall lines.as i said earlier im not running the dog down in anyway i never witnessed the dog on a dig or in the flesh but wasnt it made known that he was a half nuttall bred dog????

nuttal bred the bitch jet and cowan bred the dogs sire grip :thumbs:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well talkin of smithy i know a few great terriermen from ireland that travelled to gouldys many years ago to see the dog work but when they got there ken declined in bringing the dog for a dig and instead wanted to go to the pub and talk about the dog rather than letting the men see em under the sodd one of the lads in question told me that when they examined the dog he didnt show much signs of havein been worked hard but ken told them the dog was as hard as iron in the way he worked.im not in anyway running the dog down in this post im just stateing a true story because when i was told it many years ago it just always has stuck in my memory.the terriers in my kennell have lines back to smithy but they have been diluted as time goes by with old nuttall lines.as i said earlier im not running the dog down in anyway i never witnessed the dog on a dig or in the flesh but wasnt it made known that he was a half nuttall bred dog????
heres another true story - i saw the dog work many times , he would easily kill his quarry more times than not it was dead before you dug to him he would graft all day if you let him . he was a good honest working terrier as for being marked up i can assure you he was but he could easily kill fox without them even drawin blood .. made known by who that it was half nuttall - nuttall himself once smithy got a reputation a lot of people staked a claim to havin someting to do with hs breeding .. Edited by the_stig

Do tell more?

Booth bred Smithy, or so he tried to say.LOL.

If it's true that Smithy is bred like they say then it's a breeding that clicked.

Testement that the breeding was good is that when his blood fell into the right hands and was then kept tight it stayed good.

There are more than a few good yards based on Smithy. Even now many years later.

A combination of good breeding by good breeders.

The mystery IMO is how such a good terrier changed hands more than once.

If it's true that Smithy is bred like they say then it's a breeding that clicked.

Testement that the breeding was good is that when his blood fell into the right hands and was then kept tight it stayed good.

There are more than a few good yards based on Smithy. Even now many years later.

once gouldy got him thats whr he stayed the dogs a bit of a legend i ask this question would he of been in differant hands ??? gouldys a larger than life charecter he made the dog what it was regarless of who bred him if gouldy had`nt got his hands on him he would have been just another working terrier end of !!! booth :wankerzo4: bred everthing that had a name to it did`nt he i heard story that he told some lads he had won the waterloo cup with one of his running dogs :whistling:

once gouldy got him thats whr he stayed the dogs a bit of a legend i ask this question would he of been in differant hands ??? gouldys a larger than life charecter he made the dog what it was regarless of who bred him if gouldy had`nt got his hands on him he would have been just another working terrier end of !!! booth :wankerzo4: bred everthing that had a name to it did`nt he i heard story that he told some lads he had won the waterloo cup with one of his running dogs :whistling:

no he wouldnt of been just another terrier he was already a tremendous worker by the time ray got it let alone ken gould

no he wouldnt of been just another terrier he was already a tremendous worker by the time ray got it let alone ken gould

i did say another working ! terrier . would he have got the reputation without gould though trader and would he have produced so much off spring ? .

i did say another working ! terrier . would he have got the reputation without gould though trader and would he have produced so much off spring ? .

no definately not, ken put him to some good stuff and he wouldnt be as famous as he is with out ken :thumbs: he proved to hard for what didriksen wanted at the time and he would have been and easy dog to ruin in the wrong hands ,so fair play to ken .but like i said in my fist reply he was already a very good dog before he went to ray smith. and what a producer :o they dont come along like that very often weather its terriers /greyhounds/coursing dogs or race horses. its just a shame that people like booth try to credit thereselves with famous dogs in order to churn out the crap they do trader
How was the dog kept in its retirement?......

Was it well looked after like a legendary dog should be?

The way you ask the questions, reads like you already know the answers. So,,,,,,,,,

Edited by GD Waz
How was the dog kept in its retirement?......

Was it well looked after like a legendary dog should be?

why ask the question jd ? he was kept whr he was always kept , well fed and watered, i know for a fact!!! that he was walked over the fields at least 3 times a week for 4 years up until his death smithy died aged 15 not a bad age for a working terrier ? Edited by the_stig