just wanted to find out what people think is the best quality dry feed for dogs, what is the best money wise, is tin food a definant no, no........ been told on many times redmills and kirklands are best money, i currently use redmills, and my mutt loves it, he licks his bowl clean, never use to do that with eukanuba

Here is a good reference to keep handy, in regards to rating your dogs' food. MANY members have asked me about this one, so here it is for you all:

Hope this helps.

How to grade your dog's food:

Start with a grade of 100:

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerâ?Ts rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 morepoints

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isnâ?Tt allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isnâ?Tt allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or

nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than

the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A

86-93 = B

78-85 = C

70-77 = D

69 = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored. If you don't

see your dog's food here, ask and someone will score it for you.

Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F

Canidae / Score 112 A+

Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+

Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F

Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B

Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A

Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+

Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+

Foundations / Score 106 A+

Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 D

Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D

Innova Dog / Score 114 A+

Innova Evo / Score 114 A+

Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+

Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B

Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F

ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

Purina Benful / Score 17 F

Purina Dog / Score 62 F

Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F

Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+

Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+

Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A

Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F

Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F

Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+

Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

just wanted to find out what people think is the best quality dry feed for dogs, what is the best money wise, is tin food a definant no, no........ been told on many times redmills and kirklands are best money, i currently use redmills, and my mutt loves it, he licks his bowl clean, never use to do that with eukanuba

The best dry food on the market is Hills Science Plan. Quite a bit more expensive but worth every penny.

My 7 year old lab bitch is fed on 24% protein during the game season and the "light" Hills diet during the spring/summer months. She looks and acts like a 3 year old and temperament, condition and general health is excellent. Stamina is also excellent and she will work all day long.

Of course we all have our favourite brands and it is not easy to make the change, but I wouldn't use any other brand and certainly not tinned dog meat. I do accept that a lot of owners prefer raw and thought about it when she was a pup but as she is in the house - raw can be inconvenient and may need vitamin supplements depending on meat variety.

jut a bit of advice needed, it is normal for dogs to eat less or miss out meals during these hot days

Yip dogs tend to eat less when its warm feed later in the evening when its cooler....well mine do anyway

jut a bit of advice needed, it is normal for dogs to eat less or miss out meals during these hot days

Yip dogs tend to eat less when its warm feed later in the evening when its cooler....well mine do anyway

we feed one day raw one day kibble, i have found kirklands kibble to be the best value for money.

i use to use red mills, but have now changed to Gain, far better quality. i dont feed dry everyday, about 3 times a week, they get lamb breasts, chicken, meaty bones and scraps from the butcher, rabbit, hare, some venison, but not a lot, tends to give them the scour.

The best dry food on the market is Hills Science Plan. Quite a bit more expensive but worth every penny.

My 7 year old lab bitch is fed on 24% protein during the game season and the "light" Hills diet during the spring/summer months. She looks and acts like a 3 year old and temperament, condition and general health is excellent. Stamina is also excellent and she will work all day long.

Of course we all have our favourite brands and it is not easy to make the change, but I wouldn't use any other brand and certainly not tinned dog meat. I do accept that a lot of owners prefer raw and thought about it when she was a pup but as she is in the house - raw can be inconvenient and may need vitamin supplements depending on meat variety.

Hills is a rubbish feed and for the price its robbery! Who told you it was the best feed on the market? the vet that sold you it? learn to read dog food labels, there is a post above telling you how to rate a food. There are far better feeds than Hills for far less money.