iv got two lamping dogs....my one dog wont jump and waits to be chucked over the fences....my other dog jumps pig wire with 2 strands of barbed and an electric fence 4 feet away from main fence....a big jump!!! problem i see is if they jump fences at night they cant see what there jumping into..a mates dog dislocated his shoulder jumping flat out and getting it wrong with a ditch the other side of the fence,......im 6'4 and fairly strong so it dosnt bother me chucking my lurcher over a fence...when i was younger all my dogs had to jump but now i cant be arsed stitching them up so i prefer to lift them.....i lamp 3 or 4 times a week and a ripped or injured dog aint much use to me....each to there own i guess....

quote"dog jumps pig wire with 2 strands of barbed and an electric fence 4 feet away from main fence"

Lets say that the barbed wire fence is 4ft high and like you say the electric fence is 4ft away so you consider a 4ftx4ft obstacle quote"a big jump" i think your find that most peoples terriers on here would clear that, i will stick with what i said clueless but best of luck with the dogs :thumbs:

get your pics posted then my friend....a terrier can clear 4ft x 4ft without touching??? may be the start of a decent thread?? no pics of dogs clearing single fences lets see the big stuff then???....im intreaged!!! proofs in the pudding hey mate!!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

ive only got to finches and a ferret called britney :laugh:

ok then...a thread intitled LETS SEE YOUR FERRETS JUMP!!! god dam it.... :hmm::yes::boogie:

whats wrong with not wanting your dogs to jump?

mine do but i cringe each and every time they choose to do it on the lamp, wish they wouldnt. day time on command is ideal as and when needed but to blindly jump on the lamp is and has been the end to many a lamping dog.

Guest on the hill

a good way to teach a dog to jump is by not giveing into the dog when he refuses to jump and when he jumps the fence give it some well deserved attention (make him feel like he has jumped the english chanel). as for the debate on weather or not to train the dog to jump or not all i can say is its a "catch 22" situation as the dog could run into the fence and cause it alot of dammage but also jumping has its own obvious dangers

:good:

• 1 month later...

The one thing I've found in these types of posts is that some folk cant agree on the colour of shite...The guy asked for advice keep the slagging for private c'mon guys letting yourself's down here. Jumping I believe is crucial especially during the day...funny enough when I lamp and the rabbit goes under the fence I switch lamp off and the dog stops and comes back to me....It comes down to personal choice whether or not you want your dog to jump or not. 8)8)

• 2 weeks later...

what my mate dose to start his dogs jumping is putting a board in front of the kennel, low to start with then over time build the height up. dog has to jump to get out, and when the dog gets out gets loads of praise.

what my mate dose to start his dogs jumping is putting a board in front of the kennel, low to start with then over time build the height up. dog has to jump to get out, and when the dog gets out gets loads of praise.

Spot on, all my lurchers jump, from 70lb bullxs to 20lb whippets that ive had in 25 years+.

My pup now a 1x collie grey, Bryn he is a great jumper. Every thing he clears easy, he is 24ins

and 57lb, if you are lamping with a dozen rabbits on your back, it does make life a bit more

easy when your dog can jump. :victory:

BIRD