Handy tip!

I dont know if this has ever been mentioned before, but any way here goes :-

You know the little white bags of silica gel (do not eat throw away) you get in some electrical goods, kids toys etc, well, I all ways keep a couple in my rifle sleeve, reason being they attract moisture like s**t and keep things dry. You know the story your out in the field and even if its not raining cold steel attracts moisture, you get home and clean etc, but you will never remove all the moisture.

So to keep your rifle in tip top and avoid moisture just place a couple of these little silica gell bags in your rifle sleeve, if your using your rifle day in day out replace them every month or so.

There you go short and sweet and maybe I have done a bit for recycling too :D

I was just thinking (i do this occasionaly), a lot of you will be saying "I keep my rifle well oiled, that drives off the moisture", but unless you are pyhsicaly dipping the thing in oil (not a good tip), you will still get moisture where you can't see or get to, just thirty years of experiance thats all, and an after thought!

i do that gav . i keep silica gel from work then just slide it in with me gun , i clean my gun after every shoot ,

never thought to post the idea well done its great topic , idea

using the gel you should never have any problems with rust if leaving your gun for long time in its bag

:gunsmilie::gunsmilie::gunsmilie::clapper::clapper:

I was just thinking (i do this occasionaly), a lot of you will be saying "I keep my rifle well oiled, that drives off the moisture", but unless you are pyhsicaly dipping the thing in oil (not a good tip), you will still get moisture where you can't see or get to, just thirty years of experiance thats all, and an after thought!

:thumbs:

Guest buster321c

We use a similar stuff at work ` dessicant` its used in the spacer bar between the glass in a double galzed unit and dries out all the moisture . Sometimes the glass gets misted up if the units broken down , this would happen without dessicant , so i may well get me a little bag of it seeing as we buy it in bulk :thumbs:

Additional points....the gel can be placed in an oven to dry it out, this will extend it's useable life.

Be careful not to overdo the silica gel if your rifle has a wooden stock, it can dry the wood too much as well and split the stock!!!!!!

Additional points....the gel can be placed in an oven to dry it out, this will extend it's useable life.

Be careful not to overdo the silica gel if your rifle has a wooden stock, it can dry the wood too much as well and split the stock!!!!!!

Good points there, I had never thought of it drying the stock out, I have had two small bags in my sleeve (one at each end) for two years now and have just been and checked the stock out and not a crack in sight .. phew, the stock on mine is hardwood and I would presume they would dry the wood out well before the manufacturing process.

Thanks for the input, its always good when people add things you never thought of yourself :good: