Went to check my lady's this morning(7 rhode island reds, ex battery hens) and was extremely suprised to find a very small egg nestled in with 5 normal sized eggs! :icon_eek: Anyone else had anything like this happen before? or are my chickens just weird?post-18074-1210679418_thumb.jpg

When my hens had just got to point of lay their first eggs were that size... some didn't even have a shell on and were just in a pliable, transparant sack. How old are the hens?... may be that one is coning to the end of its productivity?... thats just a guess though.. :whistling:

They are coming up 52 weeks....when do they tend to stop laying?

Not to bothered about them not laying though as they make fab pets one tends to follow me everywhere bless her

They are coming up 52 weeks....when do they tend to stop laying?

Not to bothered about them not laying though as they make fab pets one tends to follow me everywhere bless her

They should have a couple more years of laying.

I'm afraid once laying is over i'll propbably nut mine, i've got an old breed , silver sussex and i think they probably lay for longer.

we had a duck egg like that a couple of months ago. We have about 15 hens, 3 ducks and 2 bantams. The ducks eggs are normally quite large (1 1/2x bigger than a large chicken egg) and the bantam eggs are 1/3 the size of the chickens eggs. This duck egg was smaller than the bantam. The only way we knew it was a ducks egg was it is a Cayuga with VERY distinct coloration. It was a bit smaller than yours.

when I was a kid we'd periodically get the "bag-o-puss" eggs, they made for MINT bombs to throw at my unsuspecting bitch of a sister :clapper: no wonder we don't speak now ....

They're often called windy or witches eggs down here. We had a spate of them as our pullets came into lay a few weeks back. They're all white with no yolk, but the kids blew them for the novelty.

the small duck egg had no yolk, they laid last year fine and sporadically through the winter, then started again 1x day for a few weeks and then this fluke egg was leaid. It's been a couple of months now and the ducks are laying at least 1x day, no other mini eggs since just the one

• 2 weeks later...

Well i actually got round to cracking it after i'd shown everyone it! :11: As a few of you said there was just liquid and no yolk, and i have'nt had another like it but i have an idea that it was laid by the one i ended up necking cos it had been bullied real bad by all the others,why is it that chickens always pick on one cos now they've turned on my dolly(fave bird)she had a scrap last week where she ended up losing the top of her beak but she put up a good fight bless her,but now i'm worried about her...will her beak grow back?????

why is it that chickens always pick on one cos now they've turned on my dolly(fave bird)

Just depends which one is bottom of the pecking order mate. May be best to seperate her from the more dominant birds if she is actually getting damaged.

she ended up losing the top of her beak but she put up a good fight bless her,but now i'm worried about her...will her beak grow back?????

Duno mate, which part of the beak has she lost?

Well i actually got round to cracking it after i'd shown everyone it! :11: As a few of you said there was just liquid and no yolk, and i have'nt had another like it but i have an idea that it was laid by the one i ended up necking cos it had been bullied real bad by all the others,why is it that chickens always pick on one cos now they've turned on my dolly(fave bird)she had a scrap last week where she ended up losing the top of her beak but she put up a good fight bless her,but now i'm worried about her...will her beak grow back?????

The beak will regrow but it will take a while, if she has lost a lot of her top beak she wont be able to eat/drink I dont know what you would be able to do about that, if you really want to keep her see a vet or if she starts going down hill do the right thing and put her out of her misery. You can tell chickens are on their way out when they just sit in laying position and wont move when given a gentle shove, their feathers ruffled too. Hope this helps.

Well i had a good look at dolly today and her top beak is regrowing..it looks like it's shed a layer of beak if that makes any sense?

She is eating ok as i have kept an eye on her for that reason! Thanks guy's all the info it is much appreiciated. :D

Don't laugh cos it's true but I've fixed a broken budgie beak by gluing a lady's (I would'nt waste one of mine) false fingernail onto the broken stump and trimming it to shape.Lasted until the beak re-grew.