Burrell strain

If anyone has ever had the pleasure or indeed the time to talk to mr Jeff Burrell they will come away (about 3hours later) with a definate assumption that Jeff and family have developed their strainof lurcher over an unbelievably long period of time. What I dont understand is why they all look different. My limited understanding is that a strain must be inbred to be a strain and the purpose of that is to lock in certain good qualities be they mental or/and physical. So is it not inevitable and also desired that a strain or closely related family should resemble each other?and would that strain g

iven

time(about 200 years in Jeffs estimation)not breed more or less true to type or have I got all that wrong?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has ever had the pleasure or indeed the time to talk to mr Jeff Burrell they will come away (about 3hours later) with a definate assumption that Jeff and family have developed their strainof lurcher over an unbelievably long period of time. What I dont understand is why they all look different. My limited understanding is that a strain must be inbred to be a strain and the purpose of that is to lock in certain good qualities be they mental or/and physical. So is it not inevitable and also desired that a strain or closely related family should resemble each other?and would that strain g

iven

time(about 200 years in Jeffs estimation)not breed more or less true to type or have I got all that wrong?

my little bitch was out of a dog from paul burrell apparently the guy i goy the bitch off was a northener but lived in cornwall ,the sire was a whipp/grey he said paul was jeffs brother ,my uncle knew jeff years ago and speaks very highly of him ....

iven

my little bitch was out of a dog from paul burrell apparently the guy i goy the bitch off was a northener but lived in cornwall ,the sire was a whipp/grey he said paul was jeffs brother ,my uncle knew jeff years ago and speaks very highly of him ....

Whats that got to do with it?

The guy has dogs that go back breeding true to type for 400 years he once told me........and had photographs to prove it...........yeah right. If you look into the various outcrosses he has used to produce his "Tumbler" type lurchers then you would certainly doubt his claims. He produces lurchers like anyone else good bad and indifferent.......but they certainly don't go back 400 years breeding true to type thats for sure..........it's like all things in life you pays your money you takes your choice........if he believes that he has a "pure" strain of lurcher then thats up to him.........!

Rolfe.

mate ive spoken to jeff b twice and like you he told me about a strain of dog that his family and friends had developed,to be honest he has had to out cross to other obviuose breeds in order to keep on his blood going very diluted as it may be.jeff b speaks highly of his stock and does not breed for profit or so he says,i do know he slags off other breeders rightly or wrongly and the last i herd his dogs were going for £300 more or less depending on dogs bitches rough or smooth.make your own mind up dealer or not and true or false on the make up of the dogs.

mate ive spoken to jeff b twice and like you he told me about a strain of dog that his family and friends had developed,to be honest he has had to out cross to other obviuose breeds in order to keep on his blood going very diluted as it may be.jeff b speaks highly of his stock and does not breed for profit or so he says,i do know he slags off other breeders rightly or wrongly and the last i herd his dogs were going for £300 more or less depending on dogs bitches rough or smooth.make your own mind up dealer or not and true or false on the make up of the dogs.

If you have good blood you dont have to keep going out.Thats how youre blood becomes diluted in the first place.

Why the permanent add in edrd if profit isnt sort.Surely a good strain needs no adverts.Ask the lady who owns the laguna strain of whippet.

From what I've seen of the dogs that people claim to have had out of his kennels, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They're just a blithering mess of mongeralisation, with a new breed of dog added as and when fancy takes, its a joke. What sort of person puts husky into a their line of lurcher for stamina? True working bulls and collies have more than enough stamina to offer, with tractability to boot. Lmfao, how many years can he trace the dogs ancestery back? To the first domesticated dog probably next week!

As to not breeding for money.....

From what I've seen of the dogs that people claim to have had out of his kennels, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They're just a blithering mess of mongeralisation, with a new breed of dog added as and when fancy takes, its a joke. What sort of person puts husky into a their line of lurcher for stamina? True working bulls and collies have more than enough stamina to offer, with tractability to boot. Lmfao, how many years can he trace the dogs ancestery back? To the first domesticated dog probably next week!

:clapper::clapper:

BIRD

Bird how the hell can anyone breed a lurcher for money? What kind of money? zero prophet maybee! 100 pound odd.

A decent price could not ever be achieved back in the hey day (legal coursing etc) and as for getting good permanent homes that's another thing.

Who the hell would breed lurchers these days to sell? Breed your own and gas the rest its always best.

i have had dogs of jef 20 years ago. i replied to ad of his not long back he was being slated in the coutrymans he phoned me and said keg thanks for the support i have put you to the front of the list of my next litter it will only cost you200 for a pup [some fecking mate]

Guest markbrick1

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: mark

Bird how the hell can anyone breed a lurcher for money? What kind of money? zero prophet maybee! 100 pound odd.

A decent price could not ever be achieved back in the hey day (legal coursing etc) and as for getting good permanent homes that's another thing.

Who the hell would breed lurchers these days to sell? Breed your own and gas the rest its always best.

HANCOCK===== 350£===== 52WEEKS AYEAR ?????? :whistling:

BIRD

Well I pity the fool. No disrespect Bird, I know where your coming from.

Who is bigger fool, fool or fool that follows? Still, I think that Mr hanckock sutton colfield must have a dodgy calculator, from nick leeson or something, or even another source of income, because it baffles me how that "business" is remotely viable. I heard he shoots a good many older pups when they get up past the 15 week range (hungry money traps)

Lucky stud dog is all I can say.

like i said before you make your own mind up is he as bad as the rest,the answer is yes he is or why else would you advertise to sell week in week out,and as for a waiting list if there was a waiting list why the need to advertise,when i asked him about his dogs and questioned what he was telling me he triped up all over saying he would not use this and that for breedind but once his peds were against his dogs on his web site and they had every dog breed used in lurcher breeding in there,since then his peds have been taken off. :thumbdown: £350 :icon_eek: selling to the public one litter after the next has got to be comercial.

Its all "Brand-names" and spurious reputations,watch pat carey on POACHERS 2 endorsing poachers-pocket lurchers,its a load of crap,who actually buys these dogs? :no: Does a fancy name make it a better worker? :no: