Muntjacs in Holland

Hello everyone, I'm a biology student at the University of Amsterdam, and I'm currently investigating the conservation of Reeves' Muntjac:

The last decade wild muntjacs (Reeves') have been spotted in the Netherlands. Their numbers are still few (less than 100), but probably increasing. Considering the 'pest' it has become in England, should there be a specific Muntjac policy in the Netherlands? Has the introduction of Muntjacs in England led to more biodiversity, or is the muntjac only damaging forests and wild reserves? Should further dispersal of this species in Holland be prevented at all cost, or can the species be contained?

I'm really interested to read your reactions, and especially to see whether the introuction of the muntjac in England is now considered positive or negative..

Bram

I have little direct experience with Muntjac as I live too far to the north of there present range in the UK. But from what I understand they cause little damage to woodland etc unless at high population densities. As with all deer species the key is management, muntjac need culling to keep numbers in check otherwise there is potential for them to do damage when numbers become excessive. I think the worse cases of damage to woodland etc in the UK have been on nature reserves where no shooting was allowed. So in the Netherlands I would advise that once the deer become firmly established they are put onto the quarry list as a sporting animal so that the population can be managed by those who care about deer, stalkers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigredbusa

the problem is they breed all year round , and are rife down south . i dont mind them as they are good eating and i havent seen any direct damage by them . i think the large herds of fallow down south do more damage

start trying to cull them they breed all year round and are not easy to get at!!! altgough there are more pro shooters over there so jobs get done

but they live in the thickest growth so shooting is very difficult start now and you might buy yourself some time to research

further

they have a direct affect on the nightingale where the bird likes to nest is in the middle of a thicket at the ideal hieght that the muntjac likes to browes and a new study has come up with low or lost all together nightingale pairs in high density areas of muntjac.

• 4 weeks later...
they have a direct affect on the nightingale where the bird likes to nest is in the middle of a thicket at the ideal hieght that the muntjac likes to browes and a new study has come up with low or lost all together nightingale pairs in high density areas of muntjac.

Herein lies the problem an alien species is ousting the Nightingale no one really appreciates the problem an on going concern!

Not being funny mate ,but youve got to have some population of munties to create a browse line of any sort .We,here in Wiltshire have the 3rd highest density in the country but no browse line .The 'gale is on the decrease due to other more sinister factors than muntjac :thumbdown: One being the increase in sparrowhawks .

I am currently carrying out a Muntjac management plan for a local wildlife charity in order to find out what damage Muntjac are doing to Ancient Woodland habitats. The area that I'm studying has hazel coppice that is being eaten away by the Muntjac. The problem with this is that certain bird mammal species rely on the mature hazel for food and shelter ie the Dormouse.

Muntjac also eat important plant species such as Devil's Bit Scabious, Blue Bells, wild orchids (various types), Red Yarrow, Ox Lips and Honey Suckle. They are selective feeders and here lies the problem, as a problem to commercial forestry no Muntjac are not much of a problem, but they do damage conservation areas and should be managed and controlled. You will not be able to eradicate them but you may be able to reduce their damage to woodland and also fill your feezer with a abudance of good quality venison.

Hello everyone, I'm a biology student at the University of Amsterdam, and I'm currently investigating the conservation of Reeves' Muntjac:

The last decade wild muntjacs (Reeves') have been spotted in the Netherlands. Their numbers are still few (less than 100), but probably increasing. Considering the 'pest' it has become in England, should there be a specific Muntjac policy in the Netherlands? Has the introduction of Muntjacs in England led to more biodiversity, or is the muntjac only damaging forests and wild reserves? Should further dispersal of this species in Holland be prevented at all cost, or can the species be contained?

I'm really interested to read your reactions, and especially to see whether the introuction of the muntjac in England is now considered positive or negative..

Bram

Lopen die beestjes op de veluwe?

In dat geval zal de populatie snel afnemen, nu de bramen in mijn achtertuin zijn en er volop mereltjes zitten heb iik zelfs 4 raven gezien(bebouwde kom!) dat zal elders ongetwijfeld hetzelfde zijn en zullen de muntjacs aangevallen worden.

Gerjan

Bram

In dat geval zal de populatie snel afnemen, nu de bramen in mijn achtertuin zijn en er volop mereltjes zitten heb iik zelfs 4 raven gezien(bebouwde kom!) dat zal elders ongetwijfeld hetzelfde zijn en zullen de muntjacs aangevallen worden.

Gerjan

yeah i agree :whistling:

Bram

Gerjan

yeah i agree :whistling:

Ok nice mate XD

• 1 month later...