WIRELESS CONNECTION HELP

i have just set up my wireless and whilst thehome comp is up and running perfectly i cant connect the kids laptops ??? when i try to connect using the laptops they find the computer they then ask for the pass phrase which i enter i click connect ... i then get connection unsucsesfull the laptop is connected to your computer it does not have access to the internet .... it then says this may be caused by incorrect WEP key ( whatever that is is ???) or low wireless signal strengh ... however i dont think its signal strengh as the signals says its excelent .... it also says if you are conecting to a wireless hotspot you might need to open a web browser to finish connecting ??? ... if i click on diagnose this problem it shows connected with limited accsess ... the strengh signal shows i have full strengh ??? HELP HELP HELP ...........

Log into your router via your home computer & check your settings. It sounds like your not having problems with the wired connection, just the wireless. Has the laptop got an ethernet port? You could try the laptop on a wired conection, just to see if there's a problem with the laptop.

When you set your wireless, did you encrypt it like they recommend? Meaning enter a password so that other people can't use your wireless?

If so when they ask for the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) that will be what you type in. If you're with Sky, for example, it'll be stamped on the back of the router.

If it's low signal you might have to wait until it isn't.

When you set your wireless, did you encrypt it like they recommend? Meaning enter a password so that other people can't use your wireless?

If so when they ask for the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) that will be what you type in. If you're with Sky, for example, it'll be stamped on the back of the router.

If it's low signal you might have to wait until it isn't.

when i set it up it asked me to name it and give a password which i did ... i have entered it and the password when asked for but it still dont work .......

what type of router are you using?

what type of wireless connection has your laptop got ?

only asking because i had a pcmcia card in my laptop and it was B rated

so to use wpa which is better encryption it is G rated(hope this makes sense)

i had to buy another card G rated...

if you use a card in your laptop have a look to see if it says

IEEE802.11B

IEEE802.11G

as i said the the difference is in the B & G

and a B card won't work with WPA encryption

or if the laptop is internal wireless check your settings that they are on G

i know it's a bit long winded,but i can't write what i want to say,if that makes any sense

when i set it up it asked me to name it and give a password which i did ... i have entered it and the password when asked for but it still dont work .......

Strange that. Passwords are case sensitive though, so that may be a factor.

Also what gear are you using? If it's Netgear I may be able to help further.

Does it work if you use a Cat 5 cable, if you can switch wireless on and off that it is switched on, I used a cat 5 cable to speed things up for a while while I was doing some work online and realised a few days later I was still on wireless, lol, I really should read instructions.

it also says if you are conecting to a wireless hotspot you might need to open a web browser to finish connecting ??? ... if i click on diagnose this problem it shows connected with limited accsess

This makes me wonder mind as I have been getting this same message since a bloody windows vista update last week, I have to disconnect from my router and then reconnect, its norm ok after that.