old music, new music

Does anybody else notice, that old music, such as "the eagles", has a meaning to every song? Im only 21, and i love all the 70's 80s stuff, such as the eagles & the rolling stones. Its because, when you care to listen to the words, rather than the noise, they actually mean something.

How much "modern" music is actually designed so that you listen to the words, not the noise?

Yet again, the eagles. Just now, i have them playing, and just had peaceful easy feeling on, then take it easy... and i think it is amazing, how the words can change your mood within a click of a finger.....

"take it to the limit" is now playing

Does anybody else notice, that old music, such as "the eagles", has a meaning to every song? Im only 21, and i love all the 70's 80s stuff, such as the eagles & the rolling stones. Its because, when you care to listen to the words, rather than the noise, they actually mean something.

How much "modern" music is actually designed so that you listen to the words, not the noise?

Yet again, the eagles. Just now, i have them playing, and just had peaceful easy feeling on, then take it easy... and i think it is amazing, how the words can change your mood within a click of a finger.....

"take it to the limit" is now playing

Top man, tell your mates, get everyone involved.

If you like The Eagles you'll love Barclay James Harvest, trust me, start with their album Gone To Earth, Hymn will move you, it's all about the stupidity of taking drugs. Poor Man’s Moody Blues is a belter, Love Is Like A Violin is orgasmic.

BJH are disbanded now but their music lives on. Look here http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/

I recon you’ll like The Moody Blue’s too!

most song writers today have nothing to say.

"shake that ass, f*ck me f*ck your sista," etc and so on...

i love a good ballad that tells a story and you dont get that much these days. its either heart break, love, or depression.

so i agree..... i listen to a lot of stuff from the 60's 70's and 80's, or new age stuff.. and i'm 25

dont give a rat's ass if others like it. its my radio and i'll play what i like lol

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Nice to hear someone of your age discovering stuff like that, RH. I was into The Eagles first time round. Have ye heard their album " Desperado " yet?

Some other stuff that was going down well with the Aging Hippies at that time (and yes; I'm afraid that's who was into all that stuff, myself included! :laugh:) was Jackson Brown and The Doobie Brothers. Fleetwood Mac brought out the legendary album, " Rumours " and, if ye haven't heard that yet, ye in for a treat! I don't think it was featured on Rumours, but they then had the Chrissie MacVee based single, " You Make Loving Fun ". Absolute f*cking belter! Her voice being that much smoother than the more up front girl, whose name, of course, vanished as soon as I went to mention it!

Perhaps not so much what you're thinking of, but Supertramp were of the type. My first wife despised them with a vengeance! Really had a grudge against them. Used to refer to the lead singer as 'That reedy voiced, skinny little streak of affected crap.' Then, one evening there was a doccumentary about them. It showed him, at home, high on a mountain top somewhere and saying how they'd got away up there to make a better life for their daughter and generally, quietly, voicing his concerns for the way the world was going. Came over, of course, as a genuinely bloody nice bloke and the wife was completely turned around from that night on :yes:

Anyway, I know how tedious these Threads can become, once they degenerate into an, 'I like and you should listen to' fest. But The Eagles? Yeah. Christ, those were the days! " Lyin' Eyes " :notworthy:

since you mentioned supertramp.... i'm a fan. totally love the song "Goodbye Stranger" .. my favourite out of all their songs i guess.... the words in it are just so down to earth and factual.

"Now some they do and some they dont

And some you just cant tell

And some they will and some they wont

With some its just as well"

that song will always make me stop what i'm doing so i can listen lol not sure what the attraction is because i certainly never lived my life like that! wishful thinking maybe?

i also love Joe Walsh.... Life's Been Good ... that one makes me laugh at the pure selfish honestly "just leave a message, maybe i'll call"

I love The Eagles. Their new album is excellent! A favourite of mine is Desperado too but i'll always love Hotel California.

I have to say though, some modern artists do have meaning to their songs. Take a listen to Beth Hart, her songs do have real meaning, Leave a light on is brilliant!

At the moment I quite like Duffy, Gabriella Cilmi and Amy McDonald, all 'real' artists so to speak that seem to actually think about what they write.

I grew up listening to the like of The Eagles, The Beatles, Springsteen and Chris Rea and still listen to a lot of 'older' stuff. My cd collection is really eclectic, many of my friends hate getting in my car for fear of what may be playing! :laugh:

My daughter loves Dolly Parton who i'm not so keen on... :laugh:

Know what you're saying mate but there is still some very good music being made beyond the 70s. I'm 45 so lucky enough to have seen Led Zep, Sabbath, Santana, Neil Young, Floyd, John Martyn, The Stones, The Who and a whole load of classic bands in their prime.

As an Eagles fan you may enjoy The Jayhawks, Wilco and Teenage Fan Club. For lyrical content with meaning The Arctic Monkeys make some great comments whether you like their tunes or not.

Having said that a lot of the old school musicians have recently been putting out some truly excellent albums - Dylan, Springsteen, Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris, Robert Plant with Alison Kraus.

Keep an open mind and good stuff'll find you.

Like ditch i caught the Eagles first time round and i was glad when there 14 year break finished i like Long road out of eden but not as much as there earlier stuff

i really discovered the eagles, stones etc.... when i was about 13-14 But had listened to tapes when i was about 8, driving back home from a nights waterfowling with my dad. The drifters also.....

Ballybricken, yes i'v got the job. And getting my new car tommorow :D

Ditch, yes, "lyin eyes" is a cracker..... more favourites include "get over it" "already gone" "THE LAST RESORT"

:D f'ing quality