Little sweet heart

Guest Magwitch

why not breed silvers????i agree to not breeding silver TO silver but you cant say dont breed silvers full stop :wallbash: if bred to another colour(preferably with no silver parents)should be no problems!look at my recent litter to see that! 11 kits,2 wk old and all as healthy as a lop! :tongue2:

That comment shows a profound lack of knowledge of basic genetics.

Not altogether uncommon in those who choose to breed for colour.

and very worrying to say the least, there does seem to be alot of breeding going on here though :icon_eek:

Well is that against the law ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats up with these people?

whats your problem with breeding silvers?

as stated as long as its not silver to silver, there's no problems, unless you know better, but leaving a :no: without a reason behind the comment, don't give us much to comment on

for a start,i bred her because shes the best ferret ive had without a doubt,shes over 3 and i wanted some young from her.she was bred to a polecat with no history(as far as i can see)of silvers. i understand the risks and minimised them! if no one bred silvers and breeding them was a guaranteed disaster then why are there so many healthy silvers around??

Guest Magwitch

She's been lined with a unrelated albino who's name is Terry. i never breed silver to silver and i only breed if i need a new fur coat. :laugh:

Edited by Magwitch
She's been lined with a unrelated albino who's name is Terry. i never breed silver to silver and i only breed if i need a new fur coat. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

No it isn't.

That doesn't mean it's neccessary or desirable though.

And if you must breed (rather than merely want to) then I suggest it makes sense to understand the full genetic implications of what you are doing.

Something that magwitch demonsterably fails to do: her recent posts confirm that her knowledge of genetics is zero.

No it isn't.

And if you must breed (rather than merely want to) then I suggest it makes sense to understand the full genetic implications of what you are doing.

Something that magwitch demonsterably fails to do: her recent posts confirm that her knowledge of genetics is zero.

She's a he :laugh:

you'd think with an extensive knowledge of genetics,droid would have known that! :laugh: on a serious note,you never answered my question?if breeding silvers,full stop is so taboo,why are there so many healthy ones around? :hmm:

No it isn't.

no disrespect here droid, but your a newish member to the forum, slating some more experienced ferreters on their ferret keeping abilities and breeding seasons, and their sex (magwitch a she :whistling: )

we seem to have an increasing amount of ferret keepers, that are more pet owners, rather than ferreters/rabbiters, Im not knocking them, I was one Infact myself once, but you seem to have this reason for saying its bad to breed silvers, and that "WE" dont know or understand generics, prehaps you would care to enlightens us all with a post on your views, rather than just keep leaving knocking posts

those were my thought exactly stubby but i was too polite to say so! :haha: i was going to offer droid a few ferreting lessons in exchange for a few in genetics though :whistling: .....

no disrespect here droid, but your a newish member to the forum, slating some more experienced ferreters on their ferret keeping abilities and breeding seasons, and their sex (magwitch a she :whistling: )

we seem to have an increasing amount of ferret keepers, that are more pet owners, rather than ferreters/rabbiters, Im not knocking them, I was one Infact myself once, but you seem to have this reason for saying its bad to breed silvers, and that "WE" dont know or understand generics, prehaps you would care to enlightens us all with a post on your views, rather than just keep leaving knocking posts

I'm not knocking ferreters, I'm knocking those who breed without fully understanding the genetic basis of that breeding. So read my posts properly, stubby.

That's got bugger all to do with hunting.

For the record: silvers/DEWs have, within their genetic makeup, a 'lethal' gene. This gene is somerwhat variable, in other words it doesn't always exert an effect, and the effect it exerts can be variable, up to and including reabsorbtion of the foetus.

The gene is basically recessive, needing a version from both the hob and the jill to have it's more harmful effects. This means that it can 'jump' generations. Just because no effect has been seen for 2 or 3 generations doesn't mean that the gene has gone, just that the breeder has been lucky.

The ONLY way of getting rid of this gene from the British ferret populations is to avoid breeding from 'lines' that have produced Silvers or DEW's

That's my view.

This applies to ferrets bred for ferreting, pets, shows or fur coats.

The genetics couldn't give a toss, and neither could I. :tongue2:

those were my thought exactly stubby but i was too polite to say so! :haha: i was going to offer droid a few ferreting lessons in exchange for a few in genetics though :whistling: .....

No problem there. :laugh:

so are you saying that silvers should be erradicated? :icon_eek: i thought racsist posts weren't allowed! :laugh:

If you wish to get rid of the lethal gene, yes. In as much as you shouldn't breed from them or lines that produce them.

If, of course, you ain't bothered about the genetic health of the British ferret population, then carry on regardless.

You might care to increase the frequency of the Waardenburg's gene by breeding mitts and blazes too. :clapper:

Edited by droid