plummer terriers

As usual got my cmw today and there in the folds is another plummer terrier, ive not really took a lot of notice of the breed .seen its develope over the years right back from omega/vampire even san but havent taken a critical look, as they were really only tested at rats and most of the big catches in plummers diarys were far from the truth ,but today in cmw theres some show champion from some show and i must admit if that is a good example of the breed all i can say is they are proberly only suited to rats cant seen them having the strenght to really last hard terrier work year in year out trader

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldskool

yep, seen that too... labradoodles, feck me whats the world coming to... i dont mean to say the labradoodle wouldnt have potential in the field but pups at that price who gives a toss?? lol

i always liked the look of the plummer... but i think things went to pot when they went into production...

if you look at the breeds that went into the making of the plummer terrier, on paper, it should work should it not???

Think about it. Nearly every breed of working terrier eventually evolved from sportmen/hunters breeding best to best to get a worker that suit their country and quarry.

The Plummer was bred/designed to fulfill one reason. To enhance an ego.

Simple as that, what does the Plummer TYPE of terrier do better than any other terrier type. Nothing.

As for talking ill of the dead. Any one ever read his article in Irish Hunting ,Shooting and Fishing about people that keep black working terriers. If thats not being a coward then.....????

Any one ever read his article in Irish Hunting ,Shooting and Fishing about people that keep black working terriers. If thats not being a coward then.....????

Not read that one Neil, what was the gist, something positive i'll bet :whistling:

Here we go again another another month another post about how crap plummers are.How on earth can you make judgment off a photo,why don't you at least go and look at a few in the flesh before giving a opinion like the one i saw on a pic didn't look like it could do a days work so there all crap,sounds stupid is well lets say not very well thought through.Not many plummer owners (and i know a good few)claim the plummer is better than other types,what they will say is these dogs do take some beating in some areas,yes ratting and rabbiting formost but there are some very good earth working plummers as well.The majority of working plummers are in good hands,good working hands who do test their dogs because there not on forums telling all(and probebly being called liars)doesn't meen that these sort of working plummers don't excist,go to a show where there are plummer classes and have a look at a few examples then you could at least say they don't look up to it as i've seen a few in the flesh,saying this and if your true to yourself you will have your opinion changed.Whatever the breed was bred for it has come a long way from the dogs plummer bred and as a plummer owner who has seen a bit of the political b*ll*cks surrounding the breed,the man himself does little favour for this working terrier as most dislikers of the breed don't like the man himself so slate the breed.Look on the net for a few plummer forums and see a few more pics though you may not want to see what you don't want to working plummers working at all legal quarry and being more on top of that keepers dogs, water bailifs mink finders even house dogs when not working,go take a look,dare ya......

in cmw theres some show champion from some show and i must admit if that is a good example of the breed all i can say is they are proberly only suited to rats cant seen them having the strenght to really last hard terrier work year in year out trader

So f'cking what if it only works to Rats and what do you mean by hard terrier work ?

Some of them big thickset terriers you see at the shows are far to big for hunting Fox to ground and are only ever used on little one hole spots where you could get the same result if you put some drain rods in. :doh:

Guest 10/22

Plummers arent to everyones taste, some are good workers some arent as good, then again some owners are the same, a lot is down to correct upbringing and entering , and of course obtaining a dog from the right lines in order to give the dogs every chance. I like the breed have dogs from the original lines and the new blood ones and to be honest on a days work the new blooded dogs outpace, out think and outwork any pure line out there.

Its a classy terrier there is no doubt about it , ok so its a composite, but arent most terriers?, the only thing wrong with the dogs is they carry the name of a man who many people dont like(though plenty would have liked to be him and some think they are better than him lol) and the other point is the damned politics which surround them is nothing short of a joke.

a few replys to this post seem to hit a nerve with some but everyone entitled to there opinion including myself i dont think rats are a test to form an ability of a breed i didnt slate or condone the whole breed what i said was the example in country mans weekly was in my opinion not strong enough for long term serious terrier work i have seen the breed in the flesh several times over the years so i am not going on solely looking at a photo so the next bit to this is how many professional terrier men use the breed[hunt servants] i dont know of any :thumbs:

i take it you are talking about the plummer in cmw called "cwm garw senior "?

i dont know the lad personally but i know he works his dogs, if you were such an expert on dogs to cast an opinion like that then you would know that its whats inside a dog that counts, you obviously have just had a quick glance at the dogs picture and heard the anti-plummer banter and just joined the bandwagon,

never judge a book by its cover

To be fair the Plummer terrier was bred to work rat's, that's not to say some won't work fox. If you don't like the look of the breed or the handfull you've seen work, don't get into the breed easy as. If you ever met Brian you would know he did'nt take himself that seriously and 9 out of 10 article's written by him were to amuse himself as the barrage of abuse that came back made him laugh. At Lowther horse Trials he put up a challenge that his king charles spaniel (Charlotte) could out work any terrier below/above ground that was on the show field that day, and not one terrier man came forward, Brian laughed all the back to Abington.

i take it you are talking about the plummer in cmw called "cwm garw senior "?

i dont know the lad personally but i know he works his dogs, if you were such an expert on dogs to cast an opinion like that then you would know that its whats inside a dog that counts, you obviously have just had a quick glance at the dogs picture and heard the anti-plummer banter and just joined the bandwagon,

never judge a book by its cover

never said i was a expert and i havent joined on no bandwagon and havent had just a quick glance i am not anti plummer not anti anyone what i said is the plummer terrier looks to weak in the jaw and to big to be of use to do fox work over a long period of its life

As usual got my cmw today and there in the folds is another plummer terrier, ive not really took a lot of notice of the breed .seen its develope over the years right back from omega/vampire even san but havent taken a critical look, as they were really only tested at rats and most of the big catches in plummers diarys were far from the truth ,but today in cmw theres some show champion from some show and i must admit if that is a good example of the breed all i can say is they are proberly only suited to rats cant seen them having the strenght to really last hard terrier work year in year out trader

trader, i might be wrong in my oppinion, but to me a long term digging dog would have to have the gameness to mix it but also the intelligence to back off and bay when needed...going by these guidelines then theres nothing stopping mr gardners dog being a usefull tool to dig with...you would do well to read timjims post again and take note...its not the size of a do, its whats inside.......big dogs are only as good as the holes they fit into and knowing mr gardner personally i can vouch for his dogs being workers...as you say, all entitled to our opinion...all the best.