ferret care in general

But with nearly all the posts on ferret health problems cropping up its made me write this ,I am not having a go at anyone but if ferret owners spent a little more time with their ferrets they might notice illnesses sooner rather than later ,you should all know how each of you ferrets behavour is normal to them and if you notice anything different about them keep an eye open and if any unusual pus or lack of appitite then i would suggest a phone call or a quick visit to the vets,reguarding cost as some have mentioned you have to think about that before you get your animal as they sooner or later may need medical assistance.Your working ferret is part of the team same as the dogs treat it well as you do your dogs

thats my thoughts anyway

Guest jojoamojo
but as things are being posted about these animals, they must be getting the once over or things go un noticed

Maybe the point to make is we need to be vigilant and if the info you get is to get to a vet, then you must make the appointment as a matter of urgency?

It appears to me that the "take it to the vet" response is all to often used, I work my ferts and terriers all year round and if I was to take them to the vets every time they appear ill I would be pot-less. Walking in the door is £25 before the vet even looks at the animal. From experience here in Hampshire, most vets know SFA about ferts, mine freely admits to disliking them. The last time a jill of mine was ill and a trip to the vets was needed it cost me over £60 and it fecking died a week latter, not again. ! Their health & welfare is paramount, it just means that I'm a practical.

I check on my animals ever day, that does not make me any better then someone who checks every other day or less.

Maybe i am just lucky with animals i can count on 1 hand the amount of times i have had to take a ferret for a visit in the last 14 yrs , other than if they needed a castrate , they all live to good ages, i only feed a species appropriate diet , they get no treats or anything so maybe sometimes the things ferrets get can be put down to lifestyle ,

NOTE I SAID SOMETIMES :laugh:

It appears to me that the "take it to the vet" response is all to often used, I work my ferts and terriers all year round and if I was to take them to the vets every time they appear ill I would be pot-less. Walking in the door is £25 before the vet even looks at the animal. From experience here in Hampshire, most vets know SFA about ferts, mine freely admits to disliking them. The last time a jill of mine was ill and a trip to the vets was needed it cost me over £60 and it fecking died a week latter, not again. ! Their health & welfare is paramount, it just means that I'm a practical.

I check on my animals ever day, that does not make me any better then someone who checks every other day or less.

It does make you better than someone who checks every other day! Ferrets are in a hutch or a cage or however you keep them. They RELY on YOU for food water and love. Would you leave a dog in a cage for 2 days without checking on him? Someone who doesnt look after their animals, In my opinion should be shot! :gunsmilie::boxing::feck:

i am not saying rush to the vets for a sniffle ,but when you can see the ferret is really not well then i cannot see what the problem is not seeking treatment,people dont seem to have the problem in spending money on their dogs but not their ferrets is it because there is so many kits in the summer that its so easy and cheap to simply replace them.Ive never had any serious problems with my ferrets health and im glad of that .I was just stating my point of view

I think vets charge what the hell they like , some yrs ago i took a blind cat i found & then kept till he died as i needed him weighing so i could worm him, he wasnt checked over, the only thing that took place was he was weighed & worming tablest were dispenced they charged me £ 35 for that

The following week i took a male cat for a castrate , i was charged £ 30 quid for that

You cant guarantee what the final price will be untill you have been seen , i wont take animals for anything now other than very routine stuff like neuters or if its a major emergency

The average hunter has a fair bit more experience of injuries and treating them etc compared to the average pet owner.

I recently took one my hobs to the vets because of swollen neck (purely to get the antibiotics I needed) the vet was absolutely hopeless he was terrified of the ferret he totally failed to lance and drain the swelling. I came home and lanced and drained the swelling myself after paying £30 for nothing but antibiotics.

Vets are not the answer to everything most of them spend so much of their treating animals with nothing wrong with them simply to make owners feel like they are getting their moneys worth that when animals with real injurys they don't have a clue.