plummer terriers

without meaning to stir shit......i did contemplate a plummer terrier , i mostly ferret, and do a bit of rough shooting and other vermin control, i wanted a small game dog for marking,ratting, bushing and whatever else i may decide to do/need to do. Basically a sporting companion/vermin dog!

All the arguing and the different types and clubs put me off!

i got a teckel she suits me and does what i need/want

what has suffered from my decision? the plummer terrier as a breed, one less owner, one less terrier, one less being worked, one less potential breeder..........all the heads of the clubs need to get together, draw a line under the old arguments, produce one united face , register,standard and to breed working terriers with a thought to re-ducing inherent weakness and being mindful to problems within the type!

Me i may breed from my teckel....in fact i may start a pack :whistling: i could have been an ambassador for the plummer terrier breed! :whistling:

well said !! i own a plummer and very proud of him i am but all this bickering does and will put potential people of so cant people just button it!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too late for all that

i want to work and breed workers but too many will breed from a non worker because it looks better or has better form.

ok, if 2 dogs work well pick the smartest but dont choose it because its won a show or because it will throw correct marked ofspring.

im banging my head against a brick wall, someone smart will come back with a reply like " its about comfermation, the vivid red colour, under 12".

if the tempraments right and both parents work then breed, if not then dont.

why use anunentered or non working dog over a working bitch, just because the stud dog looks right.

its going backwards regarding the working side of things, ok maybe forward if you want a smarter, redder litter for pet homes.

Guest 10/22

well its impossible to use a neutered dog jamie as it wont have tackle that works, i'd have thought an experienced dog person like you would have known that,.

and yes its a shame people are put off the breed by the constant bickering, i must admit if I wasnt in so deep I'd drop them like hot coals, still i like the breed, do believe it has a place in the world of dogs maybe some new people wouldnt hurt, a totally different audience, new blood never hurt anything and perhaps with them will come some renewed enthusiasm, cos I'm sick to the teeth of the whole scenario as it is - we can only hope.

well its impossible to use a neutered dog jamie as it wont have tackle that works, i'd have thought an experienced dog person like you would have known that,.

and yes its a shame people are put off the breed by the constant bickering, i must admit if I wasnt in so deep I'd drop them like hot coals, still i like the breed, do believe it has a place in the world of dogs maybe some new people wouldnt hurt, a totally different audience, new blood never hurt anything and perhaps with them will come some renewed enthusiasm, cos I'm sick to the teeth of the whole scenario as it is - we can only hope.

You can do more than Hope....you can stop arguing, meet with the other breeders/organisations and work out a way of compromising and moving forward!

Your whole attitude seems to exude defencisim, let stuff go, see that people aren't havinga go or preaching.

the lad on about recognising inherent problems and trying to breed them out........you started bringing up lab's and other breeds with problems and accusing him of saying the breeders had failed.......he was saying they try and eliminate problems by testing and breeding wisely which he wanted the Plummer terrier breeders to do!

Dont just moan.....do something

I'm afraid it has all gone to far for the various clubs to unite. It would be easier to get the Jews and the Palestinions to make up. Even worse is the headlong rush for KC fame, some knickers are going to get twisted in that rush with some wedgies going in!

On the EPTR website is the call for exhibitors to learn ringcraft!!!! I thought they had enough experience in that already!!

At a show recently I asked a bloke with a nice young plummer if it had been entered, he replied *Yes, in the under 12 months, pairs and progeny classes! (A joke, to illustrate a point).

I met Plummer on a few occasions,and to say "he didn't take himself seriously" is crap.

He was so up himself it was untrue.

I always thought it a tad weird the way he surrounded himself with teenage lads.

Were you one of "Brians" boys Matti? :air_kiss:

wonder what his wife would make of that comment...supposed to be a debate about the terrier and you've just plunged it to a new level....you should be pleased with yourself. :thumbdown:

I met Plummer on a few occasions,and to say "he didn't take himself seriously" is crap.

He was so up himself it was untrue.

I always thought it a tad weird the way he surrounded himself with teenage lads.

Were you one of "Brians" boys Matti? :air_kiss:

wonder what his wife would make of that comment...supposed to be a debate about the terrier and you've just plunged it to a new level....you should be pleased with yourself. :thumbdown:

It's impossible to separate the so called Plummer terrier from DB Plummer himself.

As for "plunging the debate to a new level" - I met the guy a few times, and thats how I found him, and he DID always seem to have a gang of teenage lads in his entourage FACT.

Anyway, I'm sure old Brian would be glad we are still talking about him.

Edited by david2363
Guest ooty

anyone thats talking s*it saying plummers arnt up to the job aint seen this one go.i call him maximus, ryecroft max is his papered name,just sired my new litter to an equaly hard bitch named tir powys gwen.nobody whos seen one of these dos work would say such a thing :victory: