ferret care in general

Same here £30 consultation fee and they know sweet fa about ferrets you got to go onto the natational ferrets site to get a list of ferret friendly vets

i telephoned around 7 local vets and i found a brilliant one what i call a propper vet its a old farm house out in the middle of nowhere they treat everything ,the consultation is only£8

the consultations usually the bulk of the bill , if you get a good service for a reasonable price thats great but i know a lot of people who pay £ 30 quid before the animals even seen seen , fair do's your paying for there ''expertise'' but finding a ferret savvy vet can be hard & you do tend to hang on to them if you do

A lot off the vets charge the same as a cat for consultation , the vet i have been using are good last year they only charged me 30 quid for all that stuff for gloria

But i have paid a lot more for a lot less

You can see where all the problems come from with some folk not keen on taking there ferret to a vet £30 consultation fee before the vet starts it soon mounts up for a £5 ferret .Its all about the pound at the vets today animal care just doesn't come into it

You can see where all the problems come from with some folk not keen on taking there ferret to a vet £30 consultation fee before the vet starts it soon mounts up for a £5 ferret .Its all about the pound at the vets today animal care just doesn't come into it

I think its the consultation fullstop whatever you take there work out what you pay by the bill , the drugs amount to 8 quid the rests consultation

I was charged 30 quid to have a ferret pts and the vet just stuck the gas mask over its face , no talking to me about it, just very cold & clinical , i stopped using said vets as there prices were stupidly high at the time i fostered cats for a regestered charity and all her cats went for routine neautering there , she showed me 3 monthly bils & each one was over a grand each , i found an equine vet who did a small animal surgery & there spot on , cant fault them , i have only used them 3 times for ferrets but my brothers used them a hell off a lot with a dog they had probs with & he said the same there good

I would always advise folk to phone and ask for a price but there reply is roughly £50/£60 then they think nothing of sticking a extra £20 on top and when you question it The reply it was only a ROUGH estimate ,we sit back and take this to bloody often

I would always advise folk to phone and ask for a price but there reply is roughly £50/£60 then they think nothing of sticking a extra £20 on top and when you question it The reply it was only a ROUGH estimate ,we sit back and take this to bloody often

I think you can do that if its a routine thing but i honestly think that who you speak to on the phone aint usually the vet and then when you get there the price quoted by the receptionist never tallys with what you eventually pay

Its never a vet and when you mention ferret they say i will need to speak to the exotic vet :wallbash::wallbash:

well if you do find a good ferret vet hang on to them :laugh:

Its never a vet and when you mention ferret they say i will need to speak to the exotic vet :wallbash::wallbash:

well if you do find a good ferret vet hang on to them :laugh:

Found our exotics vet over 8 years ago, and although they're a bit pricey (over £24 now for a consult), I wouldn't change. She's a brilliant vet and really knows her stuff as far as ferrets are concerned :thumbs:

Strikes me a lot of the variation is down to simple economics.

If there's only one vet in an area, they can charge any joke prices they like.

I'm lucky. There's several vets in a small area where I live. If one of them charges the sort of comedy prices I'm reading here, they'd find their customers buggering off to the cheaper one down the road.

Last time i used mine, I paid £58. That was for a consult and treatment (steroid injection) at 8.30 on a Saturday night, ie an emergency out-of-hours job. The vet explained exactly what he was doing, was excellent with the ferret (not one of my more friendly ones either :laugh: ) and took as long as was needed to do the job properly.

Result.