plummer terriers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just last week i breed a small red english bull terrier dog with a plummer terrier bitch . my plan if all gos well is to keep a bitch pup to breed back to a plummer terrier dog. i know its been done before. this might be an interresting cross that may make a stronger type.

You are joking right? if not why would you do that when its already been done and the cream is still about in varying degrees which is already tried and tested ? strange

i only know of it being done once before. which in my oppinion once is not enough to rectify the problems that are produced in such a close genepool. (only my oppinion)

With sencible breeding the plummer gene pool is safe at the moment for a good few years to come without the need to outcross,when i say sencible with most plummers they have a pedigree which with the help of a few different redgistars can be followed back.With this cross breeding presenting faults such as patela lux'tion,hip dispaysia,cleft palets and others can be avioded,a unique thing to be able to in the working terrier world.Willy nilly breeding plummer to plummer =plummer won't be helping the breed in the long run as there are some faults that need irradicating,sounds a bit much but this breed is still very much in it's infancy still and the presant plummer owners will be the ones who can make or break the breed for generations to come.

Guest 10/22

The problems are already in there fireman, just like every other breed, what makes you think anyone can develop a fault free breed, gee, they cant do it with humans so how you gonna do it with dogs - its no big deal - problems should be acknowledged and noted , not used as a tool to beat fellow enthusiasts with- sh1t happens even with the most careful of breeders, as for the gene pool it benefitted greatly from new blood (which incidentally came from 3 dogs not one) , the new blood has far less problems than the pure lines and are better and more stable all round dogs if the truth be known . and I speak from first hand, hands on experience with breeding and working these dogs pure and new blood notm secondhand hearsay .

Edited by 10/22

I belive that with good breeding that the faults carried within the breed can be bred out,a freedom of choice about the out cross blood but as you are involved in the new blood project you do have to think they are better.All i'm saying is think about the lines you want to use and do your homework on it,the advice is out there from a few different people(politics aside)and is not hard to get,you may get some oppinions that differ but it's down to the breeder themselves in the end to use whatever stud and as you know yourself plummer x plummer with no thought can lead to fault carrying dogs that are no good for the breed or gene pool.Not putting ANY ones dogs down just saying with sencible breeding the breed can and will improve and the days of fault carrying dogs left behind.

Guest 10/22

If that were the case, why hip score and eye test dogs? are you saying lab breeders and such have made such a bad job over the years they have intentionally not bred out faults which occur or are you saying there is within the plummer terrier breed a person who can eliminate all known canine faults in this particular breed?, if so then that person is the most valuable person there is known to dog breeders , but!! if that person says it can be done and claims any number of years in their chosen breed, which in this case is plummer terriers yet still hasnt achieved it , then they arent as good as they claim are they?

What i'm saying is with carefull breeding the chances of some faults appearing will be dramaticly reduced,hip fault carrier to hip fault carrier = hip faults presant,you should know that this is important or do you just breed plummer x plummer?,no you don't.No slagging here mate just that at this stage of the breed a breeding free for all would not help the breed at all,the lines will go or if not only be held in accidental line matings and there would be no point in any of the peds of line history other than in name only rather than the facts about the lines we can at the moment,helpfull unbiased information on future matings from allsides will only help in bringing the breed forward.

Guest 10/22

so what you are saying is the reason the gun dog and the show fraternity have to hipscore and eye test is because they havent been careful breeding and the plummer terrioer can eventually breed out faults , so plummer owners need to be told what to breed their dog to by an expert who has achieved fault free plummers , please name this genius , i'm sure the big dog breeders of this country would be pleased to listen to such an expert who can rid dogs of faults by doing as they are told.

As for accidental matings well it happens , not all pregnancies are planned and not just in dogs, deal with it!! its life all we can do is say we did our best, isnt that good enough? so sorry there is no such thing as an unbiased opinion and opinion is an opinion, especially if you have an interest in the subject. i know i'm biased towards what I breed, its called having faith in your achievements, i know i have, and have the goods to prove it .

Why you being hostile tim/sue read what i've said carefull breeding oh i can't be arsed repeating it all again.Why do the gun dog lot hip score etc so they know what to and what not to breed?,same with plummer lines is it not?,never have i said plummer owners have to be told how to breed but that some of the more knowledgeable heads among the breeds supporters can help in good sencible breeding so in the very long run faults can be made less common,as is the case nowadays with some of the faults becoming rarer.Accidental line matings need never happen with a good record behind the breed a don't think for one second this is a dig at ANYONE north or south of any boarder,just a fact and one i won't have to ever deal with as i plan to look back into the lines of my one and only bitch before deciding on breeding her i think that shows sense or don't you have a breeding plan and a aim at your kennels?.Any stockman worthy of the name looks back into the history of what they are breeding,plain and simple and if they don't take notice of certain things it will end up a mess thats all i ment.

Guest WILF

All you Plummerphiles had better watch out at your anual prance round at the Midland..........rumour is that Cammoman is comming with his merciless sword of justice to do away with all you showponys.........Keep em peeled!

Guest 10/22

Fireman why take the thought i'm having a go, all i'm saying is that if the big boys cant rid their dogs of faults how on earth do you expect perfection to happen in plummers, it just wont, accept that its a developing breed that carries faults common in every dog breed and thats the first step. The next one is to realise many people can contribute to the future of the breed and indeed if it to have a future need to, as i see it its dead in the water and will continue to be so while we have so many prima donnas, -hence the ptcgb having a restructure the end of the year, it makes sense to me, but anyway thats digressing - btw its tim you are speaking to ,anyway jmi how many litters have you bred? As for accidents dont happen, if not there would never be car crashes, or people getting run over accidents do happen fact!!! accept it, try to avoid them but never say never , life isnt like that

Guest 10/22
All you Plummerphiles had better watch out at your anual prance round at the Midland..........rumour is that Cammoman is comming with his merciless sword of justice to do away with all you showponys.........Keep em peeled!

thats fine, will he be at the the great yorks or is the gate entrance fee of £25 too much ? watch them dogs prance lol

I have seen several decent Plummers work to ground.Excellent noses and stick to the task until the job is done.Bill Mossman used to be a hunt terrierman and his main terriers were Plummers.If from the right lines as good as anything else.It amazes me how some people can look at a picture of a dog and slate it as a worker.It just shows their lack of experience.Many times I have seen the most hideous looking terriers out perform the stunners on the day.

im experienced enough to realise that the dog in the picture is only of limited to use in large setts, and that dog would struggle to get and work its quarry in varying situations in the british isles, to the people who can see faults in the breed the breed will be improved and have a great future :thumbs: if it was left to an idiot like you it wouldnt